User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venus Rose View Post
    You can see it as you wish I guess. I don't know if that really is the case, as the people I have encountered are happy to be honest.
    I haven't interrogated all sx 4s I have come across, even online, to determine whether or not they are that type...but then I haven't encountered a high amount of them to begin with.

That's true.

All e-types are "universally relatable" to some and it seems like it takes some digging to find out your core motivations.
    I'm not going to argue with you.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    🐼 Fi

Quote Originally Posted by The Tsarevich View Post

That was when I first came here. It was around the same time that I purchased a shit ton of books and started reading. (I literally bought them so I could out-argue people who were still DEMANDING that I be a 6.) Deeper reading yielded more accurate results. I was happy to change my type and begin the very real business of actual inner work.

PPS. Also the sx4 descriptions DO explain a fair amount about me--hatefulness, angry envy, competition, insecurities about my own desirability, obsessions, acts of revenge, over-the-top emotional vomit at times. I own that. And I don't think it's nearly as bad as any one of the 8 descriptions on any single day ever (and often, 8s themselves).

PPPS. I hope that was a serious question and not something else. I treated it seriously loool.
    I would love, love, love to know which descriptions or books/resources you like/trust most on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    You're right. They only apply to the sexual 4.

For all intents and purposes, this thread will be referring to sexual 4s in the average to low health levels. Also, I was by no means summarizing the type in those few words.

If you don't personally relate to those descriptors though, then you probably are either not being honest with yourself, or are not a sexual 4.
    Aye, the description from Chestnut's book on 4sx is taken from Narajno and supposedly an attempt at connecting enneagram and the lowest levels of health.

So I am completely sure I am an sx dom. Sx is where I experience the most pain, the area of supreme focus, it's not as easy as the others, even though it's more important in some ways.

And it's been really difficult to figure out my core type. 9? Probably. 4? Could very well be. I relate to so much of what is out there about 4s, but so much of it is supposedly not accurate? It's an inaccurate feedback loop where people who've mistyped as 4s put out new information that causes more people to mistype who put out more inaccurate information... At this point, I feel really discouraged because I would like to settle into a type and look more deeply at it, rather than try to figure out whether it's this one or that one.
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶2w1✶X✶5w6⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ *
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦
    Likes The Tsarevich liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Aye, the description from Chestnut's book on 4sx is taken from Narajno and supposedly an attempt at connecting enneagram and the lowest levels of health.

You're cute when you 9.

But really, I don't wanna get all petty and shitty in this thread. As most people here know, I typed as sexual 4 for awhile, and I honestly still consider it (don't let your ego block you from alternate possibilities). The thing is that 4 Sx never seemed appealing to me, even when I typed as one. And I am not going from one or two or even three descriptions of the type. I read everything I can get my hands on and try to assimilate the info into a grander understanding of the archetype.

I started this thread because I am genuinely curious as to why people who aren't sexual 4s are drawn to the type, in their own words. Although I am drawn to being "different", as apparently most people are (), I was not drawn to the inferiority/superiority conflict in 4s, and the fiery nature of sexual 4s, and that is because I saw it in myself, to a degree that I am still uncomfortable discussing here, despite my relative openness with all the other ugly bits of myself.
    Perpetual mood

Philip Trussell

Likes Luminous, The Tsarevich liked this post

Give me a fourth dot. The Tsarevich's Avatar
    MBTI
    NeTi
    Enneagram
    478 sx/sp
    Socionics
    :-( None

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    I would love, love, love to know which descriptions or books/resources you like/trust most on this.
    To be perfectly honest, none. The subtype descriptions capture the emotional timbre of a given archetype, but tell us little about how the core and type actually intersect; they tell us very little about what's really going on "beneath the hood" as it were--motivations, mechanisms, associated triggers, etc. You'd essentially be typing yourself based on adjectives and behaviours, and so I favour a deeper approach. I personally feel the important thing is to look at the fixation of the core type and then the neurosis of the instinct itself, then examine what it means to have that particular intersection of patterns.

Maybe one day there will be an in-depth book on the instincts--either the instincts themselves, or the subtypes. Currently Chestnut's book is the closest we have in terms of "descriptions". Again, however, I disagree with her approach, and strongly suspect that they are cut-and-pasted private translations of Naranjo. I wouldn't know my subtype reading these descriptions--or a lot of people's. It's a good primer as to what the archetypes actually are, but it needs to be understood with care and discernment.

