• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Enneagram stacking effects MBTI type or vice versa

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm interested in how these two aspects of personality affect one another.

Anyone up to the challenge?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm interested too. what exactly are you looking for?

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you mean one's core Enneagram Type, or other factors such as Wings and Instinctual Sub-types?

wolfy

awsm
I'm interested too. I'm a sexual (habba habba) 9w8 ISFP. I think...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shouldn't be too hard to imagine what the effects would be. The MBTI refers to the cognitive processes, which are basically the mechanics of your mind. The tools your rely on and the way they are callobrated. On the other hand, the instinctual stackings of the Enneagram refer to your concerns, pre-occupations, motives, etc. So the two mix easily. Just imagine someone takling the approach typical of their MB in efforts to work-out what they are concerned with according to the stacking. No aspects of the two has any conflicting overlap, so I don't know how to described it further without just sounding really obvious and redundant.

In case you're wondering, I've looked into this (even with a thread I made), and I've found no meaningful correlation between MB type and instinctual stacking. But, since I pointed out that the subject of the two systems have virtually no overlap, it's not surpising that there isn't a correlation.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i can give you data too i guess.
i'm a 7w8 sx/so ENFP

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like Evan, I am also an INFJ sx/sp. Also I'm 9w1.

It's a tall order to describe how the two system affect each other, but I believe that they do strongly influence how each type is expressed in both systems. I'll give it some thought and get back to you if I have any insights that can be easily expressed here.

wolfy

awsm
I was thinking maybe if enneagram has more to do with motivations and such then your MBTI type evolves as a coping mechanism. A way of getting what you want.

It's just an idea.

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In simple terms, the MBTI shows how we habitually orient to inner and outer reality; whilst the Enneagram shines a light on our habitual behaviours and the reasons behind them.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would think a likely parallel would be made of the Keirseyan temperaments to Self-Preservation, and Interaction Styles (E/I + S + T/F; E/I + N + J/P) to Social. (And maybe Sexual as well).
Problem is, it seems none of the Enneagram theories allow for stacking of different types according to variant. If they did, then maybe it would help those who seem to be moore than one type, and suggest non-consecutive wings.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What seems to happen when you draw Enneagrams across different types is that the characteristics stay the same, but the nuances in how they express themselves and underlying mental processes differ. It's fascinating to me.

Example: E9s can lose their personal identity to other people. This seems to be a consistent occurrence for those in the average and unhealthy levels of the enneagram. INFPs are vulnerable to this when someone's values are different than our own, and we supplicate some of our values in order to avoid conflict and maintain peace. INFJs can lose their identity to a particularly mysterious or very dominant individual as Ni/Fe starts poking, prodding, or getting overwhelmed. What can cause me to lose aspects of my identity isn't the same as INFJs, but it still can happen.

I haven't really explored how INTPs and other types express E9 characteristics - especially the more empathetic aspects.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
sx - exacerbates E, makes J milder
sp - exacerbates I, makes J stronger
so - exacerbates J, makes N milder

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Being an INTP 9 I've always seen the impact of that 9 on my type, well always as in since I figured it out after having the test results etc but also retroactively seeing the sense it makes.

To me I figure the "stacking" is that I'm in essence a 9, INTP is how I work. So I guess the craftsman is the 9 and the tool box is the INTP bit.

I am however at odds with my father on this one who's dubious at best about the integrity of the enneagram.