• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ's enneagram

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
up until now i only looked through MBTI, but recently i learned some enneagram as well, and i came out as a 3w4, which resonates quite well with me, but i am curious to see what enneagram are my fellow INFJ's

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Hey , if I 6w4 existed that's what I'd be, I settle for 6 though, more paranoid than anything else I guess.:laugh:

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm a 7 and am from the school that a) all the instruments out there pick up too much "noise" from a person's type preferences and therefore don't get at the real Enneagram defense system and b) the wings really reflect that noise.

Helen Palmer, who sort of resurrected the Enneagram for modern times holds that a person really needs to listen to stories from people of each of the 9 Enneagram types to choose theirs. Her original book lets one do that vicariously. Pat Wyman, who teaches type/enneagram seminars, really concentrates on analyzing that defense mechanism. What do you hide behind when things get tough?

Pat actually worked with me to help me discover that the 7 defense system of optimism is my downfall. While optimism is a great thing, as a defense system it prevents action. Hey, everything will work out with my child/my job/this relationship, etc., so I don't have to do a thing. How convenient!!

So...does 3 describe the games you play to defend against life's problems? On every assessment I score higher on 3 too but I'm definitely 7.

The Breckenridge group defines the "tacit creeds" this way...

Type Two: I must be helpful
· Type Three: I must be excellent
· Type Four: I must be original
· Type Five: I must be an expert
· Type Six: I must be secure
· Type Seven: I must be enthusiastic
· Type Eight: I must be powerful
· Type Nine: I must be malleable
· Type One: I must be perfect

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm a 7 and am from the school that a) all the instruments out there pick up too much "noise" from a person's type preferences and therefore don't get at the real Enneagram defense system and b) the wings really reflect that noise.

Helen Palmer, who sort of resurrected the Enneagram for modern times holds that a person really needs to listen to stories from people of each of the 9 Enneagram types to choose theirs. Her original book lets one do that vicariously. Pat Wyman, who teaches type/enneagram seminars, really concentrates on analyzing that defense mechanism. What do you hide behind when things get tough?

Pat actually worked with me to help me discover that the 7 defense system of optimism is my downfall. While optimism is a great thing, as a defense system it prevents action. Hey, everything will work out with my child/my job/this relationship, etc., so I don't have to do a thing. How convenient!!

So...does 3 describe the games you play to defend against life's problems? On every assessment I score higher on 3 too but I'm definitely 7.

The Breckenridge group defines the "tacit creeds" this way...

Type Two: I must be helpful
· Type Three: I must be excellent
· Type Four: I must be original
· Type Five: I must be an expert
· Type Six: I must be secure
· Type Seven: I must be enthusiastic
· Type Eight: I must be powerful
· Type Nine: I must be malleable
· Type One: I must be perfect

thank you for the good post, it gave me a lot to think about
yes, when i read the 3 description it fitted me very well, i do play games when i want to avoid problems, and I do set up an image to resolve my problems, swaying the opinions of people is very easy for me, almost natural, but it is very tiring not being able to be my true self, it's like I am in a permanent game and I don't want to lose
what didnt fit in with me, was the need to be admired, what I do I do to please myself, other people's opinions rarely matter to me
what does to me however is when someone is trying to get to know me, its very gratifying, whether its a bad comment or a good comment i dont really care since i know who I am, and what I did to receive that comment, but the effort that the respective person did to get to know me is heartwarming(not a native english speaker so i hope u got my point :smile:)

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
I always test as a 5 on the enneagram, with my wing going either way (4 or 6) and it fits very well.

It may be somewhat unusual for a NF to test as 5, but i've seen others.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I always test as a 5 on the enneagram, with my wing going either way (4 or 6) and it fits very well.

It may be somewhat unusual for a NF to test as 5, but i've seen others.

Pat Wyman describes the 5 defense as "they want to keep their emotions, thoughts, knowledge adn lives to themselves. There is a basic fear that another person will gain access to these hidden parts of themselves and then the Five will no longer possess them. Fives want to fill themselves up with information and so go through life basically observing rather than participating in life." (Three Keys to Self Understanding, p. 67)

She also describes "The Enneagram Defense System is dedicated to protecting the child by providing a variety of techniques and skills to cope with a hostile world. As the child moves into adulthood the Enneagram Defense is still going strong, taking its duties seriously. And just like an immunie system that is in overdrive causing physical damage, the Enneagram defense can interfere with living a full life when it continues its all-out efforts long after its services cease to be helpful...[it] it is not gauging whe vigor with which it carries on its activities by chronological age. Rather it is monitoring the condition of the wounded inner Core Self as defined by the MBTI" (p. 72)

Thought about this way, why wouldn't a young NF, if in an environment that doesn't honor idealism, not develop the 5 Defense system by compiling knowledge to fit into a factual or theory-driven environment and keep their inner thoughts hidden?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to think I was a 4, but I'm now pretty sure I'm a 1. I just don't think 'need to be original' is my *prime* motivator. I see myself as being much more concerned with 'balancing myself' and not wanting to have any flaws. tee hee. (obviously I always will, but you know...the perfectionistic thing)

Werewolfen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
8w7 , I always come up an EIGHT when I take the Enneagram. Many times I've been called the strong silent type. Key Motivations: Want to be self-reliant, to prove their strength and resist weakness, to be important in their world, to dominate the environment, and to stay in control of their situation.

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thought about this way, why wouldn't a young NF, if in an environment that doesn't honor idealism, not develop the 5 Defense system by compiling knowledge to fit into a factual or theory-driven environment and keep their inner thoughts hidden?

Well said, that makes sense to me. My enviroment growing up certainly wasn't idealism friendly.

My father is a IXTJ and my mother is a very strong ISFJ.
They are great people, but didn't exactly encourage that sort of thing. I didn't really know many obvious NF's either.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm an INFJ who is a 1w2 sx/sp/so. Supposedly 1s don't have much of a "father figure"in their childhood, which fits me very well, my parents divorced when I was 4 and my step-dad was always more of a buddy and a confidant than a father. You could call me the typical idealistic preachy Liberal (Ralph Nader and Al Gore are both 1s).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
my INFJ said she is a 6.

I am convinced.

Probably w7, w5 could be aswell. Though I am pretty sure its w7

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I took the test weeks ago and it said I was either a type 3 or a type 5, but there was not enough information to tell for sure which was me.

I just took the test again and it says I am type 5. I read the type 3 description, that really isn't me, although I am amibitious in my career I'll admit (but only at the appropriate times), I really don't think type 3 is me.