User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Nines and Fives are really different types- you could say they almost opposites in many ways. I tend to think you are a Nine. Here's why:

Many Nines mistaken type themselves as Fives (particularly if they are well-educated and intelligent). Fives rarely think they are Nines though. Nines often have a hard time typing themselves because they see a little of themselves in every type- it's because they are always trying to be recpetive to other people, to the point that they identify more with others than themselves.

Nines are easygoing, patient and accomodating. Fives are strong-minded and highly resistant to the influence of others. Nines like people and are trusting-sometimes too much so. Fives on the other hand, are suspicious of people and cynical.

Nines typically do not concern themselves with details, and they aren't usually good at following up once they have acted. By contrast, Fives are highly focused- love details, losing themselves in research. By contrast, even brilliant Nines tend to have problems concentrating; they also tend to lose interest quickly and to allow their attention to drift off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AllPersonality.com blog
    INFJ 3w4 sp

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rena View Post
    Nines and Fives are really different types- you could say they almost opposites in many ways. I tend to think you are a Nine. Here's why:

Many Nines mistaken type themselves as Fives (particularly if they are well-educated and intelligent). Fives rarely think they are Nines though. Nines often have a hard time typing themselves because they see a little of themselves in every type- it's because they are always trying to be recpetive to other people, to the point that they identify more with others than themselves.

Nines are easygoing, patient and accomodating. Fives are strong-minded and highly resistant to the influence of others. Nines like people and are trusting-sometimes too much so. Fives on the other hand, are suspicious of people and cynical.

Nines typically do not concern themselves with details, and they aren't usually good at following up once they have acted. By contrast, Fives are highly focused- love details, losing themselves in research. By contrast, even brilliant Nines tend to have problems concentrating; they also tend to lose interest quickly and to allow their attention to drift off.
    The bolded is excellent. All in all great stuff. I may have to pick your brain for instinctual variant differences...

MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    6w5

Re: 5vs9
    I had the opposite problem actually. I thought I was a 9 because I am really quite accommodating IRL, but some (knowledgeable) people helped me realize I identify more with the fears, priorities, attitudes etc. of a 5, and the 9ish tendencies are better explained by 'social instincts'.

I don't think it is that uncommon.
    The beauty of a living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but the way those atoms are put together. ~ rCoxI ~ INfj ~ 5w6 so/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    The bolded is excellent. All in all great stuff. I may have to pick your brain for instinctual variant differences...

Quote Originally Posted by Blairvoyant View Post
    Re: 5vs9
    I had the opposite problem actually. I thought I was a 9 because I am really quite accommodating IRL, but some (knowledgeable) people helped me realize I identify more with the fears, priorities, attitudes etc. of a 5, and the 9ish tendencies are better explained by 'social instincts'.

I don't think it is that uncommon.
    There is definitely no hard fast rules for typing- but in general, that is more unusual. Most Fives aren't very accomodating to the point Nines are.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AllPersonality.com blog
    INFJ 3w4 sp

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I read this somewhere when I was trying to decide between a 9 and 5. My issue with this description was that I couldn't see myself in any other type other than 9 and 5. And it was a 60/40 split between 9 and 5. I'm somewhere in between the differences described above. Anyways, I do believe more 9s may think they're 5s than vice versa. What it came down to for me is that I'm more of an easy-going person than strong-minded, etc.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

You're describing Sluggish Cognitive Tempo. In SCT, there are neurological problems causing low energy, particular information processing problems and a tendency towards anxiety, especially social anxiety as a result of not being able to master situations and react to the unpredictable effectively. All of these things make them act a lot like how Nines normally act superficially, but they won't necessarily have the same Basic Fear of a Nine causing that behaviour, and neither will they think like a Nine unless they also happen to be one. In my experience they're actually very often Fives, because being incompetent tends to affect their early lives more than any other of the Fears, so they naturally come to fear that more than anything else and over-compensate in the ways characteristic of the Five, even if some of their behaviours are shared by Nines.

I know a few classic Nines who agree with me that they're Nines, and they don't have low energy levels or significant concentration problems, they're just more laid-back than most because they prioritise keeping everything calm outside and inside themselves. They can develop somewhat low energy when under stress because they then have to devote a lot of mental energy to keeping both the outer and inner world calm, as is explained in the Wisdom of the Enneagram, but even then they're distinguishable from people with SCT.

It's the Basic Fear you need to look at. Your Basic Fear is the one that the rest of your personality and behaviour seems to be arranged around the most even when things are going well for you. If you're being chased by a dog your primary fear and behaviour will be that of a Six, but it doesn't mean you're a Six. Any real problem that's pre-occupying you at the moment isn't representative of your true Basic Fear, even if it's an ongoing one like trying to get by with SCT. It's the underlying fear that influences your behaviour the most whenever you've nothing serious and pressing to worry about.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I used to think I was a 5, but I realized the core of what makes a 9 tick (keeping the peace) is what really drives me.