• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

am i 7 or 4 or 9?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I think that my enneagram type is 7 but the online tests have never been especially decisive. Please feel free to ask me questions to help me figure out my enneagram type. Specific questions would be especially appreciated.
:doh:

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Think of what your main drive in life is...

In the case of 4s, their main drive is to find their place in the world, and usually 4s do this via creativity. They like to set themselves apart from others, regard themselves as unique. They're also quite emotional, and are quintessential romantics. If you find yourself more of the wistful, yearning, romantic type, chances are you're a 4.
Did you find that in your childhood, you felt left out of something, or lost someone close to you?

9s tend to be much more laid back, and prefer to look on the bright side of life (cue Monty Python song). They also don't like conflict, and do as much as they can to avoid it. If you feel your motto is "Don't worry, be happy." you're likely a 9.

7s need constant entertainment. Have you ever felt the need to get out of the house to spend time with friends?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Thank you, Curious Feeling.
Here are my answers, which, alas, clarifies nothing...
First for four:
I feel that I am very creative. I do a lot of artsy type stuff, as well as crafts. I don't, however, see myself as especially unique and I don't really care to see myself in that way. But I am very expressive and am for sure a romantic type. And, yes, in my childhood, I felt left out. We moved a fair amount and I always felt like the odd kid out. It didn't help that I had an undiagnosed learning disability and that I was much smaller than my classmates.
Sigh.
On to nine: Yes, I truly dislike conflict. I tend to walk away when people are quarreling. I just don't like that at all. For the most part, I do tend to be more optimistic than pessimistic.
I'm not sure, though, if my motto in life is "don't worry, be happy." On the other hand, I'd rather do something about the unpleasant things in life instead of worrying about them.
OK. Number seven: I truly like entertainment and I like getting out of the house to see friends or just getting out the house...
Hmmm... I'm just not sure.
More questions???

In the case of 4s, their main drive is to find their place in the world, and usually 4s do this via creativity. They like to set themselves apart from others, regard themselves as unique. They're also quite emotional, and are quintessential romantics. If you find yourself more of the wistful, yearning, romantic type, chances are you're a 4.
Did you find that in your childhood, you felt left out of something, or lost someone close to you?

9s tend to be much more laid back, and prefer to look on the bright side of life (cue Monty Python song). They also don't like conflict, and do as much as they can to avoid it. If you feel your motto is "Don't worry, be happy." you're likely a 9.

7s need constant entertainment. Have you ever felt the need to get out of the house to spend time with friends?

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

I think it can be hard to tell the difference between 4 and 7 depending on other personality factors. What you described for 4s fits me very well, but I'm actually a 7.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
What were the factors that helped you decide that? Maybe that would help me to decide...:workout:

I think it can be hard to tell the difference between 4 and 7 depending on other personality factors. What you described for 4s fits me very well, but I'm actually a 7.

VagrantFarce

Consider the core drives of each:

• 4s are afraid of being cut off from having their own unique identity, and overcompensate by drowning themselves in a sea of self-indulgent emotion and reflection.
  • 7s are afraid of having unpleasant feelings or experiences, or being deprived of opportunity, and overcompensate with constant activity and unending optimism.
  • 9s are afraid that they will generate conflict or not be included by others, and overcompensate by being overly-agreeable and calm by withdrawing from unpleasant experiences.
Tip: don't just go with the one you identify with most - go with the one that best reflects why you make the decisions you make on a day-to-day, minute-to-minute basis.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6

• 4s are afraid of being cut off from having their own unique identity, and overcompensate by drowning themselves in a sea of self-indulgent emotion and reflection.
  • 7s are afraid of having unpleasant feelings or experiences, or being deprived of opportunity, and overcompensate with constant activity and unending optimism.
  • 9s are afraid that they will generate conflict or not be included by others, and overcompensate by being overly-agreeable and calm by withdrawing from unpleasant experiences.
Tip: don't just go with the one you identify with most - go with the one that best reflects why you make the decisions you make on a day-to-day, minute-to-minute basis.
\

Those descriptions would not help me. According to that I'm 7 and 4.

Reading this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/25141-triad-definitions.html

and this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/24963-type-seven.html

and this: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/24960-type-four.html

and also this:http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/enneagram/29019-soul-child-type-seven-point-five.html

helped me figure out what I was.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Based on songs alone, I'm probably a nine! That song makes me smile! It's so cheerful, even when the singer is faced with eviction. I really enjoy all of that happiness. My second favorite was "Girls Just Want to Have Fun." That was good entertainment. The third song didn't do much of anything for me...

