User Tag List

First 123 Last

๖ēhiຖ໓ thē Ş¢ēຖēŞ fคirฯ🐇 Luminous's Avatar
    MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tina&Jane View Post
    I think the unorthodox core/wing combinations seem questionable, but I am getting a kick out of some of the nicknames like "the paranoid android", "the basement dweller", and "the edgelord"
    Yes, I don't think the alternate wings make any sense at all.

You could look at them as tritype combos...
    I do like 2w9: The Lover
    3w7: The Charismatic
    9w2: The Peacemaker
    9w5: The Wizard

They have 9w8 as The Cat! @The Cat

but 6w7 as "the hitler youth"? Ouch.
    Likes The Tsarevich liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/so

They seem more like a joke or someone playing around rather than a serious attempt at revamping enneagram theory, but yeah some of the names are not a good look
    Likes RadicalDoubt liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Yes, I don't think the alternate wings make any sense at all.

You could look at them as tritype combos...
    I do like 2w9: The Lover
    3w7: The Charismatic
    9w2: The Peacemaker
    9w5: The Wizard

They have 9w8 as The Cat! @The Cat

but 6w7 as "the hitler youth"? Ouch.
    For what reason have you summoned, I, The Cat to this?

Weep not poor children
    For life is this way
    Murdering beauty and passions

ESFP 4w3 7w8 9w8 sx/so
    Se>Fi>Si>Fe>Te>Ni=Ne>Ti

I like my town with a little drop of poison:
    Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane...

๖ēhiຖ໓ thē Ş¢ēຖēŞ fคirฯ🐇 Luminous's Avatar
    MBTI
    dɟu
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
    For what reason have you summoned, I, The Cat to this?
    Because they named a type after you.
    Likes The Cat liked this post

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    479 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Because they named a type after you.
    All of them are named after me.

Weep not poor children
    For life is this way
    Murdering beauty and passions

ESFP 4w3 7w8 9w8 sx/so
    Se>Fi>Si>Fe>Te>Ni=Ne>Ti

I like my town with a little drop of poison:
    Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane...

Likes Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Tina&Jane View Post
    They seem more like a joke or someone playing around rather than a serious attempt at revamping enneagram theory, but yeah some of the names are not a good look
    Perhaps, but still interesting.
    If in one side, it is questionable to do these 2w9 and these alternative, in the other side, by what I point out, the own actual wing system is questionable as well.

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI None

This has nothing to do with the Enneagram. These people just use the terms "Enneagram" and "tritype" incorrectly and then use numbers 1 to 9. That's the only commonality it has to it. No type is described correctly. This went off the deep end of "alternative" straight into "wrong."

Give me a fourth dot. The Tsarevich's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    478 sx/sp
    Socionics
    :-( None

I mean people didn't just arbitrarily line up the types and say, You must choose a wing next to you. The idea of wings came from years of observations and interviews. It's like the table of elements--people didn't just place the elements where they wanted, they arranged them in a way that unfolded naturally and made many patterns obvious.

One pattern enneagram makes obvious is that each type is generally able to recognize the psychologies of its neighbouring types within itself. This has been noted as far back as Ichazo, and some theorists even argue for Wing Tension Theory--the notion that our core type is the created the tensions/differences between our two (adjacent) wings.

I personally have readily found both wings in myself, operating at baseline, and it has been a great aid to inner work. I have also seen this wing pattern clearly in others--reliably enough that I am easily able to settle typing disputes by looking for the presence of both wings. There is order and structure to the universe.

I can only think that whoever invented this alternate enneagram hasn't gone deeply enough with enneagram, or observed it enough in the real world. The phenomenon of fixed-pattern wings is real and observable to those deeply-enough acquainted with the material. It's not orthodoxy, it's repeated observation.

As an aside, I can't seem to access the link on my phone, so I can't give my opinion on that part of it specifically. Sounds like a hoot though.

EDIT: Aaaaand 8w4, the Edgelord. I would probably be that if this theory were legit. And that is such a gross misunderstanding of what the two types are about. Try, Loner on a personal quest. I have no need to flaunt my edginess. I'm more interested in diplomacy, command, and rebuilding my life. Shrug. I knew it.
    Likes Luminous, RadicalDoubt, cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by The Tsarevich View Post
    I mean people didn't just arbitrarily line up the types and say, You must choose a wing next to you. The idea of wings came from years of observations and interviews. It's like the table of elements--people didn't just place the elements where they wanted, they arranged them in a way that unfolded naturally and made many patterns obvious.

