• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Observations of enneagram types and being mistyped in MBTI and the enneagram

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I did nothing of the sort! There's a bunch of INTP 9s. They're cool, funny, easygoing ones, where I'm the neurotic mess type of INTP.

wolfy

awsm
I wonder why a 9 isfp could come across as istp or think of themselves that way. I am isfp 9w8 sp/sx, I thought it was maybe the 8 wing. I've never been mistyped by anyone, only myself.

G

Glycerine

No wonder, I got all confused. I'm 3w4 but I frequently turn to 5w4 and 9w1 in my tri-type. I was confused about S/N, E/I and heck I first typed myself as INTP. I am the biggest doormat of a 3 that will ever meet.:rofl1:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey guys! I'm glad that you liked my thread. I haven't been able to access a computer until now, so I'm going to respond to some points now.

What do you (or others) see as the distinctions between an INTJ 5w4 vs. 5w6; and similarly, an INTP 5w4 vs. 5w6? I consider myself 5w6, but my knowledge of enneagram is rather limited and other perspectives are helpful.

Well for me 5w6 and 5w4 just have generally a different feel. Maybe this will help, from the type 5 thread-

5w4s tend to be more subjective than 5w6s. Their thinking process is less incremental and has more "illogical leaps". They search for that one angle of looking at things that magically makes everything make sense to them. They have a bias towards seeing underlying patterns that fit together aesthetically and elegantly as more real and therefore closer to the truth. They see a plethora of nonrandom things that just happen to line up towards a single conclusion as evidence of some "higher meaning" to support their conclusion, or even an indication of fate. Such a lining up of tells amidst random chaos couldn't be chance or random. There must be something there that isn't obvious but no less significant if not more so. This makes 5w4s more likely to see things that aren't there than miss things that are there. They tend to have occultic and esoteric areas of interest.

5w6s tend to have more sequential and incremental streams of consciousness and lack the "illogical leaps" of 5w4s. There is a process of gradual solidification to their reasoning that makes them natural synthesizers of what they take into account. They tend to have a "one thing progresses to another" way of coming to a conclusion that's generally more precise and easier to follow. They have bias against solutions arrived at primarily aesthetically for not being objective enough. They prefer a thinking process that is more "valid" and can withstand more scrutiny. They are more likely to see a bunch of things that cluster as "coincidental" and not an indication of some higher meaning that they can't explain, unless they can tie things in the cluster together in some way. They tend to not believe in fate. Much of life is random and they accept that. They are more likely to miss things that are there than see things that aren't there like their 5w4s siblings. They tend to be more methodical and analytical and gravitate to more structured intellectual areas.

8w9s are calmer, not "nicer". Think Darth Vader.

Yes, that's a very good distinction. I couldn't think of a better word.

I wonder why a 9 isfp could come across as istp or think of themselves that way. I am isfp 9w8 sp/sx, I thought it was maybe the 8 wing. I've never been mistyped by anyone, only myself.

Well, by definition 9's are detached from their instincts (to keep the peace and calm), and are equally strong in Thinking and Feeling (enneagram wise).

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Hey BlackCat... since you are back, wanted to bump this and get your opinion/input...

I am an ENFP and I really struggled to find something I identified with in Enneagram. Eventually when I started looking at the descriptions with the wings, 9w8 was the only thing that seemed to really fit for me. Just reading 9 by itself didn't seem to work at all.

So I think I'm ENFP 9w8 but I am really not sure.

Does this seem like a contradictory combination or is it pretty likely? The more I think about it the less confident I get.

Also I have moments where I wonder if I'm ENTP but I really feel pretty confident in ENFP.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey BlackCat... since you are back, wanted to bump this and get your opinion/input...

I think that ENFP 9w8 fits you. :) Sorry, I meant to respond to you there.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think that ENFP 9w8 fits you. :) Sorry, I meant to respond to you there.
Thanks.

What you posted earlier about 9s being equally strong with thinking vs feeling seems to fit with what I think about myself too. When I have to pick on test or something, I prefer the F options, but really I think in practice I can use either very well as required by the situation.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The stereotypical I_FPs are 4's, and I_FP 9's can seem to be I_TP from the untrained eye.

:huh:

I think IxFP 9s come across as warmer/softer than IxFP 4s. Maybe because their fear of conflict is even higher.

MBTI Type
INFJ
I did nothing of the sort! There's a bunch of INTP 9s. They're cool, funny, easygoing ones, where I'm the neurotic mess type of INTP.

I had an INTP 9 bf...... OR....he might have been an ISFP 9 boyfriend whom I mistook for a I_TP because of his nineness...? I am confused now and reconsidering this.....

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
How come when I take the instinctual variants test by itself I get a strong sp result, but when I take the enneagram test that has instinctual variants, I get Type 5 sx?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think IxFP 9s come across as warmer/softer than IxFP 4s. Maybe because their fear of conflict is even higher.

Definitely I think the Peacemaker type (9) is far more diplomatic and emotionally unthreatening vs the more dramatic type (4), although INFPs tend to fall into either category. (in a parallel way, INTPs tend to fall into 5 and 9.)

