• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Which enneatypes are more likely to experience depersonalization/derealization?

Pasteldemerme

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Disclaimer: English is not my first language, this post is terribly written. Additionally, I am new to the site, which also plays into it.

A few years ago, there was no doubt I was a 5w4 sp. I still identify as such. For reference, I'm also an INTP-T. However, after taking various tests recently, it does not seem as clear. I got 9>5>7>4 in one, 5 in another one that did not take wings into account, 5>9>4, 5>4>6, 5sp>4so>6sp>9sx... anyway, I believe the trend does seem rather clear.
I would normally not look that much into this and trust my own judgement, but I decided to this time. Now, it might seem as if this whole post was unrelated to the actual question, but let me explain:

Over these last two years, I started experiencing depersonalization and derealization quite frequently. To clarify, it did not rise to a pathological level. It started out during a really short depressive episode and for some reason it stayed after it was over. I cannot explain this myself, and it probably doesn't make much sense.

The thing is, seeing how nine was one of the top types in two tests, and how I identified with some aspects of it, I have given it s bit of weight. Nine never showed at the top for me, I could even venture to say that I remember it being almost the last before. Repression seems like a top theme for these type, and repression also seems to be the defense mechanism I use the most. Nines tend to dissociate, or so I have read, although I lack knowledge.

Given that tendency, I wondered whether it also works the other way around, whether being dissociated gives me some traits associated with nines. I also wondered how did I get to that point in the first place, and how my actual personality played into it. I wondered which aspects can result in dissociation for each type, and which types are the most prone to it, apart from nines.

Thus the question. Has anyone noticed any trends in regards to this? Can anyone think of an explanation? Am I mistyping myself? What are your views on the whole thing?

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Have you experienced any trauma?
I ask because I have and what you described sounds familiar. I would get classic "episodes" during steel tensile testing. The sound is very jarring, like a gun. It got to the point where walking to and being in the lab caused sweating, shaking, hypervigilance, etc.... but outside of that there was also a fog that would set in later. The detachment lasted long enough that my GP had me tested for absence seizures.
Anyway, we're both 5w4 INTP, also. Ever wish for a different type?

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would be hesitant to correlate depersonalization/derealism to a type, especially if you mostly noticed this behavior after a depressive episode. Those two things are very common symptoms of a depressive disorder in general, so it's important to differentiate whether it's more symptomatic than behavioral. By nature, core 9 is inclined towards some level of "depersonalization," but it is more in the sense that the 9 is equilibrium seeking, separating being from the self and more negative passions in order to create boundaries between both the self (and undesired emotions) and the outside world (and what threatens their own personal equilibrium). If repression and dissociation are common defense mechanisms that you've always used to get through life rather than hording information and using that information to rationalize/repress fear and bias (though you could likely use both, it's important to differentiate order), maybe 9 could be a better fit since the two types tend to mistype as one another often. However, if this is the first time you've really been seeing traits of type 9, it might just be a symptomatic thing, because anyone with depression or other dissociative disorders tend to feel this regardless of type.