User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

  1. #1
    Pansexual Primadonna ThoughtBubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so
    Posts
    328

    Default Enneagram Money Habits Article


  2. #2
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    11,469

    Default

    “If you don’t take control of your relationship with money, it will take control of you.”

    I think that's very accurate, not only for 8's where I found this quote but for all types. For 8's I can see money being a difficulty because it can be seen as a "control" mechanism. But it's not and doesn't have to feel that way. I'm glad I got over my negative money issues a long time ago and when you're in a relationship it better be a working relationship when it comes to money or it will likely become a problem. Another issue is secrecy with money and money matters. Not just in a relationship but with children and teaching them to have a healthy view of finances and how to handle money.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Zhaylin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SEI Fe
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Very interesting.
    "... I began doing what most all unhealthy 9’s: I sank into my turtle shell and ignored it.”

    rofl. That is SO true of most things in my life. I have a really awesome ability to tune things out to an incredible degree

    I used to absolutely LOVE a show called Monk. He had severe OCD. One day, his assistant rescued a monkey that was going to be "put down". She stole the monkey and hid it at her bosses house (the one with OCD).
    The camera showed him walking through his home, with a happy/sort of disconnected look on his face. He was going through all his usual motions... then you notice the condition of the house- pictures sideways on the wall or on the floor, trash everywhere, food strewn about, the monkey dangling on a kitchen cabinet
    Seeing that hit me HARD. I burst out laughing and exclaiming "that's ME!!!".

    Thanks for the link. Great article.

  4. #4
    Junior Member NatureChaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Not a core One, not even in my tritype, but I relate to this from Ones the most

    “I’ve taken on the sense that money can really be a tool for positive things: freedom, choices, independence, adventure, and positive impact in the world.”

    “If I’m going to spend money on something — like going out for dinner or clothes or coffee — I will only spend it on something I REALLY want. I won’t spend it on something that’s part-way satisfying.”

    “I judge myself for money behaviors. I always think I’m behind where I ‘should’ be and that my friends are better off and have done it right, and I haven’t. I always think I should be saving more, investing better, etc.”

    I'm a One when it comes to money then. I don't really relate to Six on the article. It's fine anyway because at least I'm not a core One.
    6w7 9w? 4w5

  5. #5
    ƃuıǝǝs | seeing Snow as White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Posts
    501

    Default

    I am so terrible about letting my emotions sway purchases. My bf is much better at being able to compartmentalize himself with money things and has set up a russian doll set up of nesting protective checks so that he doesn't spend more than he wants to... whereas I seem to fly primarily by the ass of my seat and the whim of the moment.

    me: i am going to stick to my budget this month.
    also me: this item is so beautiful i must have it.
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

  6. #6
    Senior Member ceecee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    11,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NatureChaser View Post
    Not a core One, not even in my tritype, but I relate to this from Ones the most

    “I’ve taken on the sense that money can really be a tool for positive things: freedom, choices, independence, adventure, and positive impact in the world.”

    “If I’m going to spend money on something — like going out for dinner or clothes or coffee — I will only spend it on something I REALLY want. I won’t spend it on something that’s part-way satisfying.”

    “I judge myself for money behaviors. I always think I’m behind where I ‘should’ be and that my friends are better off and have done it right, and I haven’t. I always think I should be saving more, investing better, etc.”

    I'm a One when it comes to money then. I don't really relate to Six on the article. It's fine anyway because at least I'm not a core One.
    The only person I know that is a 1 and how they felt about money was that he was really terrified of it, so he ignored it. I don't know if it was because he couldn't do it perfectly, like the article says or had a traumatic experience but it was fairly unhealthy.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

  7. #7
    Liberator Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    24,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow as White View Post
    I am so terrible about letting my emotions sway purchases. My bf is much better at being able to compartmentalize himself with money things and has set up a russian doll set up of nesting protective checks so that he doesn't spend more than he wants to... whereas I seem to fly primarily by the ass of my seat and the whim of the moment.

    me: i am going to stick to my budget this month.
    also me: this item is so beautiful i must have it.
    Have you tried the delaying tactic approach? As in: give yourself a waiting period, anything from 24 hours to a week or so, and if you still feel that way, then buy it. This can give at least the most transient emotional reactions time to dissipate or be tempered by other considerations, without feeling like an outright denial to yourself.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #8
    ƃuıǝǝs | seeing Snow as White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Have you tried the delaying tactic approach? As in: give yourself a waiting period, anything from 24 hours to a week or so, and if you still feel that way, then buy it. This can give at least the most transient emotional reactions time to dissipate or be tempered by other considerations, without feeling like an outright denial to yourself.
    I actually do try to employ this and I have semi success with it... it's almost like the more certain I am going to buy something the more ok I am with putting it off. Whereas smaller things it's harder to say no to in the moment of "oh i must have you."

    my main issue is Amazon really. The joy of discovery plus the joy of anticipation plus the joy of getting the item = too much to say no to.

    I've been trying to do more visualizations this year with visualizing my goals. That helps somewhat... but when I am stressed I fall back into my comfortable bad habitry.

Similar Threads

  1. [Enneagram] The Enneagram - Understanding Yourself and Others in Your Life (Helen Palmer)
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
  2. [Enneagram] The Wisdom of the Enneagram (Riso and Hudson)
    By highlander in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2014, 09:11 AM
  3. The Enneagram and Money
    By highlander in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 06:36 PM
  4. Interesting article about MBTI and Enneagram relation
    By Chloe in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 03:11 AM
  5. Temperament and money habits in practice...
    By The Ü™ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO