• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Why do people mistype as 4 Sx when the descriptions sound so awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I think "competitive suffering" is being interpreted far too literally. Just because a 4 may be suffering intensely does not mean it is in any way exaggerated to compete with others. Quote the contrary... 4s deeply understand suffering as a universal experience and something that cannot be defined or understood by anyone but the sufferer. Less than seeking attention or some "award" for suffering, a 4 craves someone in the crowd hearing them and truly understanding and seeing them, beyond whatever it is that they perceive about themselves to be defective.

Most 4s aren't actively competitive. It is an inactive type that at average to lower health levels (most people) is unable to act upon their desires and instead turns inward into an emotional landscape where they may explore and analyze their own feelings and subjective experience. It is here that they may "compete", imagining that they have what it is that others have that they don't. Social 4s may imagine recognition or fame, for example.

If a 4 is communicating pain, it's probably actually far worse internally than it seems externally because 4s want people to come to them, to their rescue. While they are transparent, they are deeply ashamed about certain things. They may hint at these shameful feelings, testing others to see who accepts and understands them basically.

Outright competition over suffering is an odd concept to me. I don't think getting stuck in one's own heaviness is a form of competition. If anything, it's like wearing blinders and being unable to see whatever isn't directly in front of oneself (like rumination basically). If someone is truly competing over suffering, there is something going on that goes beyond ennea-type.

Anyway, I don't want to get into it more for obvious reasons but it's been bothering me that this concept of competition over suffering has been such a focus as of late, and misrepresented beyond anything that represents the type at all.

People are human. Suffering is human. One can never know the suffering of another. It's really quite silly to compete over something so serious, significant, and painful.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The way you laid it out, you have me questioning my own enneatype now.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In answer to the OP, special snowflake + passion/intensity is attractive I guess.

For ones that are accurate, all enneagram descriptions that match us are kind of horrifying at first.

When I thought I was an 8 it's because I took several tests and it kept saying that. It could be part of the problem is the tests aren't very good.

Beatrice Chestnut's book has some excellent descriptions on the 4 mistypes and why they might occur. I don't think it gets into instincts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.