• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Good Enneagram learning resources?

rocco

MBTI Type
intj
Can I get recommendations to books and/or online resources on learning enneagram? Thanks

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've seen a lot of people reference "Wisdom of the Enneagram" (Riso and Hudson I think) as a good place to start (and having read parts of it myself, I tend to agree; You could probably find it free online somewhere). Not every description is perfect, as of course every author will have their bias, but it's pretty comprehensive and will give you at the very least a basic understanding of all the types to work with. Unfortunately, great descriptions of all the types are not found in one place, though I know Tom Candon tends to also do a really decent job with things (his work is pretty easily accessible online and he tends to favor the more "unpopular" types such as 6 in descriptions which provides a decent counter to many other resources). Naranjo's "Character and Neurosis" has also been transcribed/summarized online by a tumblr user (tumblr isn't always a great resource but it seems to be a direct summary from the book so it's not skewed in a super weird way).

In terms of online resources, the best I've found by far is the enneagrammer. Again, not perfect, but it does a really great job of describing the instinctual variants in particular of the enneagram system and kind of provides a short introduction to the types in a palatable fashion.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
In terms of online resources, the best I've found by far is the enneagrammer. Again, not perfect, but it does a really great job of describing the instinctual variants in particular of the enneagram system and kind of provides a short introduction to the types in a palatable fashion.

I find enneagrammer to be rather a hit or miss. I think some of their information is really good, but at the same time I also find the concept of "collage typing" to be a little silly. I mean it's fun to do as a "type the above user based on a collage", but I don't think it's really anything more than that tbh. Especially given that they charge $50 for that.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find enneagrammer to be rather a hit or miss. I think some of their information is really good, but at the same time I also find the concept of "collage typing" to be a little silly. I mean it's fun to do as a "type the above user based on a collage", but I don't think it's really anything more than that tbh. Especially given that they charge $50 for that.

I agree with that completely, I find their celebrity typings to be off too. The tritypes are also oversimplified, but tritype descriptions are generally a bit shifty so I figured that's the norm. This is important to note, as I was moreso referring to their text based things.

miss deceit

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree with that completely, I find their celebrity typings to be off too. The tritypes are also oversimplified, but tritype descriptions are generally a bit shifty so I figured that's the norm. This is important to note, as I was moreso referring to their text based things.

Yeah that makes sense, I don't think I've ever really seen any good tritype descriptions to be honest. I haven't looked through their celeb typings in detail but from a brief look through some of them did seem off.

rocco

MBTI Type
intj
How does Enneagram compliment MBTI typing, in a technical way? Because I often see people state their MBTI type together with their enneagram type.

I'm also interested in learning Socionics, but I see people less often use/state Socionics type in tandem with their MBTI type.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think there's something to collages being able to help type instincts, because we're drawn to certain things on an instinctual level. I'm not sure about typing someone's complete tritype that way, however.

- - - Updated - - -

How does Enneagram compliment MBTI typing, in a technical way? Because I often see people state their MBTI type together with their enneagram type.

Enneagram is the why, MBTI is the how.

RadicalDoubt

MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm also interested in learning Socionics, but I see people less often use/state Socionics type in tandem with their MBTI type.
I you look through how each of the types are described, you often find that there is a decent amount of overlap between thinking patterns, behavior and mechanisms. Like [MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] mentioned, enneagram is about why, mbti is about how, but often times, people with similar motivations will share some similarities in background and thinking patterns/mechanisms of action, thus allowing for a degree of correlation between one type and the next.