• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Random Thought Thread

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Post your random thoughts, questions, or whatevers about the enneagram here in this spectacular thread.

Black Sun

I'm just wondering if anyone sees a good amount of influence from both possible wings in themselves
Been thinking about this :shrug:

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm just wondering if anyone sees a good amount of influence from both possible wings in themselves

It's not super uncommon, some people are a bit more balanced than others in that department and technically, you have bits of both wings within you regardless of type. I'm not anti-8 (though I seem to have a distinct enough preference to choose a type to work with), some people feel completely balanced, in theory at least balanced types exist.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I agree with RadicalDoubt that it's not really uncommon.

Personally, I think I am a type 6w5, but I see a good amount of influence from both possible wings. I'm definitely withdrawn and appear somewhat like a 5, and I think that the way I deal with anxiety is also closer to a 5 because I tend to partake in endless research about certain problems instead of going through the avoidance route. However, I relate to the idealism of type 7, as it is a part of the frustration triad, which I see a lot of myself in.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe heart last? I guess I would have to figure out why you hated it most, though.
Why do you relate shame to the heart fix? Seems it could just as easily be tied to gut.

Same. I don't think organization necessarily correlates to functions.
Organization, at least what we observe, is a behavior and that is not a reliable basis for typing. Now the desire for organization, including what kind and in which contexts, is more telling.

I think this is Se / Ni? Because you were objective about what you saw, and then formed your own conclusion of it based on the objective sight.
Again, recall that everyone uses every function, and similar courses of action can result from quite different functional combinations, depending on the person's goals and values, and circumstances.

My own thoughts- I don't necessarily think artistry is necessarily E4 or a withdrawn triad thing, though looking into how it occurs and why, may shed some light into the motivations, which in turn can be tied to enneagram types. I can easily imagine artistic 3s and 7s (especially 7s).
Exactly. Any type/fix can be artistic, differing in how and why they do it, what they get out of it, etc. This in fact is a good example of where stereotypes about S-types fail, namely that they lack imagination. ISFP is often called "the artist".

3) You mentioned that I am more likely 5 or 7 over 6. Can you give further explanation as to why, especially on the 7?
This may not be properly rooted in theory, but I see both 5 and 7 as being more adventurous than 6, for lack of a better word. 5 adventures in the mental plane, the world of ideas; and 7 in the physical plane, the world of experience. By contrast, and I'm sure this is stereotyping, 6 seems more of a "homebody".

Of I would guess INTJ, I feel a bit weaker about that guess namely because you don't appear to be as Ni-ish as some Ni-doms (think Coriolis). You also strike me as having a better Se than inferior because you appear observant. I just think that you lean more toward the Ni-Se axis, actually.
If you look just at the functions, many times they don't stack up for a person the way theory suggests they should. For instance, when I do a JCF test, I get Ni>Ne>Se>Si, though in theory as an INTJ, I should have Se>Ne. I suppose one could fault the test for not correctly discriminating between the function attitudes, or it could be that people are more complex than the theory can describe.

I don't know how to explain that, so I just gave Coriolis as an example. You vibe very differently from her, who I think is a strong Ni user.
Yes, Earl Grey and I have sometimes been called out as similar, likely because we have some similarities in presentation. That is based on observed behavior, which is a poor basis for typing. We are in fact quite different once you dig beneath the surface.

I did say rigidity. I think it's too much of a stereotype. I was vibe-typing you in Discord so I'm not sure how seriously I would take that. There are many stereotypes of all my typology that I myself don't fit so it's ridiculous to expect you to fit through this one.
You do indeed defy stereotypes, including some I listed above. But I will save comment on your type for your own thread, after I have had time to review all you have shared there.

That was more so of an observation than something in the thread. I guess observations about people is different than observations about surroundings, though.
Yes, it matters what sorts of observations someone makes, and which subjects catch their eye to be observed.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ahhhhhhhhh!

Being a 9:

I need internal balance.

Reality: But there's this external thing ... scale tips

Maybe if I just ruminate hard enough, I can mentally push the scale back into a balanced position.

Reality: Muahahahaaa! No! What you really have to do is the OPPOSITE of what you're inclined to do and let go of the rumination in order to get back to a state of balance.

*bangs head against wall*

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think a lot of people dont understand enneagram 6 at all.

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I think a lot of people dont understand enneagram 6 at all.
Smh, a lot of times they practically mistake it for GAD or something...but perhaps you've observed something different that makes you think most don't get it, I don't know. May I ask what it is?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Smh, a lot of times they practically mistake it for GAD or something...but perhaps you've observed something different that makes you think most don't get it, I don't know. May I ask what it is?
Like not understanding the difference between phobic and counterphibic, thinking 6s are all neurotic, perceived exaggeration of the characteristics etc

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do people really assume E7's never get depressed? We do; just eat, drink, party, sleep, distract ourselves, and make dirty jokes our way out of it (that last one could just be a me thing).

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do people really assume E7's never get depressed? We do; just eat, drink, party, sleep, distract ourselves, and make dirty jokes our way out of it (that last one could just be a me thing).

I figure it's a given that any type can develop depression. Just that one type may self-medicate, mask, or otherwise cope in superficially different ways than the next. :shrug:

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do you relate shame to the heart fix? Seems it could just as easily be tied to gut.

Oh, I didn't see this until now.

