User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which enneagram type is most to be suicidal and commit suicide?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1w2

0 0%
  • 1w9

0 0%
  • 2w1

0 0%
  • 2w3

0 0%
  • 3w2

0 0%
  • 3w4

0 0%
  • 4w3

0 0%
  • 4w5

3 100.00%
  • 5w4

0 0%
  • 5w6

0 0%
  • 6w5

0 0%
  • 6w7

0 0%
  • 7w6

0 0%
  • 7w8

0 0%
  • 8w7

0 0%
  • 8w9

0 0%
  • 9w1

0 0%
  • 9w8

0 0%
12 Last

Default Which enneagram types are most likely to suffer from suicidal ideation?

I am likely 4w5, although I was once typed as 5w4. Of all types and wings, which enneagram combinations are most likely to suffer with suicidal ideation and/or commit suicide.
    Can you mention specific examples.

Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    SiTi
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

This is not type specific or related. There is some vague correlation between certain mental illnesses and type, but realistically any type can suffer from mental illness as well as suicide idealization.

Not type related.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp

Mental illness is less type-related than it is sometimes portrayed. Any time can have depression or more extreme illnesses such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. I know this because I have schizoaffective disorder and have met many, many others who have mental illnesses. Stereotypes like that mostly Fives have schizophrenia or Sevens have bipolar disorder are inaccurate in my experience.
    Likes Pioneer liked this post

MBTI
    IN?P
    Enneagram
    592 sx/sp

I believe I've heard the hypothesis that Fours are more prone to having suicidal thoughts than other types being explained by the idea that Fours are relatively detached from the world around them and do not see their place or role in society/life as clearly as other types do, which makes them more likely to think that the world and the people close to them don't need and can do without them.

I guess this is not to say that some types are more likely than others to suffer from mental illnesses, but that some types might be more likely to consider suicide than others because of the way they see the world and their place in it.

I wouldn't correlate suicidal ideation with ennea-type.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I wouldn't correlate suicidal ideation with ennea-type.

There is no need to push the idea too much but I am fairly sure that suicide rates between all 9 of them aren't in perfect balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    There is no need to push the idea too much but I am fairly sure that suicide rates between all 9 of them aren't in perfect balance.
    Bring the data and then we can talk about it.

If I were pressed to predict a pattern, I'd say perhaps the withdrawn types because they are naturally prone to turning inward and indulging in thought, removed from reality, so perhaps they'd lean toward ideation. Other types may be more prone to impulsive decisions, like 7, so their actual suicide rates may be higher. I'm not sure how common suicide would be with type 8, but I'd guess less overall.

There are too many patterns to assess, and no assessing going on, so I don't think this question can be answered accurately. I also think the question itself is problematic because it disrespects the broad and rather serious nature of depression and suicide.

MBTI
    xNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Bring the data and then we can talk about it.

If I were pressed to predict a pattern, I'd say perhaps the withdrawn types because they are naturally prone to turning inward and indulging in thought, removed from reality, so perhaps they'd lean toward ideation. Other types may be more prone to impulsive decisions, like 7, so their actual suicide rates may be higher. I'm not sure how common suicide would be with type 8, but I'd guess less overall.

There are too many patterns to assess, and no assessing going on, so I don't think this question can be answered accurately. I also think the question itself is problematic because it disrespects the broad and rather serious nature of depression and suicide.

And this is the data you want.
    The real question is more how big are the differences than are there any differences. The odds that all types are in perfect balance are basically none existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    And this is the data you want.
    The real question is more how big are the differences than are there any differences. The odds that all types are in perfect balance are basically none existent.
    Yes, but without the data, it's speculation.

When it comes to mental illness, I prefer to let all the facts flow while still maintaining an open mind because it's a subject which should be considered and discussed thoroughly.