• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

inwards vs outwards enneagram type?

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Quote below is a post I made on a different forum.

So I was talking to someone from PC about enneagram on ventrilo last night and I had some thoughts on it. This idea has some lacking thoughts so Im not saying it is perfect.

I have a basic problem with the test. Its not just this test but basically a lot other tests. That there seems to be an inwards behavior and an outwards behavior. My thoughts are basically in correlation with The Johari Window where you have a known self but not known to others (here inwards self) and a known self that is also known to others (the outwards self). Basically if I use myself as an example I have an outwards apperance of 9w8 and an inwards self of 5w6. This problem seems to be something that I have seen in many that have a hard time figuring out their motive for as an example why and how they do things. That these processes hinders them coming to a certain conclusion of what personality they are. Even for myself. And that seems to be a basic problem that I have not with my knowledge of enneagram - which might not be much - have seen adressed.

So I have in the meanwhile been reading up on enneagram and specifically read the descriptions of type 5 and type 9 from the revised version of "Personality Types" by Don Riso and Russ Hudson.

I understand that most of what I say here has been adressed in that book and that it describes both an inwards and outwards approach. But I have difficulty to still figuring out which type I am, basically when I adress this problem. I can see alot of 9 behavior in my outwards face to the world and how I want to treat people especially on level 3, 4 and 5 but dont see alot of the inwards behavior in me that the type 9 experience. While I see a lot of myself in the inwards of the type 5 but not much in the outwards approach.

It might just be me but this complex might be explained better with sp/so/sx than what my understanding of the enneagram is. I just seem to have a hard time indentifying my type. I have the placid feelings of a 9 inwards but I tend to flow from different states all the time, but consciously try to control myself to the placid state of mine. But I also search myself and criticize myself and my feelings and try consciously to improve myself. Which might be a healthy 9 approach as much as an average 5. :cry: