• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Enneagram Correlation to Big Five Study

Jordan Peterson

Hey everyone,

I'm currently a college student who is interested in psychology and personality. A buddy of mine who is majoring in psychology put together a Big Five test as part of research for our school. We're trying to pinpoint what correlations might exist between the Enneagram constructs and Big Five traits. I've provided a link to the test at the end of this post and we encourage you all to take it. After we've received a sufficient amount of responses, we'll crunch the numbers and get back to you with our findings :)

Happy test taking!

Enneagram Constructs and Big Five Aspect Scales

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I found this image of Jordan Petsron debating Slavoj Zizek.

Can you VI him?

Tomb1

It's a hard correlation to make, because the Big Five is just so bland. The best stuff today is found more out on the fringes of mainstream psychology (personality theory)...like most things. The DSM is the easiest correlation to make with the Enneagram but the DSM classifications don't have much meat on it (though it at least looks more like a classification of personality styles than the Big Five).

The Enneagram and MBTI/Socionics (Jung) are the most powerful typologies in so far as explanatory/predictability power goes when used in combination. You don't come out with too many loose ends. The Big Five is too bland and general to, say, adequately account for Napoleon's contradictions, maneuvers, drives, obsessions, talents, weaknesses, layers. The enneagram and socionics do a great job of it.

Keep in mind that validation in personality/cognition theory comes about primarily through clinical data. The DSM disorders haven't been validated by any scientifically designed cause-effect experiment but are derived from clinical data. This is the nature of the beast in social science and a point conveniently skipped over by the author of "personality brokers" -- a book which through horrid reasoning and yellow journalism amusingly tries to turn the MBTI into the scandal of the century.

As far as science validating the enneagram through some cause-effect experiment, the first problem is the effect that experiments have on people's behavior when they know they are part of an experiment. The only real way to successfully run a cause-effect experiment is to make it so the participants don't know that an experiment is going on. Of course, those type of experiments are no longer sanctioned by governing bodies because they are considered to usurp the individual's freedom of choice. Skinner's arguments of utility are no longer considered acceptable, so Harvard has changed its tune from its approach in the fifties/sixties (50s/60s) when ethical oversight was not really a thing. The other problem is that the scientists running the experiment likely won't know their ass from his elbow about the Enneagram well enough to run such an experiment.

Last edited:

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Done.
I'm interested to see where the study takes y'all.

Venus Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You might want to look at my post here, but I will also fill out the survey.

tony_goth

Pseudo-delusional Rebel
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
For me it's something like this :

O : 378 low, 459 high ; sp low, sx high
C : 378 high, 459 low
E : 456 low, 237 high ; sp low, sx high
A : 468 low, 279 high
N : 468 high, 279 low

But these need to be studied more deeply.

I'm 4sx and I have : average-high O, average-low C, average-high E, very low A, very high N. I think.

Anyway, I've just done the test.

Evelina

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting... Curious what you'll find. I first did the big five test just a few months ago and thought it was very "meh" but has since then come to change my mind on that as someone talked about more using it to see what area in your life you might want to work on rather than the "true self" or whatever, which I guess is my usual focus.