• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Random Thought Thread

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A coworker of mine is a 9w1. I’m a 9w8 and it’s really interesting and illuminating to see the contrast. I had previously been unclear on my wing.

She is a lot more perfectionistic than me and very tuned in to catching details. I am too, but not nearly to the same degree. I am a bit more, how to put it...explosive than her. Not in the sense that I explode more but that my general temperament is a little more volatile and bearish.

We are both idealistic but it presents a bit differently.

I think my 8 wing is most apparent in my sense of humor.

I’m glad she is familiar with the enneagram. I told her I think she is a 9 and she agreed right away. She said she’d taken the tests and kept getting different results. She couldn’t decide as several sounded like her. I told her this might be a sign she’s a 9, due to 9 encompassing or mirroring certain aspects of every other type

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I tend to suppress all my emotions for the sake of being productive...Is that a number thing?

Lots of different types do that, even emotional types sometimes. Sometimes it has little to do with the type itself and more to do with life being a bit crushing.

But, Sp 3 is very much like that, and even Sp 4 suppresses emotions, or hides them, or tries to convince themselves that they are feeling something different than they really are.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Suppressing emotions in order to be productive can sometimes be great. It forces you to focus on something else. Maybe that's why I actually enjoy having exams like; ah finally- a break from myself!

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I tend to suppress all my emotions for the sake of being productive...Is that a number thing?

Could potentially related to the positive outlook types (7,9,2), or even related to 3.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
On occasions I wonder if I could have an 8 wing, purely because no one irl seems to see my 1 at all and despite being emotionally neutral most of the time, my lack of agreeableness often comes across as either intensity or aggression. Initially, I had a friend who asserted that he saw me as 9w8 (or 5w6) core as well just because I didn't have the righteousness of 1, though in good health I control my "moralism" a lot in order to not be annoying. Could just be dis to 6 as well or like... Me reaching the limits of my repression, but has anyone ever met intense or aggressive passive (comparatively to passive aggressive) 9w1s in particular? I relate heavily to 1 and have seen some pretty wrath filled 1s, I don't think 9w1 being semi-disagreeable is impossible from that.

(EDIT: To clarify, I am not considering 9w8 for my type, I'm actually pretty comfortable with 9w1, I was just curious about stereotype vs reality of the type and wanted to start a conversation on that)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On occasions I wonder if I could have an 8 wing, purely because no one irl seems to see my 1 at all and despite being emotionally neutral most of the time, my lack of agreeableness often comes across as either intensity or aggression. Initially, I had a friend who asserted that he saw me as 9w8 (or 5w6) core as well just because I didn't have the righteousness of 1, though in good health I control my "moralism" a lot in order to not be annoying. Could just be dis to 6 as well or like... Me reaching the limits of my repression, but has anyone ever met intense or aggressive passive (comparatively to passive aggressive) 9w1s in particular? I relate heavily to 1 and have seen some pretty wrath filled 1s, I don't think 9w1 being semi-disagreeable is impossible from that.

(EDIT: To clarify, I am not considering 9w8 for my type, I'm actually pretty comfortable with 9w1, I was just curious about stereotype vs reality of the type and wanted to start a conversation on that)

With age I have become more 'aggressive'. But it's in an assertive/contained/to-the-point//no-nonsense way, not a loud way. And/or a Get-off-my-lawn/killjoy effect. The price I personally pay is internal agitation/stress/anxiety re doing so, but with age I have found I don't have a whole lot of patience with people anymore, and I can't not do it. It doesn't help anyone involved not to speak up or to avoid. I also hate being perceived negatively or disliked but with age I'm just accepting that price more too.

As a manager of people (bleh) I'm pretty sure no one would say I'm passive at this point. Ha. I am 'chill' and flexible with folks if you don't take advantage, have good intentions, are mature, etc, but I will be 'not cool' if you're the opposite.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Upsides and downsides of being a 9:

More potential to find enlightenment than any other type

More potential to be brainwashed by a cult or end up in prison than any other type

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
8w7's are the most fascinating type to me because I've never met one yet irl (or one I easily identified as such).

