• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Opposites" In Enneagram?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I don't know how valid this actually is but I think that it is possible to create 'opposite Enneagram types'.

According to the Enneagram, there are three Hornevian groups (Assertive, Withdrawn, and Compliant).

There are also three Harmonic groups (Positive Outlook, Competency, and Reactive)

Not all people of the same Enneagram type have the same 'opposite' Enneagram type.

Potential Opposites
1: 4, 7, 8, 9
2: 3, 4, 5, 8
3: 2, 4, 6, 9
4: 1, 2, 3, 7
5: 2, 6, 7, 8
6: 3, 5, 7, 9
7: 1, 4, 5, 6
8: 1, 2, 5, 9
9: 1, 3, 6, 8

This is determined by how you would rank how much you rely on the Hornevian styles and the Harmonic styles.

For example, I am a 6w5.

Since I am a 6, Compliant and Reactive are at the top of my list.

Compliant-#1, Reactive-#1

I have to decide which Hornevian Style I use more: Assertive or Withdrawn, I think I tend to be more Withdrawn.
As for Harmonic Styles, between Competency and Positive Outlook, I rely more on Competency.

So
Withdrawn-#2, Competency-#2

Therefore
Assertive-#3, Positive Outlook-#3

This makes 7 my opposite type since that is the one who is Assertive and has a Positive Outlook.

For those who aren't familiar with the Enneagram

1("The Reformer"): Compliant and Competency
2("The Helper"): Compliant and Positive Outlook
3("The Achiever"):Assertive and Competency
4("The Individualist"):Withdrawn and Reactive
5("The Investigator"):Withdrawn and Competency
6("The Loyalist"):Compliant and Reactive
7("The Enthusiast"):Assertive and Positive Outlook
8("The Challenger"):Assertive and Reactive
9("The Peacemaker"):Withdrawn and Positive Outlook

I am also curious what your results would be from this 'opposite' system. :)

My Enneagram Type: 6
My Enneagram Opposite: 7

Apollanaut

Senior Mugwump
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's an interesting idea you've come up with. According to your theory, my opposite type can be worked out as follows:

I am a 9w1

Therefore:

Withdrawn-#1, Positive Outlook-#1

From my One wing:

Compliant-#2, Competency-#2

Hence my opposite type would be:

Assertive-#3, Reactive-#3 = Type 8

That's scarily accurate - I'm about as far from a Type 8 as it's possible to get!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I look at the Enneagram in terms of Expressive and Responsve behavior.
Expressive (extrovert)=3, 7, 8 Reserved (introvert)=4, 5, 6 Moderate (ambivert)=1, 2, 9
Responsive (informative)=2, 6, 9 directive=1, 5, 8, Moderate D/Inf=3, 4, 9.

So the opposites in this system would be 1 - 2; 3 - 4; 5 - 7; 6 - 8. ( would be directly in the middle as completely moderate. Though I'm actually mapping them to the five temperament system, while others may see the 6 as more ceter, and the 9 as introverted and responsive. (Which would make it the opposite of 8 instead).

Here's the basis of this mapping:
enneagram.jpg

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I personally think 9 is way more introverted than 6.