• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Determining someone's enneagram

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know if there's a thread on this already, so if there is, feel free to just link me to it or something...

Is there any easy way (outside of referencing some memorized information) to determine someone's enneagram type? I've kind of developed my own personal algorithm for determining MBTI labels, as I can break MBTI types down into the Jungian functions (jungtions, tehe), so I don't have to rely on memorizing how each type is categorized on a behavioral/mental level. I just know what the functions are (they're easy to remember, as the name of the function clearly matches up with its definition), how the letters in the MBTI labels correlate to the functions, and blam.

I've seen no way to do this with enneagram really (though I've not studied the subject too much; chalk it up to my inability to quickly form an Ne/Ti pattern there). That being said, can anyone offer a simple way to figure out a person's enneagram? Or do I just need to understand the numbers inside and out in order to figure out the etype and the wings...

I'm starting to see the value in enneagram and how when used in conjunction with MBTI labels, it can really narrow in on categorizing a person's psyche (BC has convinced me :)), but I'm hesitant to really get into it because the labeling system seems so nonsensical and disorganized, especially when compared to the MBTI labels.

So, how can I make sense of enneagram in a way that appeals to my Ne/Ti? Mnemonic devices, logical systematization, succinct descriptions, anything would be appreciated!

Ambrosia

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't really understand the enneagram fully myself, but... In a way, the triads kinda present a pattern in each of the enneatypes, by that I mean Instinctual (8,9,1) Feeling (2,3,4) and Thinking (5,6,7). Each type is affected by the other triads, the intensity of which depends on where they fall... For instance, 4 is an emotional type that is closest to the Thinking triad, which means they prefer feeling>thinking>instinctual. If they fall in the middle (3,6,9) you could probably think of them being the most "pure" of their respective triad... It's not much but it helps me get a "flavor" for each of them without actually looking/memorizing the descriptions.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
All you need to memorize is the main motivations. Most of the traits make a lot more sense when you know that. Oh, and combine that with the main traits of the triads, thinking center deals with anxiety, feeling center deals with shame, instinctual center deals with anger. The more you split the enneagram up, the easier it is to type people with.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Enneagram is not about motivation.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Right you are, it's about fear, and fear can be very motivating, you know... :violin:

Amazing how people try to split atoms with criticality aimed at 2.4 year old posts made in jest.
Bored anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller? :dry:

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right you are, it's about fear, and fear can be very motivating, you know... :violin:
Amazing how people try to split atoms with criticality aimed at 2.4 year old posts made in jest.
Bored anyone?
Bueller?
Bueller? :dry:

on an even deeper level than that, those fears are caused by a faulty perspective of reality that clouds one's view of reality.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1/anger, 2/pride, 3/deceit, 4/envy, 5/avarice, 6/fear, 7/gluttony, 8/lust, 9/sloth

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
on an even deeper level than that, those fears are caused by a faulty perspective of reality that clouds one's view of reality.

I know.

So here's the part I'm wondering if you've been pondering on.

Whose perspective of reality is the "gold standard" of "reality" in order to be considered correct and qualified enough to judge others' perspectives of reality as FAULTY? :thinking:

Is the "Enneagram Institute" the definitive authority on what "reality" is supposed to be for all people? :shock:

This is the part where I get suspicious of theories and happily embrace my own thoughts and ways and rock the fuck on forward. :rock:

:solidarity:

-Alex

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know.
So here's the part I'm wondering if you've been pondering on.
Whose perspective of reality is the "gold standard" of "reality" in order to be considered correct and qualified enough to judge others' perspectives of reality as FAULTY? :thinking:
Is the "Enneagram Institute" the definitive authority on what "reality" is supposed to be for all people? :shock:
This is the part where I get suspicious of theories and happily embrace my own thoughts and ways and rock the fuck on forward. :rock:
:solidarity:
-Alex

- you make a very good point
- actually, I'm not a huge fan of enneagram institute myself

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1/anger, 2/pride, 3/deceit, 4/envy, 5/avarice, 6/fear, 7/gluttony, 8/lust, 9 /sloth[/B]

I struggle with all of these except deceit and envy (damn, no wonder I'm so messed up lol)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I struggle with all of these except deceit and envy (damn, no wonder I'm so messed up lol)

:laugh:

that's why they're called deadly sins. we all struggle with them, and they mess all of us up.

hey, aren't those e3 & e4's sins? haven't i said before i think you're 4/3 or 3/4? ;)

personally i struggle most with fear, gluttony, and deceit:
my enneatype, wing, and disintegration point. go figure.

Silveresque

I ran into an interesting thread the other day on Personality Cafe. Seems pretty accurate to me based on people I know.

One way to type those around you is to examine their Enneagram talk style. Each type has a unique approach to speaking and writing, which can be picked up on in a matter of minutes. The following is a list of each type and their general mode of communication:

TYPE 1: SERMONS/PREACH & TEACH
Teaching, preaching, finding fault, admonishing, correcting, reminding of obligations
Self-talk: ‘That’s not right’

TYPE 2: SYMPATHIES/HELP & ADVICE/PRAISE & COMPLIMENTS
Befriending, supporting, comforting, offering friendly advice, pitching in, meeting needs, getting personal
Self-talk: ‘You need me’

TYPE 3: SALES PITCHES/PROPAGANDA/SELF-PROMOTION
Promoting, advertising, performing, exclaiming, motivational speeches, success stories
Self-talk: ‘Watch me shine’

TYPE 4: LAMENTS/SAD STORIES
Longing, lamenting, extolling, yearning, regretful sighs, poetic turns of phrase, self-expression
Self-talk: ‘I’m feeling …’

TYPE 5: LECTURES/THESES/TREATISES
Detailed explanations, informative displays of knowledge, definitions, facts, precise instructions, logical, rational arguments
Self-talk: ‘I’m thinking …’

TYPE 6: CAUTIONS/CAVEATS/SETTING LIMITS
Questions, warnings, second-guessing, trouble-shooting, worst-case scenarios, defending / testing
Self-talk: ‘But what if …’

TYPE 7: ANECDOTES/BRAINSTORMING/STORYTELLING
Joking, laughing, story-telling, entertaining, shifting gears, changing venues, sampling, imagining, checking out, moving on
Self-talk: ‘On a lighter note’

TYPE 8: COMMANDS/DIATRIBES/LAYING TRIPS
Arguing, debating, opposing, taking aim, scoring points, parting shots, military metaphors
Self-talk: ‘Do this my way’

TYPE 9: CHRONICLES/SAGAS/EPICS
Recounting sagas, epics, generalizing, day-dreaming aloud, voicing vague notions, wondering, meandering
Self-talk: ‘Nice ’n easy’