One pattern enneagram makes obvious is that each type is generally able to recognize the psychologies of its neighbouring types within itself. This has been noted as far back as Ichazo, and some theorists even argue for Wing Tension Theory--the notion that our core type is the created the tensions/differences between our two (adjacent) wings.

I personally have readily found both wings in myself, operating at baseline, and it has been a great aid to inner work. I have also seen this wing pattern clearly in others--reliably enough that I am easily able to settle typing disputes by looking for the presence of both wings. There is order and structure to the universe.

I can only think that whoever invented this alternate enneagram hasn't gone deeply enough with enneagram, or observed it enough in the real world. The phenomenon of fixed-pattern wings is real and observable to those deeply-enough acquainted with the material. It's not orthodoxy, it's repeated observation.

As an aside, I can't seem to access the link on my phone, so I can't give my opinion on that part of it specifically. Sounds like a hoot though.

EDIT: Aaaaand 8w4, the Edgelord. I would probably be that if this theory were legit. And that is such a gross misunderstanding of what the two types are about. Try, Loner on a personal quest. I have no need to flaunt my edginess. I'm more interested in diplomacy, command, and rebuilding my life. Shrug. I knew it.
    Surprisingly, the enneagram has some Google Scholar article as I said before.
    There is evidence for the enneagram to be as respectable as Big 5 and MBTI, but thats for the 9 types enneagram.
    One of the articles did the same observation as I did (they measured what are the trend for other wings which arent the main) and the wings werent properly working (but the 9 types were). People with 9, for example, were not getting 1 and 8 in 2nd and 3rd. However, I didnt read that data with tritype theory in mind, so I dont know if that data goes against or in favor of tritype theory.
    Actually, more than one article should already did that.

About the enneagram history, thats quite interesting. I did a quick read that I dont remember much, but as far as I remember the enneagram was passed based on traditions somewhere in middle-east, and it was imported to America only in the 80´s. It should be the oldest typology from the typology triad (Big 5, MBTI, Enneagram). It doesnt really have a known creator or a list of creators, but I wouldnt be surprised if there is one institute "controlling" the "official" theory.

Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    639 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Vendrah View Post
    Finally the answer...=P

These days I started searching for enneagram in Google Scholar and found a few articles...
    Curiously, enneagram is older than both MBTI and Big 5. It has hundreds of years, but only started being imported to America (I mean the whole America, from North Canada to South Argentina) in the 80´s.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. Interesting, genuinely I've never looked into what google scholar has on the enneagram (which is sort of odd, since I've come across serious enough articles regarding the big 5 and mbti and such), I've mostly focused on the books and theory structure. I didn't know much about it historically either, I knew it was an older theory, however I didn't know it was newer in the Americas.

Not in this study specifically, but on other ones, they made a similar experience that I did, and measure which scores 9s gets in other types in average and did the same for everytype as well (and they didnt had the invalid triad problem I did), they basically didnt find the proper wings in most of 9 types (dont know about the triads although).

These things can be somewhat putten to the test. I dont think I could take info on that on Google Scholar, although I could ask the Sakinorva woman/guy about stats on her/his enneagram test, and see if questions like "When stressed or with fears, I tend to be inclined to retreat into my own inner world and contemplate" --> heavily agree to heavily disagree.
    Within type descriptions, even not considering the triads, 9, 5, and 4 all have a tendency to be described this way via description, using the inner world as a retreat in order to deal with their fears and the stresses of life. But you're disagreement/skepticism is valid here honestly. Of the enneagram theories, wing theory is younger than the concept of enneagram as a whole and, depending on how you define them (ie. as an adjacent modifier to core type behavior or a secondary type you are most supposed to relate to), the theory can be somewhat wobbly.

Im not quite sure if I trust the pure theory, although I do get some interest on it. 9w1 does have a meaning, even if most of 9w1 doesnt quite relate to 1, and thats the same for 3w4 and stuff like that, however Im quite unsure of these connections. Anyways, where you read these triads theory and things? Dont remember seeing good texts on that, but Im slowly learning enneagram with no hurrys, but in next days I pretend to give some google scholar reads in enneagrams, I had a quick look just on stats on the articles and read some titles, things seems to be interesting, specially in the history.
    The links that @Luminous recommended are some really good resources to start with (I'm thankful she suggested them, I don't keep track of my resources very well). If you're able to get access, I'd suggest "Wisdom of The Enneagram" by Riso and Hudson (it's a bit lengthy, you probably don't have to read the whole thing either and could probably get it for free off the interwebs, but it has a good amount of information on the triads, the types, and more detailed explanation about how the theory is structured).
    -
    “My deplorable mania for analysis exhausts me. I doubt everything, even my doubt.” Gustave Flaubert
    Likes Luminous, Vendrah liked this post