• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can you have unusual Enneagram/MBTI combinations?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I was thinking that perhaps they measured different things. But what is the difference between cognition and emotions/environment? It does seem like there might be one, but I'm not good at drawing distinctions.
Maybe this statement from Tom Flautt and John Richards will help:
…MBTI appears to be concerned with the conscious, cognitive part of the psyche, while the Enneagram is focused on unconscious, motivating forces in the depths of the psyche, perhaps associated with its archetypal structure. The two systems come at the psyche in two contrasting ways.

The MBTI starts with the assumption that there are four sets of fundamental choices, E/I, S/N, T/F, J/P, each of which are equally good. The description for each of the 16 types is presented in mostly a positive light. There is an emphasis on goodness--different styles and patterns, but the overall focus is on positive attributes. Only after one has learned the basic system, does one's attention go to the negative attributes of a personality, for example, when one is in the grip of the inferior function.

The early teachers of the Enneagram started with a consideration of negative behavior. In fact some related the different styles to the "Seven Deadly Sins" of the Christian tradition plus two additional "Sins" of Deceit and Fear. The learner may be asked to choose what is their chief fault, which lies at the basis of their life script. In Jungian terms, it is as though how we structure our Shadow archetype describes the underlying motives of our life. Enneatype descriptions can range from extremely healthy (noble or altruistic) to extremely unhealthy (psychotic).
And this is from the Enneagram FAQ page:
There is no proven, conclusive, correlation between the nine personality types of the Enneagram and the sixteen personality types of the MBTI. Some comparisons show that certain Enneagram types seem to match certain MBTI types with a higher degree of frequency than other MBTI types. But there is no reliable data to show that such matches are consistent on a large segment of the population.

The Enneagram and the MBTI measure or evaluate different aspects of a person's personality. The Enneagram focuses on an individual's habits of attention and other patterns of thoughts, feelings and emotions. The MBTI looks at what are called mental functions.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why would it be a problem? But do you never feel conflicted between your P tendency to simply adjust to the situation, and your 1 ideals of trying to be perfect or create perfection?

It could be a problem because we all have inner-conflicts. If I can't think of any, that just means I haven't become aware of ones that I have.
I mean, yeah, sometimes I feel that conflict you mentioned, but I wouldn't think of it as being a very significant factor in my life.
Besides, don't we all get that?

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Thank you. That's interesting... now the only question is, what's the most reliable way to find your enneagram or MBTI type? I guess I'll look at some of the other threads on that, now that I have an idea what the systems are supposed to measure.
We are usually subjective when taking test. We have an arduous time determining how we really are, as opposed to what we would like to be. The MBTI is quite simple. Answer questions as to how you are when alone, not at work (since most take on an SJ personna). After years of determining my type, I realized that I had made some errors in taking the Step II that resulted in INTP. The overall theme does not fit me. I found my type by determining my Temperament(s). Most think that we are one temperament, however we are a combination, prefering one, then another in seccession. Mine is Improviser/Theorist, which is why I can relate to the NT type. After choosing my Temperament, I determined how I interact with people by determining my Interaction Style.

If one can determine:
• Communication—Ways We Influence Others (Directing ----- Informing)
All communications that involve getting someone else to do something can be classified along a continuum from very directive to very informing. This dynamic involves the style of the communication as well as the words.

• Roles—Ways to Define Relationships (Initiating ----- Responding)
When we first meet people, we have a choice in setting the pace and tone of the interaction. We can either initiate the interaction or respond with agreement or disagreement to the initiating moves of the other person. This dynamic gives us clues to roles and situations that energize and fatigue us.

• Attention—Focus and Interest (Control ----- Movement)
In any given interaction, we attend to different aspects. Some people are more focused on controlling some aspect of the interaction. Others are more focused on moving things along.
As a Chart the Course type, ISTJs, INTJs, INFJs and ISTPs are focused on movement like Get Things Going types. For that reason, it’s just my opinion but we can appear extraverted. In Charge and Behind the Scenes types like to control their information, which is the reason that ENTJs, ESTJs, ENFJs and ESTPs can sometimes appear introverted with their need to control information. This has worked for me and others that were tired of taking tests. If you can figure out these two things (Temperament and Interaction Style) then you automatically will know your type.