• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do the wings have to be next to the type?

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I mean sure, you can type yourself from Type 1 to 9, but the WINGS seem like a different story.

Aren't wings supposed to provide variety to the type you are? So why are the wings defined so that it can only be next to the types?

For example, you can be a Type 1 with 2 Wing, but not Type 1 with 6?

Why? :shock:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because there's not any peoples on heart who are 1w6, they just don't exist.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Because then they would have to come up with 3.5x the material.

And I do mean "come up with".

Rena

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I mean sure, you can type yourself from Type 1 to 9, but the WINGS seem like a different story.

Aren't wings supposed to provide variety to the type you are? So why are the wings defined so that it can only be next to the types?

For example, you can be a Type 1 with 2 Wing, but not Type 1 with 6?

Why? :shock:

The Enneagram is different from the MBTI in that it's based on the drawing (or 'gram' which is greek) of the circle with the nine points... each of the types are connected by those lines that make the star-ish shape. It's not random- there's reasons behind all of it. :)

Wings have to do with where your type falls on the circle- here's an animated picture to help you visualize it:

enneagram-wings.gif

Does that make sense?

Sunny Ghost

The Enneagram is different from the MBTI in that it's based on the drawing (or 'gram' which is greek) of the circle with the nine points... each of the types are connected by those lines that make the star-ish shape. It's not random- there's reasons behind all of it. :)

Wings have to do with where your type falls on the circle- here's an animated picture to help you visualize it:

enneagram-wings.gif

Does that make sense?

and what are the lines connecting them noting? :huh:

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Does one have to have a wing or can you just be straight up type 1 or whatever?

I don't remember right now where I took the enneagram test, but I know it typed me as a 5, no wings or anything. Or should I just type myself? (In which case, I'm still a 5.)

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Does one have to have a wing or can you just be straight up type 1 or whatever?

I don't remember right now where I took the enneagram test, but I know it typed me as a 5, no wings or anything. Or should I just type myself? (In which case, I'm still a 5.)

To be honest I think the simple numbers work better than the wings, which I'm rather suspicous may be dictated by geometric more than psychological considerations. The instinctual variants look more promising though: I'm pretty sure they have more stable validity than the wings.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
and what are the lines connecting them noting? :huh:

They're the directions of integration (healthy behavior) and disintegration (stress point). For example, as type Fours exhibit more healthy behaviors associated with that style (compassion, spontaneous creativity), they also become more self-disciplined and practical like type Ones. When type Fours fall into lower stages of development, they may become manipulative and needy like an unhealthy Two. How the Enneagram Personality System Works can provide more accurate info, however.

P.S.
Welcome. Although you joined last month, I've never seen you around : )

Sunny Ghost

They're the directions of integration (healthy behavior) and disintegration (stress point). For example, as type Fours exhibit more healthy behaviors associated with that style (compassion, spontaneous creativity), they also become more self-disciplined and practical like type Ones. When type Fours fall into lower stages of development, they may become manipulative and needy like an unhealthy Two. How the Enneagram Personality System Works can provide more accurate info, however.

P.S.
Welcome. Although you joined last month, I've never seen you around : )
Thank you & thank you. :)

G

garbage

Bird theory. Birds' wings are next to the main subject (the body) as well.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's arbitrary. Hence why there are a good dozen explanations for it floating around.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, you don't want wings to be separated from the core. Think about it. When you fly, wings need to be attached to what generates the work needed for flying, otherwise they're just pieces of meat without a purpose.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well Ming, the steadfast followers of the original Enneagram can provide you a lot of reasons. I personally don't think any of them make sense.

It seems to me that the wing system in the Enneagram is superficial symbolism. It is a situation where the symbol dictates the logic more than the logic dictates the symbol. It doesn't really makes sense because there's really no consistency in the sequence of the types what-so-ever.

It's arbitrary. Hence why there are a good dozen explanations for it floating around.

Good point. It's like when people explain the reason for biblical traditions.

Anyhow, it is a bad sign. Being that a personality type system is entirely devised by people, and should basically be a system of deductive logic, there is no reason that there should be more than one explanation for something if that thing actually has a rational reason for existing at all. There should be no uncertainty.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well Ming, the steadfast followers of the original Enneagram can provide you a lot of reasons. I personally don't think any of them make sense.

It seems to me that the wing system in the Enneagram is superficial symbolism. It is a situation where the symbol dictates the logic more than the logic dictates the symbol. It doesn't really makes sense because there's really no consistency in the sequence of the types what-so-ever.

You're right and that makes sense. But if a 6w7 can't really exist, a 1w6 can't exist anymore.

Rena

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Anyhow, it is a bad sign. Being that a personality type system is entirely devised by people, and should basically be a system of deductive logic, there is no reason that there should be more than one explanation for something if that thing actually has a rational reason for existing at all. There should be no uncertainty.

That is a very interesting quote- from someone who's posted thousands of times talking about "people devised personality systems". :rolli: I'm just sayin'....

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're right and that makes sense. But if a 6w7 can't really exist, a 1w6 can't exist anymore.

Care to elaborate the workings of this proposition?

That is a very interesting quote- from someone who's posted thousands of times talking about "people devised personality systems". :rolli: I'm just sayin'....

Frankly, I don't see how.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Care to elaborate the workings of this proposition?

Assuming that I have understand your post, wings don't really exist but are just symbolic and spiritual representation based on anything but he structure of the enneagram figure itself. So, if wings are just an enneagram invention, and that 5w6, 7w8, 8w9 or 1w9 for example are just invention, 3w9, 1w6 or 7w2 are inventions too based on anything but the subjective representations of the inventor who think that 1 and 6 look alike for example.