User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    952 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI Si

Excellent thread! I wish I had read the entire thing sooner.

I have no doubt I'm an INFP (though high in sensing) 9w1 sp/so. What confuses the daylights out of me are the tritypes.

I need peace first and foremost, so I tend to isolate myself to an extreme. I loathe chaos and negative emotions or strong emotional displays. I read people and my environment, so I'm fairly vigilant. I don't notice a lot of stationary stuff (everything in a room, for instance) and my memory is absolutely crap (so don't ask me if the third person I saw was happy or sad lol). I do notice people though, and when I notice conflict (fights, tears or an inability to get something off a shelf), I'm compelled to help. I would rather not, though, because then they want to talk or thank me or .... too many variables.

Helping, is what, a 2? But helping (being nice) isn't what motivates me. Disruption of peace does... so, I guess, conflict (in it's many forms) causes some degree of anxiety for me.
    Likewise, I choose sp before so because, while I can be fairly social and extremely pleasant; again, it's not because I get something out of socializing, be pleasant just minimizes conflict.

I settled on tritype 945 because, out of everything I've read, it just fit the best... but even then, not quite. I'm not brainy enough or aloof enough.

On PsyTypes, I scored 51 on 9 lol. My next highest numbers were 2 (27), 4 (25), 5 (25). For a complete picture, 1=11; 3=4; 6=17; 7=11; 8=0.

Of all the fears and motivations, the only ones that really fit are 5 (not secretive), 6 (not suspicious), and 9 (not the fear though) (Type Descriptions — The Enneagram Institute )

So, like I said: all kinds of confusing rofl

Quote Originally Posted by robobot14 View Post
    I'm a bit curious about something. I've been told that enneagram is about motivation more than traits. So what if your traits go against your type, but not your motivations? On here I got typed as 7, although some people said 9. But I don't really relate to being spotaneous, very extroverted, optimistic, and bubbly. It could easily be a stereotype, but still. I definitely can be goofy and playful, but I'm also quiet, introspective, compromising and mellow like a 9. I just like variety, learning lots, experience and exploring the unique like a 7. I care a lot about peace too though.

Any insights I guess?
    It's entirely about motivations.

No matter what you do there's always an underlying motive behind it, sometimes obvious and other times not so obvious. And that is what really matters, deciding your enneagram based on traits/behaviors is a mistake, you have to look at the why instead of the what.

Sometimes behaviors and motives can contradict one another, for example two people can do the same thing but for entirely different reasons, which is why you look at the motivation behind actions instead of actions themselves.

Imagine, two people donate to charity, one does it because they want to help the cause, the other does it because they want to project the image of caring about the cause in order to be viewed favorably by other people. Two identical actions, extremely different motivations behind them.
    Johari | Nohari

Moving forward, put aside all unnecessary preconceptions, eliminate all biases, analyze all the facts without letting external influences cloud your better judgement and put together a coherent picture of the truth like a jigsaw puzzle, you have the pieces you need, the only thing left to do is to learn how to put them together properly.
    Likes Luminous, Zhaylin liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Amberiat View Post
    It's entirely about motivations. No matter what you do there's always an underlying motive behind it, sometimes obvious and other times not so obvious. And that is what really matters, deciding your enneagram based on traits/behaviors is a mistake, you have to look at the why instead of the what. Sometimes behaviors and motives can contradict one another, for example two people can do the same thing but for entirely different reasons, which is why you look at the motivation behind actions instead of actions themselves. Imagine, two people donate to charity, one does it because they want to help the cause, the other does it because they want to project the image of caring about the cause in order to be viewed favorably by other people. Two identical actions, extremely different motivations behind them.
    I disagree. It's true that some behaviors are poor indicators of type and that we should look into the why and not just the what, but that doesn't mean that motivations are the right place to look into - if anything, the facts say otherwise. The motivations don't create the personality, the personality tends to result in the kinds of outlooks that get assigned to Enneagram types. And even tgen, any particular pile of exemplars is more alike in character rather than motivation, and two people can have the same motivation for something yet be very different in character. (see page 3 for a longer, more detailed explanation)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    I disagree. It's true that some behaviors are poor indicators of type and that we should look into the why and not just the what, but that doesn't mean that motivations are the right place to look into - if anything, the facts say otherwise. The motivations don't create the personality, the personality tends to result in the kinds of outlooks that get assigned to Enneagram types. And even tgen, any particular pile of exemplars is more alike in character rather than motivation, and two people can have the same motivation for something yet be very different in character. (see page 3 for a longer, more detailed explanation)
    Motivations indeed do not create personality, but they make better indicators of it than behaviors, and not just motivations. One's internal thought processes, priorities, values, and even world view are more telling than, say, whether one shows respect to authorities, is constantly late for meetings, or enjoys playing sports with friends.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Motivations indeed do not create personality, but they make better indicators of it than behaviors, and not just motivations. One's internal thought processes, priorities, values, and even world view are more telling than, say, whether one shows respect to authorities, is constantly late for meetings, or enjoys playing sports with friends.
    Whether behavior is a good indicator or not really depends on what behavior you're looking at: Traits (persistent patterns of feeling, thinking and behaving) are great, situational adaptations typically are not. Donating to charity isn't a terribly good indicator, but general politeness and being late for meetings are excellent ones. They aren't enough alone but are very, very good typing material since they're persistent reflections of the person's character at the trait level. How trait-level personality easily explains Enneagram styles.
    Likes Zhaylin liked this post

MBTI
    iNtP
    Enneagram
    954 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ili Ni

motivations are important, but fears are more telling... the traits are (sometimes useful) stereotypes, and shouldn't be taken any more seriously than other stereotypes...
    "Every one interprets everything in terms of his own experience. If you say anything which does not touch a precisely similar spot in another man's brain, he either misunderstands you, or doesn't understand you at all."

"Whether you experience heaven or hell, remember that it is your mind which creates them."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    Whether behavior is a good indicator or not really depends on what behavior you're looking at: Traits (persistent patterns of feeling, thinking and behaving) are great, situational adaptations typically are not. Donating to charity isn't a terribly good indicator, but general politeness and being late for meetings are excellent ones. They aren't enough alone but are very, very good typing material since they're persistent reflections of the person's character at the trait level. How trait-level personality easily explains Enneagram styles.
    I can easily think of reasons why either behavior can relate to almost any type. Same with the reverse of being rude, and being punctual. Now tell me why the person is polite/rude, or punctual/tardy, and I can come much closer to the mark.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...