• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram 5 vs Enneagram 8

Schizm

MBTI Type
INTP
In what ways do the 5's and 8's differ?

I have found that my ENTP Enneagram 8 friend disagrees with the at times eccentric nature of the 5. Or better put, how the 5 can sometimes come off overly unique, much like the 4. He has a need for social etiquette. Something, I at first rejected but am trying to better adapt to. He sees opportunity in all social engagement and find that a lack of following the etiquette of certain social roles lacks grace. This is something that I have been churning around and come to agree with. Is this a trait true of all Enneagram 8's?

I think I have a keen sense of people's weaknesses whether or not I wish to. At times, I have to watch to make sure that my Ne is not just giving me a paranoid read on something. Does the 8 immediately see weaknesses in other people? 8's much like 5's can be a few clicks ahead of people. Do 8's test people? I have noticed that I at times can test people to gauge reaction's. I know a 5w6 who does this quite often. It isn't something that I as a 5w4 tend to engage as much but do at time's. Most of the time though, what people say is filtered through my analysis of them and I can see connections or areas where they are contradictory. This is of course human nature and I make it a point to be aware of my own contradictory roles.

What are the main differences between Enneagram 5 and Enneagram 8? I know each of us becomes the other when we are moving towards growth and thought this could be a useful thread.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have found that my ENTP Enneagram 8 friend disagrees with the at times eccentric nature of the 5. Or better put, how the 5 can sometimes come off overly unique, much like the 4. He has a need for social etiquette. Something, I at first rejected but am trying to better adapt to. He sees opportunity in all social engagement and find that a lack of following the etiquette of certain social roles lacks grace. This is something that I have been churning around and come to agree with. Is this a trait true of all Enneagram 8's?

No, more like 3's. 8's usually reject social etiquette, social norms and social rituals. There might be an exception for social 8's but still... relatively unlikely. 8's are by definition "moving against" rather than adapting.

I think I have a keen sense of people's weaknesses whether or not I wish to. At times, I have to watch to make sure that my Ne is not just giving me a paranoid read on something. Does the 8 immediately see weaknesses in other people? 8's much like 5's can be a few clicks ahead of people. Do 8's test people? I have noticed that I at times can test people to gauge reaction's. I know a 5w6 who does this quite often. It isn't something that I as a 5w4 tend to engage as much but do at time's. Most of the time though, what people say is filtered through my analysis of them and I can see connections or areas where they are contradictory. This is of course human nature and I make it a point to be aware of my own contradictory roles.

Yes, 8's see weakness in people quickly (their base motivation drives them to pay attention to it). 8's may test people sometimes, although I would guess it would be more of the kind "wait and see the reaction" rather than purposely constructing a testing situation. The latter is probably more true of type 6 and its motivations (finding secure allies, alleviating fears about others, etc.).

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some have said that Fives and Eight are introverted and extraverted versions of the same thing.

Both are pragmatic, and personally harsh.

Fives withdraw from problems whereas Eights charge against them.
Fives are not usually capable of figuring people out like Eights can, but Fives are usually much better at reflecting on a situation than Eights are.
Fives are predominately possessed by a need to understand, while Eights are compelled by a need to control.

Both want to stand for themselves, but they have very different approaches.
The stereo-type is often that the Five is the cold, freelance scientist and the Eight is some hard edged, rebel leader.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you have it spot on, Magic Poriferan.

I'd say I was a 5w6, was it not for the fact that I am perfectly comfortable with issuing commands and expressing my anger directly and effectively. It is a release for me, and I almost enjoy it.