KDude

you've always seemed 7 to me :) i have a bigger impression of that than your mbti type actually

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Based on songs alone, I'm probably a nine! That song makes me smile! It's so cheerful, even when the singer is faced with eviction. I really enjoy all of that happiness. My second favorite was "Girls Just Want to Have Fun." That was good entertainment. The third song didn't do much of anything for me...

4s are also reserved, hold themselves back so then people don't think they are defective, or leave themselves vulnerable to others.

7s are outgoing, enthusiastic, and optimistic, and spontaneous.

9s, they are more chill, peacemakers.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You may prefer the tritype approach, seeing as 7-4-9 are each in different triads.

Otherwise Enneagram Institute may be able to help you. Look not only at positive motivators but the negative ones too.

7s Key Motivations: Want to maintain their freedom and happiness, to avoid missing out on worthwhile experiences, to keep themselves excited and occupied, to avoid and discharge pain.

9s Key Motivations: Want to create harmony in their environment, to avoid conflicts and tension, to preserve things as they are, to resist whatever would upset or disturb them.

4s Key Motivations: Want to express themselves and their individuality, to create and surround themselves with beauty, to maintain certain moods and feelings, to withdraw to protect their self-image, to take care of emotional needs before attending to anything else, to attract a "rescuer."

wolfy

awsm
It might be useful to look at the basic desires.

4: To find identity and personal significance from inner experience.

7: To be satisfied and content and have their needs fulfilled.

9: To have inner stability and peace of mind.

Do the core drives come from a place of fear? They are fixations as far as I understand so they could but that isn't how I took it. These seem more like common ways of compensating and trying to achieve the core fixation of the type. But not as a core drive. It seems misleading to focus on compensating behaviour when it is a system of motivation and fixation. You'd think there would be so many ways that an individual could deal with a core drive.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
OK. Here goes.
Walking Tourist's Description of Walking Tourist:
Wow. This isn't so easy. I'm much more used to describing other people than describing myself!
Hmmm. Maybe I'll try interviewing myself!
WT, talk about some of your favorite activities.
Well. I like to walk, which is not much of a surprise, considering that my screen name is "Walking Tourist." I really like walking near water or on nature trails. I like to find a few wild raspberries and I like to spot interesting birds. I like the colors of the flowers and the shapes of the fluffy clouds. I like walking long distances on a clear day or even on a rainy day, now that I have a great set of rain gear that will keep me from getting soaking wet and crabby.
Tell me about your artistic activities.
I like to draw and paint. Well, I still prefer draw to paint, but I'm getting to like using the paintbrush now. My favorite media are graphite, colored pencil, and watercolor.
What sorts of subjects do you draw and paint and which ones do you like best?
I will draw and paint just about anything that I see, just because it's there. I really love drawing people's faces. I've learned that all faces are fascinating. The people who own those faces have stories to tell! I would want to hear those stories.
I also like drawing and painting buildings, especially those with unusually shaped doors or with big windows.
Do you have anything more to say about windows?
Oh yes. Windows. I love windows. I love to window shop when I'm walking. I like to see colorful displays inside stores. I like windowsills and windowboxes full of flowers. I remember having a painting teacher who did a demonstration painting of tomatoes ripening on a windowsill.
What crafts do you like to do?
I like to sew and crochet and paint on fabric and glass. Also I like embroidery. I recently made a tote bag with granny squares and a cotton lining with pockets.
I know that you can't wait. Talk about food.
Oh. yes. Food. I love it. I like fresh fruits and vegetables and fresh bread with real unsalted butter. There. I said it. Butter. Mmmm. I love melons. Any kinds of melons. They get me all happy with my mouth watering. I love to eat seafood! Oh boy! My mouth is watering like crazy just at the mere mention of seafood!
What else about food? Hmmm. Well. I'll try anything once. I've been known to say, "I can't identify this; therefore, I will eat it!" I'm glad that no one is trying to poison me. I'd be an easy target. I'd do a taste test and keel over! But... I digress!!
What kind of books do you like to read and who are some of your favorite authors?
My favorite authors are Gunter Grass, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Isabel Allende. I love magic realism. It is a fantastic style! Right now, however, I am reading a book called "The Dollmaker," by Harriett Arnow. It was written in the early 1950s and is set in Detroit during World War II. It's an interesting story about a woman who is from Kentucky who ends up in Detroit with her five children because her husband gets a job there. The story is very gritty and realistic. At times, it is almost too gritty and realistic for me. The first description of the housing project that the family moves to is so unpleasant that I had this sudden urge to race upstairs and take a shower!
Say something about the movies and music that you like.
Well. Everyone who knows me knows that I'm really squeamish and that I can't watch anything that is violent or gory. They usually have to tell me when it's safe for me to open my eyes again! I like beautiful movies, with great photography. Having a good musical background helps, too! Some of my favorite movies were "Microcosmos," "Winged Migration," "The Secret of the Roan Inish," "A Time for Drunken Horses"...
Oh music. I love medieval music and Celtic music and marimba bands. I like music to dance to and to sing and I like to play rhythm instruments and I like to dance (not awesomely, I'm afraid). I just don't like loud music and electrical music because of my annoyingly sensitive ears!!!
Friends. A lot or a few?
Yes. Depending on the situation. I really enjoying spending time with my friends. I like telling jokes and hearing jokes. I like hearing my friends tell me stories. It's fun to sing with them and go swimming and have adventures with them.
Do you think that you are unique and that no one understands you?
Well. I have to be a little mysterious. That way, I can keep on surprising people. But I don't really think that I am totally unique. I don't know that I'd want to be. I'd want to have things in common with other people. As for no one understanding me, well, I don't think that other people are that dense. I'd like to think that I have smart friends.
OK, what about being a peacemaker? Do you see yourself in that role?
I'd like to because I really don't like war or violence. I don't like conflict and negativity very much. But am I a good mediator? I don't know. I really don't like to be surrounded by that much negative energy.
But don't you protest war? And you've been in prison for protesting, right?
Well. Yes, that's true. I've done those things. Sometimes, I've done them impulsively. I'm happy that I was determined enough to do those things. It's not my favorite activity but I feel good about it, nevertheless.
Let's switch to careers. If you could pick any career, what would you choose?
Oh boy. So many ideas, so little money to go back to school! I would go for fashion design or archaeology or art history or horticulture or landscape design or architecture... All of those would be interesting!
Hmmm. What about animals? Do you like them and do they like you?
Yes, I get along with animals. When I was a kid, stray cats used to follow me to school. Now I work occasionally as a petsitter. I get along well with the cats and dogs. They are so much fun.
Is there anything that you'd like to add?
Yes. Someday I want to walk the Appalachian Trail.
That's it. I can't think of anything else.
Thank you for taking the time to talk to me.
You're welcome.

