12 Last

Thread: Am I an 8w9?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    638 sx/so

Default Am I an 8w9?

I always score as an 8, but...Hmmm....

- I'm described as having a usually subdued, intimidating, mysterious, calm demeanor. However, I can also be warmer, energetic and excitable. I am usually very guarded, but I love to find people who I can open up my to and reveal my warmer and softer side. I really tend to alternate between a tough, intimidating loner to energetic, warmer people person. This mostly stems from not wanting to depend on a social 'group' and to be seen as independent, in charge of my own self (I walk to my own drum). As someone who isn't the biggest guy, I usually assert myself by understanding body language that projects confidence and in charge-ness.

- I'm always questioning if what I do is confident and authoritative. I want people to respect me, even if it's more of a fearful, I'll leave you alone kind of respect. I'm not confrontational, but I can be aggressive and willing to punch if I feel attacked. I'd rather stand my ground and lose a fight, than to feel weak by rejecting conflict.

- I hate the thought of losing control, power, and being hopeless in the face of evil. I'm very protective of the people I love. If someone hurt my friend badly, I would go straight to them and beat the crap out of them.

- I have problems with anger. ''This jock is acting so cocky and I feel threatened, I just want to punch him!'' But at the same time, I don't like it, I do not feel comfortable with it, but more-so do it to maintain control.

- I question if I'm an 8, because I don't see myself as power hungry, always looking for conflict to get their way. I'm more of someone who likes to be calm but can blow up like a volcano if the right buttons are pushed.

Inactive For A Bit RadicalDoubt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    613 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ti

You sound as though you could potentially be an 8w9, however there's a couple of things in here that make me question that... It may be worth considering 9w8 even if you don't score super high on 9, you do sound fairly relaxed for an 8 core and also 8 is probably one of the more common mistypes. Same goes with cp6 core, as that type also focuses a lot of becoming and being very independent and has a more aggressive/assertive edge that can make it look a lot like 8 superficially. Nonetheless, I have a coupe of clarifying questions that may help you figure things out:

1) What is your relationship to the concept of vulnerability? What makes you feel vulnerable and how do you deal with such feelings if at all?

2) Describe your anger and how it manifests. Does it tend to be relatively defensive rather than offensive or can it go both ways? Would you ever say that your anger is primarily used to maintain boundaries and bring security rather than something that's worth indulging in often or does it mean more than that to you? How hard is your anger to control?

3)
    - I have problems with anger. ''This jock is acting so cocky and I feel threatened, I just want to punch him!'' But at the same time, I don't like it, I do not feel comfortable with it, but more-so do it to maintain control.
    Stupid question, the quote represents your own internal thought process, correct? What about anger makes you uncomfortable in particular? Under what circumstances would you quell your anger?

4) Have you ever been told that you have a large presence or tend to be very noticeable or perhaps are you more subdued and drifty [neither is also an option]? Do you ever find that people can become overwhelmed with you and your responses to things because they are larger than necessary or are perhaps too confrontational/speak your mind even when the rules of diplomacy suggest you probably should hold back a little?

Sorry for the relatively vague questions, the more info you provide the easier this should be. Honestly, my gut is telling me you might lean 9w8 over 8w9, but you didn't provide a ton of info to work with.
    - 6w5 1w9 3w4 - sp/so - INTP -
    “My deplorable mania for analysis exhausts me. I doubt everything, even my doubt.” Gustave Flaubert

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    638 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalDoubt View Post
    Nonetheless, I have a coupe of clarifying questions that may help you figure things out:
    Yeah....I'm not an 8. I'm leaning towards 3w4, cp 6w7, or 7w8. Let me know which ones you see!

) What is your relationship to the concept of vulnerability? What makes you feel vulnerable and how do you deal with such feelings if at all?
    With close loved ones, vulnerability is easy. It can sometimes even be a tool for me to use to get me closer or more well liked with someone (For example: ''Yeah, I suck at basketball and fell while trying to shoot a layup!''). However, I usually hate it. I feel that if most people know that I'm vulnerable that I'll be easier to attack and that I'll be dethroned by the social hierarchy. I battle with two sides of me. The side that needs to be in control and tough, and the side of me that wants to be warm and friendly. I want to be tough enough so people know not to mess with me, but also warm enough to get people to laugh and enjoy my presence. It's a weird double edged sword.

2) Describe your anger and how it manifests. Does it tend to be relatively defensive rather than offensive or can it go both ways? Would you ever say that your anger is primarily used to maintain boundaries and bring security rather than something that's worth indulging in often or does it mean more than that to you? How hard is your anger to control?
    It pretty much comes when I'm feeling threatened. When I perceive something as a threat, I worry and then react defensively. I'll give an example: Bully: I'll mess you up right now. Me: Your an ass, and a loser, you know that, buddy? *punches* . Memories of feeling weaker as a child come up and haunt me, and I feel my gut pushing me to be in charge and put the bully in their place. I do not indulge in anger for fun, it is a part that I'm ashamed of because of how uncontrollable I get, it's rage and it's unstoppable because it stems from fear.

What about anger makes you uncomfortable in particular? Under what circumstances would you quell your anger?
    Because if someone gives me enough reason to be angry then it means doomsday for the person who caused it. In a way, I enjoy being the justice bringer to someone I hate, and it gives me a feeling of chatoic justice because I become kind of a Punisher figure. I would rather be liked by others and have a good reputation, than to be hated for my anger, so if it's for a small thing, I'll let it go, but mess with my inner circle and my image is not on my mind.