The whole goal is 9 is balance, stability, and dampening harsh emotions in order to keep things uniform; 4 is about something else (i.e., finding the passion and unique individuality and bringing it out), almost to be noticed or at least appreciated or give a personal flair.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I think Jennifer's observations are well-expressed; it's more than just being warmer/softer ... for example, when I am around NT's in any workplace, I tend to form myself around that energy ... that's not softer or warmer, it's more analytical and chill. But when the dynamic becomes too narrow I guess I do work to broaden that; if things are negative I seek to inject positive, and too positive I tend to advocate caution.

It's more about attuning to the emotional tenor of the the place and smoothing that out. Finding a balance point.

I used to feel like I must be pretty "fake" to do this ... I questioned my tendency to adapt to others instead of having what I self-termed a more "concrete" personality. Now I understand this and myself better, so I don't worry about it anymore. I feel like it's pretty cool to be so attuned and flexible. BUT I have to be careful to not sublimate to others to "keep the peace" ... that area can still present a challenge to me.

And as an extra note - I have always admired people who never seem to change, no matter the circumstance ... I feel more like water, taking the shape of the vessel I'm in.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
How come when I take the instinctual variants test by itself I get a strong sp result, but when I take the enneagram test that has instinctual variants, I get Type 5 sx?

It's very hard to separate the 5 enneagram from sp instincts, as they're very closely intertwined. I used to think I was Sp, but when I really thought about it, I discovered it was really just my 5 traits in action. I'm still looking in to how instincts manifest themselves [is it only socially?] but that's what I've discovered.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
It's very hard to separate the 5 enneagram from sp instincts, as they're very closely intertwined. I used to think I was Sp, but when I really thought about it, I discovered it was really just my 5 traits in action. I'm still looking in to how instincts manifest themselves [is it only socially?] but that's what I've discovered.

Interesting . . .
I wonder how well the combination tests separate out the sp from the type 5 traits and if it goes to the other extreme: i.e. attributing a preference to 5 only when it ought to be sp only or sp as well. I answered both tests in similar fashion at the same time, so the disparate "sx first" versus "sx last" stackings screamed "error!" to me.
sx first seems wrong, tho.

I'm curious to see if there are people who get 5 sp in the combo test.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm curious to see if there are people who get 5 sp in the combo test.

I did, on the one at the similar minds site.

edit: if there's a particular combo test you had in mind (to get a more controlled idea of accuracy) I for one would be game.

5: Seem to be almost exclusively introverts, INXX and ISTX, rarely ISFJ. I've never seen an ISFP 5. Also ENTP rarely. Most people who are 5's think that they are INTPs, hell a lot of 5's ARE INTPs. INFP 5's usually think that they are INTP or INTJ. ISTJ 5's may be confused on the S and N dichotomy, or may appear borderline on S/N. ISTPs seem to be 5w6s, hardly ever 5w4. The ISTs are more commonly 5w6, the INs are more commonly 5w4s.

It’s not that I’ve actually wondered if I’m INTP, but I have often felt like some kind of MBTI trannie (INTP stuck in an INFJ psyche). I can usually relate to posts here by INTP women far more often than other INFJ women, and get along better irl with the INTPs I know than the INFJs (so much that it’s even kind of weird sometimes when my words come out sounding all INFJ-y). But yeah, it’s the 5 I’m relating to I think, not the INTP template per se.

Lily flower

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I've noticed a lot of patterns in what types get mistyped, and how some MBTI-enneagram combos can make people get massively mistyped.

2: 2's honestly seem to be universally F types, especially __FJ. Sometimes E_FP, but rarely I_FP. I_FJ 2's can mistake themselves for E_FJs, especially if they aren't a social last. In fact, social last 2's are really really weird to think about, I don't think I've ever seen one or met one... hmm. Should check my enneagram videos. I need to get around to posting that on here.

I have to agree with you on this one. I am an INFJ (Type 2 with balanced wings), introverted but still love people. I identify a lot with ENFJ's, and yet when I compare myself to ENFJ's, I am much less socially savvy.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Great thread BlackCat.

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||| 14%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 46%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||| 14%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||| 34%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||| 58%

I just took this to see what I'd get (this time) and this was my result. Is it possible since 5,7,8 is a triad that this is just a product of being well balanced? Depending on my mood I get each of these. I'm a definite sx/sp/so. I know that for sure.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Great thread BlackCat.

Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||||||| 58%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||| 14%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||||| 46%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||| 14%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||||| 74%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||| 34%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||||||||| 70%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||| 58%

I just took this to see what I'd get (this time) and this was my result. Is it possible since 5,7,8 is a triad that this is just a product of being well balanced? Depending on my mood I get each of these. I'm a definite sx/sp/so. I know that for sure.

What came to mind when I saw your score is:

1) You're actually Type 5, which integrates to 8 when they are healthy and disintegrates to 7 when they are under stress

2) You're a 7w8 who's feeling especially healthy

3) 8w7 under stress

:D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Sorry it took me a while to respond.

First off, could you put a link to this test so that we can take it to verify it's accuracy? I've gotten some really silly enneagram results on tests.

But personally when I take the similarminds tests, I get type 9 sx with the instinct + type test, and with just the instincts I get sx/sp with an almost non existent soc instinct.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
whaat? i just took an instinctual variant test and got sx/sp by a lot...that's not right is it... :/