Riso and Hudson have relatively decent blurbs in Wisdom in which they try to describe how the instinct affects the fixation. The Fauvres and Tom Condon have useful bullet-pointed lists based on their research (I like the Fauvres' approach in general which essentially argues what I'm saying in this response). Naranjo's works and lectures themselves say quite a lot. All this stuff is readily accessible online.

But again, I don't agree with typing according to this approach. These archetypes might be good for advanced understanding and a few paragraphs of self-reflection, and I think there's something to them (for more patterns associated with the core, if nothing else), but it can sow a lot more confusion that clarity imo. Just speaking for myself personally, I've gotten a lot more out of just examining my core and instinct and watching how the defenses work, in what areas, and what the reactions are. I referenced sx4 descriptions mainly to demonstrate that there was more than one reason why this typing seemed plausible for me.

I'd say read everything you can from a wide variety of sources and start building your own internal database on it--deciding what's true in your experience and what isn't.
    *Need enneagram questionnaire?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post2218641
    Likes Peter Deadpan, Luminous liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I'm not sure what my type is, but I can really relate to a lot of the descriptions in this thread of sx4.

When I saw the part about revenge I thought, "Oh, yes, let's talk more about this." And I started tapping my fingers together like Mr. Burns. More aspects than just that obviously, but it really jumped out.

I realize some of the parts of this type are really unattractive, but that makes a lot of sense for me. I have a really ugly side.
    ”Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
    Likes Novella liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

self-awareness of one's own flaws?
    “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris View Post
    self-awareness of one's own flaws?
    A simple answer but logical. I get it.

(It would help if 4 descriptions were more accurate)
    Perpetual mood

Philip Trussell

Quote Originally Posted by mgbradsh View Post
    I'm not sure what my type is, but I can really relate to a lot of the descriptions in this thread of sx4.

When I saw the part about revenge I thought, "Oh, yes, let's talk more about this." And I started tapping my fingers together like Mr. Burns. More aspects than just that obviously, but it really jumped out.

I realize some of the parts of this type are really unattractive, but that makes a lot of sense for me. I have a really ugly side.
    I just wanna throw something out about enneatype 9: 9s are one of the types to have revenge or violent fantasies (a theme for all withdrawn types, in their own way). The thing with 9s is that they are a body/gut (action/doing) type, but their thing is that they are slothful, so they don't actually act on their internal motivations. This is why they can have such rich inner worlds and are the stereotypical fantasy type. If they keep all of their desires to themselves, then they never have to face discord in the external world for their actions.

Just food for thought, I do not know your enneatype.
    Perpetual mood

Philip Trussell

Likes Chaotic Symphony liked this post

MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp
    Socionics
    🐼 Fi

I'm going to copy what I said over in TrueSelf Tritype and IV Test
    having melancholy, intense, compassionate, sensitive, introspective, intuitive, deep, find meaning in depth, aesthetic, individualistic, complex for 4, and easy-going, ease, calm, stable, everything will be okay, no worries for 9 means that anyone who has great depth of feeling, has experienced a lot of depression, etc, are not going to pick the 9 cards over 4. There's too much emphasis on feeling, rather than motivation. Peace-seeking is a good one for 9, because it's focused on motivation, rather than feeling. I am likely a 9, but over the course of life, in general (which is how it says to answer the questions), I have not been at ease, calm, stable, had no worries, or an attitude that everything will be okay. Did I want those things? Yes!
    I think it would make sense that people who experience a lot of intense emotions, especially negative emotions, would be likely to possibly mistype because it would help to explain it all, and possibly make their pain seem more meaningful. Which is also why it can feel so insulting and dismissive to have it questioned; it's like having their pain questioned, having their experiences denied, having their vulnerability dismissed.
    ✦ᏖᏒᎥᎮ ค ℓιɬɬℓɛ Ꮭıɠɧɬ ʄคŋɬคʂɬıƈ✦ -: ✦ :- ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ❋-: ✦ :-★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    * ・゚ ・゚ * ⊱9w1✶S✶2w1✶X✶5w6⊰ * ・゚ ・゚ *
    ✦Շђєяє คяє ๓σяє тнιηﻭѕ ιη нєανєη αη∂ єαятн Շђαη คяє ∂яєαмт σƒ ιη уσυя ρнιℓσѕσρну.✦

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4W5

Amberiat, assumptions abound. You need to review your sign off signature, it's contradicting your message.
    Meh, be who you want to be and I'll be who I want to be. No point in fighting over petty transgressions.
    Likes The Tsarevich liked this post