Have you ever been told that you have a large presence or tend to be very noticeable or perhaps are you more subdued and drifty [neither is also an option]? Do you ever find that people can become overwhelmed with you and your responses to things because they are larger than necessary or are perhaps too confrontational/speak your mind even when the rules of diplomacy suggest you probably should hold back a little?
    Neither. People do find me intimidating, dark, a bit cocky but they also find me well humored and playful. I know it's a weird combination, but it's the best way I can describe it. I'm more protective than confrontational so to speak. I try to be the charismatic, adventurous lone wolf.

9w8 works, social-last. Too much self-questioning for an 8w9, as follows:

I'm always questioning if what I do is confident and authoritative.
    Denial in 8s means they aren't questioning themselves about their confidence and authority. They just, kind of, well, assume it.

Nines have core issues with self-doubt which leaves them in a state of self-questioning and seeking out mental re-assurances.

Stackemup Enneagram Description for Enneatype IX

Some peripheral matters:

Quote Originally Posted by Chase123 View Post
    I always score as an 8, but...Hmmm....
    Test scores mean little because tests are based largely on overly-generalized distinctions between types and answers which rely exclusively on self-reporting. Self-reporting is tainted by the ego which has an agenda of its own...as a general rule of thumb, the male ego has a propensity for mistyping as eight, the female ego has a propensity for mistyping as four.

- I'm described as having a usually subdued, intimidating, mysterious, calm demeanor.
    Those characteristics line up quite well to the 9w8's tough/contrarian-leisurely gestalt.

Furthermore, given the nine issue with inner clarity, reliance on others' descriptions of self is a hallmark of the nine approach to self-typing.

However, I can also be warmer, energetic and excitable.
    That's folded into 9w8's alliance-building.

I am usually very guarded,
    Eights have an aggressive gestalt, so 'to fend off' is not part of the action set.

Fending off and guarding fits best with the six's self-protective gestalt.

However, you're too kinesthetically relaxed for the self-protective gestalt.

This is best accounted for through the nine's disintegration point (type 6).

but I love to find people who I can open up my to and reveal my warmer and softer side.
    Eights are out of touch with vulnerability and an all-aggressive personality style, so the jekyll and hyde-like split you're presenting with strongly points away from 8.

I really tend to alternate between a tough, intimidating loner to energetic, warmer people person.
    I've defined the 9w8's gestalt as the tough/contrarian-leisurely gestalt.

This mostly stems from not wanting to depend on a social 'group' and to be seen as independent, in charge of my own self (I walk to my own drum).
    That's part and parcel to the 9w8's contrarian style (who I also nickname "the sheriff"). Also, some social last.

I'm not confrontational,
    So that just reinforces the need to exclude 8-1-6 aggressive triad from consideration.

but I can be aggressive and willing to punch if I feel attacked. I'd rather stand my ground and lose a fight, than to feel weak by rejecting conflict.
    I have typed and organized nearly 3000 people into nine core types, with wing and stacking, and I can tell you there is no enneagram type whose fixation precludes them from punching somebody in retaliation for an attack. On top of it, you're a guy.

- I hate the thought of losing control, power, and being hopeless in the face of evil. I'm very protective of the people I love. If someone hurt my friend badly, I would go straight to them and beat the crap out of them.
    I have defined protectiveness as a core marker for 9w8.

I have problems with anger. ''This jock is acting so cocky and I feel threatened, I just want to punch him!'' But at the same time, I don't like it, I do not feel comfortable with it, but more-so do it to maintain control.
    Type 8 is an all-aggressive personality style, so typically low in social charisma. Moreover, eights are very comfortable with being ruthless and aggressive, especially when it comes to bending others to their will.

I question if I'm an 8,
    Eights don't question if they are eights to this extent. They get their type right away.

because I don't see myself as power hungry, always looking for conflict to get their way. I'm more of someone who likes to be calm but can blow up like a volcano if the right buttons are pushed.
    That reinforces the need to exclude 3-7-8 assertive triad (pushing one's self to the front of the line) from consideration.

Having already addressed your "always self-questioning," the remainder sounds like the passive-aggressive style of 9w8, not the strategic aggression of 8...you're leaving others to walk on eggshells and provoking the environment into having to manage/control your reactions. Remember, nines have a distintegration to type six, so can display some hot-headedness. Keep in mind that anger and aggression are not necessarily the same...the eight temperament typically rises to positions of leadership and competes with confidence in the cut-throat rough and tumble. Part of this pertains to an ability for self-command (eights like to feel masterful in their exercise of power).
    Click here for my 2500+ Enneagram Type List to type yourself and others with. It's the only valid breakdown for every enneagram type, wing and stack.

Click here for the only valid visual typing model of stackings on earth and socionics.
    Click here for enneagram type descriptions as a supplement to the only valid breakdown for every type, wing and stack.
    Click here for my typings of 100+ fictional exemplars and here for my typings of 90+ typology central members.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    638 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb1 View Post
    9w8 works, social-last.
    I'm seeing it as well.

Edit: I'm torn between 7w8, 6w7, 3w4 and 9w8. Shit, my self perception is absolutely non-existent.

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I'm not convinced you aren't a 6 and I've seen evidence for that in some of your other posts.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    638 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    I'm not convinced you aren't a 6 and I've seen evidence for that in some of your other posts.
    Interesting, explain, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase123 View Post
    Interesting, explain, please.
    I'd have to go through your stuff more thoroughly in order to do so (which to be honest, I'm not going to do because I can't even do half the stuff I say I am going to do). I'm just saying that from what I have seen of you, I wouldn't rule it out yet.
    Perpetual mood

Philip Trussell

You also said you could be confrontational in another thread, for what it's worth.
    Perpetual mood

Philip Trussell

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    638 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    You also said you could be confrontational in another thread, for what it's worth.
    Could I even be a 3?