• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram and Science

norick

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So I'm a lurker finally posting something. :hi:

Upon being introduced to the Enneagram I was initially skeptical. MBTI seems a lot like astrology* to me sometimes, and I was worried this system might be sadly lacking in the empirical evidence department as well. But Enneagram makes a lot of sense and seems to lack the vagueness of astrology and MBTI**. It also has a sort of simple elegance to it that leads me to prefer it over socionics, which I don't fully understand yet.

What I want in this thread is your take on this:

Do you think the Enneagram system is scientific? Is it important for Enneagram to be scientific?

(I'm not making a poll because I want to know why.)

*ie bullshit
**that I've seen. It's possible I've managed to only find bad descriptions.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Do you think the Enneagram system is scientific? Is it important for Enneagram to be scientific?
Define "scientific." You mean biologically inherent, proven by scientific data, or what?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

It's not really (typology in general, and psychology as a whole struggles with this). It'd be rather difficult to come up with a formal experiment for this kind of thing (since it's about internal things and motivations, plus the wide variety of types and subtypes and health levels). The only thing that would qualify it as Scientific™is if someone could give a survey/test that would give consistent results. Such a survey/test doesn't exist, though.

However, I don't think it's important that it's not Scientific™. Based on personal observation of others and myself, it seems true enough (while not a perfect system of course). Ultimately it's more of a tool than a description of natural phenomena.

**that I've seen. It's possible I've managed to only find bad descriptions.

Yeah there's a lot of bad descriptions out there. MBTI is good enough for it's purposes, but it doesn't hold up as well under close scrutiny as socionics/enneagram imo. Plus, it's a gateway drug for typology.

Also, welcome to the forum!