• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

...Enneagram Corner

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well then. Got to 30 seconds in and closed it.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anything disturbing regarding cats is a no go for me. That started to sound awful. :(

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Meeeow!

Who am I?

*edit*

MTBI I would guess I'm some formulation of eNtp. My Dad is something like EnTj, Mom is XNFJ so 2w3, younger bro is Entj. My mom would describe my defining trait as a young child as insatiable curiosity.

Only a few posts on here so far, so not much to work with ... happy to provide the info you need though

Welcome to my domain my bipedalled friend...

A family with four intuitives eh...lucky you.

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Hey MellowMarcello. Want to take a stab at picking my enneagram also? I don't know much about it. :p

Hello my friend...you are almost as georgeous as me!

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Hello my bipedalled friends...I have a dilemna.

I am very beautiful...there is no doubt about that. But...I also wise beyond my years between my ears...HAR HAR.

Happiness is in the journey not the destination...so I need to become progressively more georgeous to continue to feel good about myself. But my georgeousity has plateaued. I am considering becoming slightly less georgeous so I have room to increase my beauty again.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
I suppose people can have more than one fear. I doubt if any normal person would like to be unwanted, worthless, no personal significance, incapable, without support, being harmed, in pain, etc. It is just to what extent they fear of such thing, and how motivated they are to avoid their fear.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear that I`m talking about enneagram terms. Surely, most people know how it feels to be unwanted, worthless and so on, but there`s one fear which sits at the very heart of your inner self and one motivation which drives your life.

Personality is like fingerprints, no two people are the same. It is very difficult to find another person that has the exact same character as you.

Why would you want to find a person with the exact same character as yourself? :huh:

If MBTI types can represent a spectrum of different characteristics depending on the order of functions (8! = 40,320 different combinations of orders, not taking into account of different percentages), why can't Enneagram use something similar?

Why should it? What`s the worth of having to similar systems rather than two different ones which look at personality from two different angles?
Btw the MBTI is about different preferences.

If Enneagram is about motivations, why can't motivations change? Say if someone who used to be very worried about not being stupid and one day he has learnt to accept his limitations and be relaxed, not so care about not knowing or being incapable, this fear may no longer control him. He may be able to move on to something else that has become more important to him in that stage of life.

The enneagram motivations act at a deeper level than that. You can`t overcome them that easily.

Only rectangular shapes can fit perfectly into rectangular boxes. However, there are other shapes like heart, star, circle, triangle, which may not be appropriate to be forced into one of the boxes if they do not really fit.

You are not the first do come up with such an argument. I could point to Riso`s answer that the enneagram is not about putting people into boxes but rather about seeing into which box you have put yourself, but it`s no use if there`s too much fear that your self-image could change. The enneagram can show you deep resistances and if you`re afraid to meet them, the enneagram may not be for you.

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Good afternoon my bipedalled friends. Marcello was out on the grassy knoll this morning...meditating on both the deeper and shallower aspects of life. Sometimes what is deep is shallow and other times what is shallow is deep.

Marcello saw a burning bush in the distance...and trudged towards that strange phenomenon. A voice emerged from the bush that sounded much like his own. The similarities between him and this voice initially surprised him...until he realized god had a similar level of gravitas.

In a flash it occurred to Marcello that the commoners were going about the enneagram all wrong. The enneagram was not about fear or motivation. Those were merely rocket boosters needed to propel one's understanding of the types into orbit to escape the gravitational force called language. All along the types were meant to be described by words...not defined by words.

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
LL:

There can be only one Marcello. Others can try but cannot dupicate his gravitas. Marcello knows all and knew you'd come to his home here. Marcello also knows you do not see what he sees...then or now. That is not a putdown...most people even with their little PM/email networks do not notice up close what the great Marcello sees from a distance. Marcello plays a lone hand because he does not believe in anyone but himself.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Marcello .. Why do you always talk in the third person?

P.S .. Love kitty cats ;)

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would check whether they are alright first, but is that enough to say I am on the F side? For most other things, a lot of the time it would depend on what mood I am in.
The second sentence you made backs up the claim. I think generally being in tune with your mood and focusing your mind on this is a definite sign of F (well, introverted feeling to be exact). You also appear to be very much like what you'd expect an INFP to be like, I really doubt an INTP would even slightly come across the way that you do.

I have been introspecting myself most of my life, I still have difficulty understanding myself. But I find that the longer I spend introspecting myself, the more depressing I would become...and the harder for me to get out...