Introspector

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am very positive on my 6-ness, I'm so 6 (and a phobic one at that), that it hurts and I can't believe I ever thought I was something else.

However, I wasn't sure on my other numbers in my tritype. After some deep-diving, I am pretty confident that I have a 1 in the stack. I have strong ethics and ideals and I match everything to those standards. Due to that, I think of everything in extremes; I'm a black-and-white thinker. However, I am still way more 6 than 1. Now, my major revelation today was that I'm pretty sure I'm not a 3; I believe I'm a 4. One thing about the types 6, 1, and 3 that they share but I never really felt is the taskmaster aspect. While I consider myself to be responsible, mainly when it affects others, when it comes to myself and my business I'm pretty lazy, I'm totally content with doing nothing for like weeks, and I procrastinate. While I avoid situations where I do things I'm not good at, I'm very individualistic, I am very interested in countercultures despite living a normal life, and I'm notoriously a contrarian to the point where it can be really annoying for others. I'm definitely not a people pleaser.

Now here are my questions, it's a lot but maybe someone knows the answer. First off, what are the differences between 641 and 614? How would the different 1 and 4 wings act in this stack? And how would the different instinctual variants act in this stack. I have my instinctual variants on my profile but I quite honestly have no idea with them. The ISTJ 613 didn't really match, I'm very far from the stereotypical ISTJ and that tritype is pretty much "the ISTJ type."

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I am very positive on my 6-ness, I'm so 6 (and a phobic one at that), that it hurts and I can't believe I ever thought I was something else.

However, I wasn't sure on my other numbers in my tritype. After some deep-diving, I am pretty confident that I have a 1 in the stack. I have strong ethics and ideals and I match everything to those standards. Due to that, I think of everything in extremes; I'm a black-and-white thinker. However, I am still way more 6 than 1. Now, my major revelation today was that I'm pretty sure I'm not a 3; I believe I'm a 4. One thing about the types 6, 1, and 3 that they share but I never really felt is the taskmaster aspect. While I consider myself to be responsible, mainly when it affects others, when it comes to myself and my business I'm pretty lazy, I'm totally content with doing nothing for like weeks, and I procrastinate. While I avoid situations where I do things I'm not good at, I'm very individualistic, I am very interested in countercultures despite living a normal life, and I'm notoriously a contrarian to the point where it can be really annoying for others. I'm definitely not a people pleaser.

Now here are my questions, it's a lot but maybe someone knows the answer. First off, what are the differences between 641 and 614? How would the different 1 and 4 wings act in this stack? And how would the different instinctual variants act in this stack. I have my instinctual variants on my profile but I quite honestly have no idea with them. The ISTJ 613 didn't really match, I'm very far from the stereotypical ISTJ and that tritype is pretty much "the ISTJ type."

Combining fears of types, I think that 641 would be very fixated on being contrarian in thought in particular as a means to both ensure they are not being manipulated or becoming a "drone" of society and unconsciously fuel their ego of being more aware than others (due to 6s skepticism and fear or not being able to take care of themselves and 4s fear of lacking an identity discernible from others). This ordering would accent the reactive triad ideals, which tend to be individuality, honesty (both emotionally and truthfully), and ability to deal with problems without re-framing them or pushing them off. Of course it would also accent the traits of forced contrarian-ness/hyper-skepticism, reactivity (not necessarily emotionally, but generally having a stronger internal or external reaction to things than most people; Not being able to let things go), and connection to one's emotions or opinions. Gut last would bring that black and white thinking that comes with 61 combos in general, but generally leaves a person un-grounded (not in reality per-say, but in general) and detached from their instincts to a degree. Anger would be filtered through fear and shame rather than naturally existing (although in general, 6s tend to be one of the more "angry" types, so perhaps that's not the clearest way to go about it). In ISTJ, it would probably accent Fi both in healthy and unhealthy ways.

