• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram - MBTI correlation

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
If someone could prove me wrong, that would be great...

...but it seems to me so far that enneagram is basically a flimsy approximation of the cognitive functions, having all kinds of additional flourishes to give the types more colour, but with their essence being very similar to the Jungian functions, so that I have a hard time imagining how it could have a separate existence of its own.

On the other hand, the typology system that I discovered with 12 types also has correlations with cognitive functions in terms of its concepts, but is very much a distinct system. So I can see how overlapping systems can maintain independent existence from each other.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Self-typing isn't useful because most women like to see themselves as 2s and most men like to see themselves as 8s or 3w4s. If this poll was honest then most would be scoring 6 and 9w1.

I pulled from 25,000 members on typology forums using the type information published on their profile - so it's not a poll. I do think 6s are underestimated. So you don't think people who are members of typology forums would have a decent idea of their type? I think it is probably a reasonable approximation. Outside of checking with a professional organization that validates type through interviews for both systems, I don't know how to get better statistics.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I pulled from 25,000 members on typology forums using the type information published on their profile - so it's not a poll.
It doesn't matter since 6 and 9w1 should be winning regardless.

I do think 6s are underestimated.

Yes, 6s are underestimated by most of the authors and the enneagram community which is what is causing them to avoid identifying as the 'normie' core type.

So you don't think people who are members of typology forums would have a decent idea of their type?
Well, i'd rather not think that but people keep proving time and time again that they don't understand the basic concept of enneagram. It is based on the motives and fears not the tests, descriptions or traits. I will believe these statistics when people type themselves based on the motives and fears and they haven't read any of the descriptions or taken any of the tests.

I don't know how to get better statistics.
Yes, it is quite the popular dilemma. The sad fact is a lot of the attachment types (3,6,9) tend to cherry pick what types that they want to be and anything else tends to seem like a consolation prize.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If someone could prove me wrong, that would be great... ...but it seems to me so far that enneagram is basically a flimsy approximation of the cognitive functions, having all kinds of additional flourishes to give the types more colour, but with their essence being very similar to the Jungian functions, so that I have a hard time imagining how it could have a separate existence of its own. On the other hand, the typology system that I discovered with 12 types also has correlations with cognitive functions in terms of its concepts, but is very much a distinct system. So I can see how overlapping systems can maintain independent existence from each other.
I think enneagram is quite different. Jungian functions characterize habitual ways of perceiving and judging. Enneagran characterizes core fears and motivations. Those are very different things

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It doesn't matter since 6 and 9w1 should be winning regardless. Yes, 6s are underestimated by most of the authors and the enneagram community which is what is causing them to avoid identifying as the 'normie' core type. Well, i'd rather not think that but people keep proving time and time again that they don't understand the basic concept of enneagram. It is based on the motives and fears not the tests, descriptions or traits. I will believe these statistics when people type themselves based on the motives and fears and they haven't read any of the descriptions or taken any of the tests. Yes, it is quite the popular dilemma. The sad fact is a lot of the attachment types (3,6,9) tend to cherry pick what types that they want to be and anything else tends to seem like a consolation prize.
I agree the tests are bad. There is one sitting in my inbox from an organization that says they have the best test around. Will have to check it out

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I think enneagram is quite different. Jungian functions characterize habitual ways of perceiving and judging. Enneagran characterizes core fears and motivations. Those are very different things

But couldn't they be the core fears and motivations that result when one perceives and/or judges the world in a particular way?

ducks

Permabanned
^ It does seem that certain combinations make very little sense, as if implying exactly that.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But couldn't they be the core fears and motivations that result when one perceives and/or judges the world in a particular way?

Exactly hence why I made this list of plausible typings for the types. I kept re-edited it because I kept believing people with bizarre mbti+enneagram combos. The aggressive types are only extroverts while the withdrawn types are only introverts except for 9w8 and 4w3. fixed and post.jpg

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think there is a correlation yes. That's why statistically some enneagram types are connected to some MBTI types more frequently. Still they are measuring different things. It's the combination of the two that's most powerful. If I were to compare an INTJ 5, 6, 1, and 8 - they would all be quite different in predictable ways.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I were to compare an INTJ 5, 6, 1, and 8 - they would all be quite different in predictable ways.

No such thing as enneagram 8 INTJ, they are either ENTJ 8w9s in denial or integrated 5w4 INTJs. Take this from someone who is advanced in all of Enneagram and MBTI.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No such thing as enneagram 8 INTJ, they are either ENTJ 8w9s in denial or integrated 5w4 INTJs. Take this from someone who is advanced in all of Enneagram and MBTI.

That's not what my research led me to conclude.

INTJ Personality Enneagram Type - 51% - 62% of INTJs are Enneagram 5s so when we are thinking of the common analytical INTJ stereotype, it is likely the INTJ Enneagram 5 which comes to mind. 1s are also fairly common, representing 10% - 14% of the INTJs. There was a notable difference in the percentage of INTJ Enneagram 6s on Typology Central (5%) vs. Personality Cafe (20%) which is unusual given the large numbers of them present on both sites. Enneagram 3, 4 and 8 occur somewhat frequently between 3% and 8% of the time.

In the study that I did, 6% of the 575 INTJs on Typology Central were Enneagram 8s. I believe [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] might be. I believe a guy at work that I have known and worked closely with over the last six years also to be that combination.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The statistics don't help because most ENTJs don't seem to understand the cognitive functions since they tend to be 3s. The type 3 doesn't tend to go in depth with MBTI or Enneagram because they have too much to do and they don't even disintegrate to a head type.

I believe [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] might be. .

She has always seemed like an ENTJ to me.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The statistics don't help because most ENTJs don't seem to understand the cognitive functions since they tend to be 3s. The type 3 doesn't tend to go in depth with MBTI or Enneagram because they have too much to do and they don't even disintegrate to a head type.

Again, the research told me something different. Out of 132 ENTJS
46% are 8s
19% are 3s
11% are 1s
6% are 9s
5% are 5, 6, and 7 (5% each)

8 is by far the most common Enneagram for ESTJs and ENTJs. It makes sense to me and I see the behavior in that I work with a lot of both types.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, the research told me something different. Out of 132 ENTJS
46% are 8s
19% are 3s
11% are 1s
6% are 9s
5% are 5, 6, and 7 (5% each)
Research doesn't matter cause most seem to be not be honest with themselves. I don't get your point of repeating the same stuff over and over again.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Research doesn't matter cause most seem to be not be honest with themselves. I don't get your point of repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Helping you to understand ....

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

Questionable, since that highly depends on the culture. Not everyone is scatter brained and workaholic as USA.

Here I have to agree, So last ENTJ sounds more like her than INTJ.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
8 strikes me as a common type for ENTJs and ESTJs. Does that mean it's correlated with Te? I'm not sure.

I've also seen 4 correlated with Fi, and having a close friend who I belief is an INFP 4, I see how these correspond really well.

I would say 7 is connected to strong extroverted perceiving functions in and of themselves rather than just Se or just Ne.

6 is also often correlated to Si in general. I can definitely see a connection.

These are of course tendencies and not rules. There are plenty of people who defy these associations.

Finite Fusion

These are not carved in stone, but still worth looking at.

myers_briggs_enneagram.jpg

ESTP 9 is ridiculous but the rest all are plausible.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
8 strikes me as a common type for ENTJs and ESTJs. Does that mean it's correlated with Te? I'm not sure.

I've also seen 4 correlated with Fi, and having a close friend who I belief is an INFP 4, I see how these correspond really well.

I would say 7 is connected to strong extroverted perceiving functions in and of themselves rather than just Se or just Ne.

6 is also often correlated to Si in general. I can definitely see a connection.

These are of course tendencies and not rules. There are plenty of people who defy these associations.

These observations are exactly correct - or what my analysis showed anyway. The one exception I'd say is 8 seems to correspond with dominant Te vs aux.