That's interesting, I always wondered if people actually introspect without really pushing themselves into it. I'm not exactly 100% sure, but it's usually INFPs who get lost in their emotions (especially dark ones).

The only other possibility would be INFJ, I can't say that you're definitely not an INFJ, but you should probably go with INFP :yes:

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Marcello .. Why do you always talk in the third person?

P.S .. Love kitty cats ;)

Hello my bipedalled friend...welcome to my domain. Dunno...sometimes I talk in third person...other times I talk in first person...there's no rhyme or reason. All I know is I can't help but end up with even more gravitas whatever I do.

would love to drive your truck btw...HAR HAR...

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
I tend to make quick value judgements. For non-value related decisions, most of the time I just kind of explore the possibilities and take a long time before making any decision. Sometimes I even leave them open if I am not fully convinced by any of them.

I don`t know if it`s a good way to distinguish between IJ and IP, it wasn`t meant that way. Maybe I should expand a little bit more. With IPs the information they get through their perceiving function is drawn to the judgment center where it will be classified. Now there`s a certain tendency to arrange all incoming perceiving data as to back up the already made judgment instead of being open to the possibility of the still unknown. IPs make their judgments while they take in information but sometimes these are prematurely and hard to let go. EPs can jump from one quick decision to the next, but if their judgment function doesn`t ground them, they won`t stick long with anything.

With IJs I got the impression they want to be sure their judgment is “right”. Whereas I see P judgments as some kind of process where you change your judgments as you go along (though IPs have a certain tendency to hold on too much and EPs too change too quickly), J judgments seem to be some kind of end to a journey.

I probably phrased it very poorly. What I meant was you will not find two people with the exact same character.

Maybe in a parallel universe. ;)

What I was trying to explain using the "box" theory was to illustrate that there may be some people who meet the exact requirements for a particular type - these are the rectangular shapes. There are others who do not seem to fit into any of the types as they are kind of atypical - these are the non-rectangular shapes. We still can put them into the box if it is smaller, but there will still be spaces left and it will not be a perfect fit. What about if we create some non-rectangular boxes that can perfectly fit them rather than forcing them into the rectangular boxes?
You remind me a bit more of my INFJ friend. It`s just a thing he would come up with and something which is clearly not my way of thinking. I don`t see that there are exact requirements for a particular type. Also I stumble a bit over the word requirement, it`s not a word I would have used. My point of view is just the other way round, you don`t put people into boxes, but look how the system is able to describe what`s there.

One of the best helpful hints concerning the difference between Ne and Ni I read about is that Ni is „about the box“ and Ne „outside the box“. You seem to be all about the box.

Just out of curiosity, what is your self-typing?
4w5

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hello my bipedalled friend...welcome to my domain. Dunno...sometimes I talk in third person...other times I talk in first person...there's no rhyme or reason. All I know is I can't help but end up with even more gravitas whatever I do.

would love to drive your truck btw...HAR HAR...

Well that's OK then. Thanks for clearing that up.

You can be in the passenger seat whilst i drive the truck, no probs. :)
Give me a few years until i own one, then i'll pick you up sometime.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Type 1 Perfectionism |||||||||| 37%
Type 2 Helpfulness |||||| 24%
Type 3 Image Focus |||||||||| 40%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity |||||| 27%
Type 5 Detachment |||||||||||||||||| 80%
Type 6 Anxiety |||||||||||||| 54%
Type 7 Adventurousness |||||||||||| 48%
Type 8 Aggressiveness |||||||||| 35%
Type 9 Calmness |||||||||||||||||| 71%

Main type is 5, variant is self pres sp/sx/so

I was under the impression wings had to be adjacent, but this test says otherwise. However the 4 questions [I assume they were 4 questions] were so emo I really didn't identify, I had previously thought I was a 5w4. So would this suggest 5w6 or 5w9, if there is such a thing?

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Well that's OK then. Thanks for clearing that up.

You can be in the passenger seat whilst i drive the truck, no probs. :)
Give me a few years until i own one, then i'll pick you up sometime.

INDEED!...

What enneagram type are you my bipedalled friend?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
INDEED!...

What enneagram type are you my bipedalled friend?

Lol. You tell me. When i first joined this site and took the test i came up as a 4 (i was in a bad head space). I took it again and came up as a 2w1 (which sounded about right at the time). i took it again just recently and came up as a 7 (which again, sounded about right).
Someone told me on here that although my moods can change (been doing some soul searching lately) my enneagram doesn't, yet it has.

What is your opinion on this?
Apologies for any confusion.