614 by comparison would be more ethically focused, needing to do the right thing in the face of others and being skeptical to reveal what has not been thought of as a means of ensuring internal security through their actions and confidence in doing the right thing and aversion to being evil or corrupt by blindly following the rules. This combination would accent the compliant/superego triads, which tend to be more fixated on what should or must be done, sometimes at detriment to their own desires or impulses. Emotional reactivity from the 6 would be toned down due to the 1 desire for "objectivity" and levelheadedness, but the black and white thinking of both of these types would be heavily accented alongside the need for structure and clarity of expectations and actions. Shame last would bring upon a disconnect from the ego (but not the superego) in the sense that how one comes across is not necessarily cared about and the creation of an identity is either de-prioritized or not really present. Shame and issues of self worth would be filtered through fear and rage (although since 6 disintegrates to 3, this would not always be the most clear way to look at things). In ISTJ, it would probably accent the presence of Te

(of course, that's just accenting higher grade types, if you're 146 you'll likely relate to both to some degree)

Iv should probably be considered separately of your type. Sp dom just means prioritization of the self, mental and physical energy, and maintenance of boundaries over relationships and connections to impulses and desires. Generally speaking, sp dominance and sx blindness would make this tritype less "spicey" in the sense that with some iv combinations of that triad, 146 can become somewhat outwardly reactive and outwardly angry/critical and sp would probably make that a bit more internalized, but that's very much extrapolation rather than definite.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I understand the differences between 7w6 and 7w8 in the abstract. But, how do they experience their head center/anxiety differently from one another; how does it manifest behaviorally and in other respects?

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I understand the differences between 7w6 and 7w8 in the abstract. But, how do they experience their head center/anxiety differently from one another; how does it manifest behaviorally and in other respects?

I always look at it between the wings, one is paranoid, and the other is assertive. Even if it were a counterphobic 6, it would be more rooted within the paranoia than the assertive nature. I consider myself 7w6 and I've seen 7w8 and I always notice a core difference is a tempering.
7w8 is just...more likely to do the thing. It is more likely to say it, do it, complete escapism and abandon. 7w6, is cautious, worrisome. They may start the thing but the 6 will begin to argue, the 6 will make them question. 7w6 may spend time pandering the thing more than doing the thing. It may find itself exploring things without ever doing them, it may recklessly burn a bridge out of sheer paranoia.

I don't know if this makes any sense. XD

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I think Jazzy put it well. I think 7w8 being double ID is extra blind to external influences (even with soc) VS the 6 which employs an attachment style, which basically looks to the external for cues. This isn't being a sheep, but rather a realistic practicality that can devolve into paralyzed, or destructive paranoia / overpreparing when in lower health.

I only know 7w8s in real life, only one of them is a soc dom, but I can see that even with soc there's a 'ME FIRST ME FIRST' kind of thing that they unconsciously do, even if they are generous after. They just seem to... Say there was a chest with gold. 7w8 barges in "THE CHEST IS MINE!" The 7w8 seems more consistently blind to all but itself and more brash at worst. 7w6 has this kind of quiet contemplation (manifesting in either cautiousness or anxiety) on what opening the chest would mean. On one side the w8 seems more confident and decisive, on the other 7w6 has a more grounded sensibility for a 7 and are quicker to ask their mates for input or to share their... Whatever it is the 7 likes or is after.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
E9 is the best type and if anyone disagrees will me I'll say nothing while silently building resentment towards you because I don't wanna deal with the conflict.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People say 7s are the likely druggies but I think it’s 9 that is more likely to get stuck in dependence

I think they’re also prime candidates for forming functional addictions that they do a good job of hiding from others.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I mean at least the best fictional characters tend to be 9s

Another great reason to escape and retreat from the world!

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
People say 7s are the likely druggies but I think it’s 9 that is more likely to get stuck in dependence

I think they’re also prime candidates for forming functional addictions that they do a good job of hiding from others.

*insert "Not an Addict" by K's Choice*

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spider-man 2 (the Raimi one) might be the most 9 superhero movie I’ve seen

The whole subplot about Peter trying to balance his life with his secret identity felt like one big existential 9 struggle