• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Can 9s be aware of their anger? Understanding repression.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'll write this post mostly from a personal standpoint.

So, I'm considering that I might be a 9, I did identify as that in the past, but I'm having trouble understanding the concept of repression.

Internalisation: energy directed inwardly
Externalisation: energy directed outwardly
Repression: energy directed unconsciously?

It seems that repression of anger in 9s manifests in terms of keeping in a state of mind that is anger free. But that state of mind cannot be maintained indefinitely. What happens when peace is hindered - is anger expressed explicitly?

example:
I often like to zone out and be totally free of distractions, but if there is noise around me - in particular when someone who should know better is being noisy, then I get angry. I might express the anger explicitly in order to remove the source of distraction so as to return to my state of peace. I would prefer it if I didn't have to get angry and could just be in a state of mind conducive to my intention, but this isn't always the case.

another example:
I consider myself as a "victim" of the mental health system. I'm forced to take anti-psychotics, and I view the whole situation as suppressive and morally abhorrent. So I am frequently angry about this. I would much prefer it if I could just be who I want to be and not be constantly tranquilised and afraid to be myself, but the corruption of the world has overcome me.

In general: an anger at what I perceive as unjust behaviour, particularly when it's causing me considerable amounts of stress (it can be vicarious too of course in terms of anger at the mistreatment of another).

So I'm often angry, but I'm not angry to push myself to be better, or angry as a means of obtaining what I want (for the most part). It's anger about being made to be angry, in a sense. I would prefer tranquility.

Is this how 9s work? Or what is repression of anger? Similarly, when a 6 loses their security, don't they feel fear and want to return to security? Don't repressed emotions resurface when the thing keeping them down is removed?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I had an insight about this. When thinking about people I know irl, there are some who I can say are likely repression types, and when interacting with them there is this pattern of: negative emotion surfaces -> there is no reason to feel that emotion -> push it down -> repeat, and then once the interaction ends there is a FLOOD of that negative emotion.

So I guess repression is likely constantly dismissing a certain emotional state etc. but then having it flood you when the defensive mechanism gives way.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Why this would be a 9 thing and not related to any other enneagram?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Why this would be a 9 thing and not related to any other enneagram?

Personality Tools: Understanding the Enneagram (from a Myers-Briggs expert) — Personality Type and Personal Growth | Personality Hacker

The first number in each triad “expresses” the emotion upon which it hyperfocuses. So, 8-2-5 is what I call ‘externalized.’ That is, 8 ‘externalizes’ anger, 2 ‘externalizes’ shame and 5 ‘externalizes’ fear. (I’ll explain further in a moment.)

The second number in each triad “represses” the emotion that it’s hyperfocused upon. So, 9-3-6 attempt to repress their emotion. 9 ‘represses’ anger, 3 ‘represses’ shame, and 6 ‘ represses’ fear.

The third number in each triad “internalizes” the emotion that it’s hyperfocused upon. 1-4-7 attempt to internalize their emotion. 1 ‘internalizes’ anger, 4 ‘internalizes’ shame, and 7 ‘internalizes’ fear.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I got a look, that article never states a reason, just states "things as they are". Like literally "here how it works", shows an image saying "9 is anger", but it doesnt truly states why (and since its enneagram theres no research to skip the why part).

You have to define the types somehow. The anger/shame/fear triads are quite central to the theory pretty much wherever you read about it. Other triads get mentioned around the place too, but this internalise/externalise/repression thing has allowed me to make sense of the types in a way that I wasn't able to before. And as mentioned there has to be some basis for defining the types. I don't know if there is a more "pure" way to do it regarding to the overall definitions of the types, but this particular division is also common I think though not quite as well known.

So yes, in gist, to research it at all you need to define the types, and I'm choosing to define them as based on the above quoted section from the website.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
You have to define the types somehow. The anger/shame/fear triads are quite central to the theory pretty much wherever you read about it. Other triads get mentioned around the place too, but this internalise/externalise/repression thing has allowed me to make sense of the types in a way that I wasn't able to before. And as mentioned there has to be some basis for defining the types. I don't know if there is a more "pure" way to do it regarding to the overall definitions of the types, but this particular division is also common I think though not quite as well known.

So yes, in gist, to research it at all you need to define the types, and I'm choosing to define them as based on the above quoted section from the website.

You mean this emotional triad is in the center right on the definition of these types?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
You mean this emotional triad is in the center right on the definition of these types?

Types 8, 9, 1 = Anger
Types 2, 3, 4 = Shame
Types 5, 6, 7 = Fear

That's fundamental enneagram.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Well, for me Im completely aware at my anger and yeah, I have to suppress it although I would like to express it more. Yeah, I repressed, didnt know it was supposed to be a 9 thing, but Im completely aware of it.

However my anger dropped a lot more when I got aware that it was enviroments fault, I find peace inwards and usually dont find peace outwards but my outwards is not exactly a good enviroment.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
9w8 sx dom

What gets me is the not feeling or noticing anger thing. Or denying it.

Given my childhood of being yelled at a lot. Anger had been a way of communication unfortunately. Idk why people have to yell but yeah. So I do none of those. I don't deny it, i feel it, and I know it's there. If I'm being attacked emotionally. Feeling controlled. Unfairness. Or get yelled at(trauma). I dig my heels in and resist cuz it's not right and unjustified to me. So usually I'd be "screw it I'm not gonna roll over I'm gonna make it known that this is how I feel" because honestly I deserve to be heard. So I guess that's my 8 wing. But outside of disruptions or unhealthy mental states I ... am just peaceful and chill and really just disconnect and don't care about a lot of things. Because to care about a lot of stuff is exhausting. So I just go with the flow.

Reading that though I identify and relate: can get angry, would be more likely to stop the source of the anger, then quickly return to a state of tranquility. Pretty accurate. And must express it externally rather than internalizing it all. I think that's what it is for me at least, but it doesn't last long. If there's any prolonged emotional state it's due to my 4 moodiness than anything cuz something has upset those areas like shame, rejection, ect. Also the sx dom just all in all gives me an intensity I would assume.