I learned enneagram by connecting heart fix directly to shame, head fix directly to fear, and gut fix directly to anger. Of course everyone feels all types but I look through those emotions through those specific types when typing people.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I tend to suppress all my emotions for the sake of being productive...Is that a number thing?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh I didn't know we had this thread so I just spewed a rant about being 9 in the normal random thought thread. well it's there if anyone wants to read it, but it's kind of a bummer so you might want to avoid if you don't want a downer today.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I tend to suppress all my emotions for the sake of being productive...Is that a number thing?

Compartmentalizing, I think that's a numbers thing.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean why couldn't I be a 6 or a 5 or even a 1? At least they're not spineless doormats with rage issues when they're in their default modes.

Why did I even have to be reminded of 9 and the enneagram again anyway? I had mostly given up on typology and just came to this forum to shitpost or post an occasional rant on star wars or some other unimportant topic. Then someone close me discovered the enneagram and suddenly they want to talk about it. And me, having some basic knowledge got interested and chatted about it. But then that got me reading about 9 and watching videos again. And now I remember how painful it is whenever I look at type 9 and see it so painfully reflected in myself. I'm a person why hardly ever sheds tears or shows sorrow outwardly, yet last night I was crying after watching a series of videos on type 9. I think part of the reason I gave up on typology was that I got tired of wallowing in it and looking at how broken and deficient I am.

I don't really like to be reminded of all of my deficiencies and failures, but on the other hand a part of me can't help myself. There's something nice about being able to wallow in this and say "I can't help it, it's just how I am, it's just 9 bullshit"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can also see that 9 tendency to short sell one's own potential and accomplishments. I can see a coworker of mine going out of her way to impress our bosses and I'm pretty sure this person is going to get promoted above me in the future. This person has been with the company a fraction of the time I have, and I've busted my ass, rarely complaining, and often going far beyond my expected duties to get the job done. But I don't really advertise this. Why would I? I'm not some self-promoting 3. Actually I find it very difficult to talk up any positive qualities about myself or accomplishments. The time I did get promoted, was largely a result of me going out of my way and asking my boss about it. So I realized back then, it's not that I'm less than colleagues who seem to be advancing and succeeding more despite doing the same amount and quality (or in some past cases, less) work as me, It's that I just have to put myself out there and take an active part in my own progress. I just wish it didn't seem so effortless with other types. I realize they all have to put effort into this, but let's be honest, a 9 has a sort of built-in handicap in that regard that makes it twice as hard to speak up for themselves and really advertise their strengths. For some people, it really does seem to come effortlessly. And I think for some types, yes, it will seem like less effort because they might be more naturally inclined to self-promote and seek success.

There's also the tendency to intitially work very hard and diligently, only to become jaded and angry that people don't seem to see it, and even doubly angry and jaded when they joke that I'm lazy or super laid back. If they knew the inner turmoil and how Ihard I really work. But they just see this dopey, laid back, stoic person and assume I'm just lazily going through the motions. Eventually I get to a point where I wonder why I bother working so hard when it goes ignored and co workers are just going to be recognized and advanced beyond me anyway? So then I really do start slacking and putting in half-efforts. If that's how they see me, and they aren't going to see when I sweat and bust my ass, I'll just give them what they see. Then when I quit or get fired, they can realize how much I actually did as they scramble to pick up the slack. Why excel if no one's paying attention? Why excel if it's only going to hurt you more than help you? Fuck it, you can have my 40% because you haven't appreciated or earned the other 60%

Put my picture in one of those "starter kit" memes, in this case, the bitter old loser starter kit.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I can also see that 9 tendency to short sell one's own potential and accomplishments. I can see a coworker of mine going out of her way to impress our bosses and I'm pretty sure this person is going to get promoted above me in the future. This person has been with the company a fraction of the time I have, and I've busted my ass, rarely complaining, and often going far beyond my expected duties to get the job done. But I don't really advertise this. Why would I? I'm not some self-promoting 3. Actually I find it very difficult to talk up any positive qualities about myself or accomplishments. The time I did get promoted, was largely a result of me going out of my way and asking my boss about it. So I realized back then, it's not that I'm less than colleagues who seem to be advancing and succeeding more despite doing the same amount and quality (or in some past cases, less) work as me, It's that I just have to put myself out there and take an active part in my own progress. I just wish it didn't seem so effortless with other types. I realize they all have to put effort into this, but let's be honest, a 9 has a sort of built-in handicap in that regard that makes it twice as hard to speak up for themselves and really advertise their strengths. For some people, it really does seem to come effortlessly. And I think for some types, yes, it will seem like less effort because they might be more naturally inclined to self-promote and seek success.

There's also the tendency to intitially work very hard and diligently, only to become jaded and angry that people don't seem to see it, and even doubly angry and jaded when they joke that I'm lazy or super laid back. If they knew the inner turmoil and how Ihard I really work. But they just see this dopey, laid back, stoic person and assume I'm just lazily going through the motions. Eventually I get to a point where I wonder why I bother working so hard when it goes ignored and co workers are just going to be recognized and advanced beyond me anyway? So then I really do start slacking and putting in half-efforts. If that's how they see me, and they aren't going to see when I sweat and bust my ass, I'll just give them what they see. Then when I quit or get fired, they can realize how much I actually did as they scramble to pick up the slack. Why excel if no one's paying attention? Why excel if it's only going to hurt you more than help you? Fuck it, you can have my 40% because you haven't appreciated or earned the other 60%

Put my picture in one of those "starter kit" memes, in this case, the bitter old loser starter kit.