Walking Tourist, how would you describe yourself?

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
part two

OK, now for some negative stuff.
Really? Yuck!
How do you handle stress?
Oh with a brief amount of whining or I'll just ignore it in hopes that it will go away.
Does it go away?
Well, if I ignore it long enough, I'll forget about it and move onto something... um... tastier... um... better...
What sort of behaviors from other people irritate you the most?
I really don't like to be told what to do. I don't like to be patronized, and I don't like arrogance. I also don't like it when I feel as if my emotions are being manipulated. So I don't like overtly sappy movies or stuff like that. I don't like being manipulated into feeling something or thinking something. I can think and feel for myself!:steam:
Share some ways in which you've dealt with really annoying people.
When people come to my house to sell me something (a product or a religion, for example), I sometimes will say, Oh. I have something on the stove, and it's about to burn. I have to go. Good bye. There were other occasions when I had no trouble in getting rid of really annoying people. I once told a Moonie that his church was sponsored by the Korean CIA. He left me in a terrific hurry! I told a heavy breather on the phone that he should quit smoking!
OK, thank you.
Oh. yeah. One more thing. I really, really, really hate being ignored!!! I just had to add that.
Did someone speak?
Arrrrrrrrgggggghhh!!!

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
WalkingTourist, I suspect you're a 9w1.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What is your instinctual variant stacking? If you know this, then you can read the descriptions for that specific stacking for types 4, 7, and 9. These descriptions should be even more disparate than the main type definitions, which may help you determine your type.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
That is a good question. I don't have a clue!!! How would I find that out?
edit: problem solved. I took an instinctive variant test. Here are the results:
sexual: 62%
social: 50%
self-preservation: 46%

What is your instinctual variant stacking? If you know this, then you can read the descriptions for that specific stacking for types 4, 7, and 9. These descriptions should be even more disparate than the main type definitions, which may help you determine your type.