• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Why enneagram 6 is nonsense:

JihadiJohn

Permabanned
1. You can relate to the description completely or not at all and still be a 6, or you can fall anywhere in the middle of two extremes. Since E6 has aspects of phobic and counter-phobic.

2. It's really just the fight or flight response, something everyone has.

3. You may not be anxious, anxiety may not run your life. But apparently some 6s are unaware that they're anxious. No way to prove or disprove this. It's as baseless as "internalized misogyny".

4. I've met sixes who don't relate to it much, it just seems to be an all encompassing type. A safety net if no type really fits you.

5. They're supposed to be oriented to authority and groups, support and guidance. But many so called sixes outright reject these things or it's not something they care about or think about.

6. It has a negative connotation. They're viewed as inferior or posers when they're just being themselves. What I mean is people are typed as 6 if they're a pseudo-intellectual (fake 5) or a wannabe tough guy (fake 8). They can't be the real deal, if they are then they're not 6s.

7. They're treated and talked about basically like they're the enneagram 8s b*tch. It's like, don't stand up to an 8, cause even if you're right you're wrong. Cause they're an 8, you're a 6 and you will rightfully be owned. It seems this way with every type challenging an 8 but especially with 6s.

I believe if you look for support and guidance and the like then you are a 6, if that's your motivation in life. But being opposed to it or outright indifferent to it shouldn't mean you're a 6. Apply the logic used on 6 to any other type. A 5 that rejects knowledge and isn't afraid to engage with the outside world. Would they be a 5? Same with other types. So why is 6 all-encompassing when other types aren't?

bundleofsunshine

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get why they're so touchy online... It's very odd when a T is a 6 unless they're an xSTJ which fits more like a glove.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
It's amusing that a person proclaiming loud and proud, 5 to 10 reasons they are NOT an e6, got permabanned.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's amusing that a person proclaiming loud and proud, 5 to 10 reasons they are NOT an e6, got permabanned.

The OP wasn't listing reasons they're not a 6. They were listing reasons 6 isn't a legit type in general.

deathwarmedup

MBTI Type
IXTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Six is not an all-encompassing type any more than any other is. It usually soon becomes clear when someone does not have the Six fixation. Six is the most existential fixation, caught in a limbo created by an estrangement from a grounded sense of being and an endless attempt to substitute for this with an intellectual orientation that doesn't ultimately trust in its own conclusions. How an individual Six relates to that sense of estrangement varies from direct philosophy to subconsciously motivated behaviours that are effectively "metaphors" for touching base with that bodily sense of groundedness they crave ("support", "certainty" and so on).

It's the myriad "metaphors" that arise from that most abstract of dilemmas which exclusively occupies type Six (at whatever level of awareness) that accounts for the wide expression.

Icedream

Absurdus Malum
MBTI Type
ENFJ
what's this? A butthurt 8 addressing confused 6's?

VeeK

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
As an 8, I resent the assertion that 8s look down on 6s. My best friend is a 6. I value their input; they tend to notice problems that I would otherwise overlook. Also, they are loyal. 8s value loyalty and consistency. I'm sure there are many 8s that look down on 6s, but that's definitely not a rule.

Also, the reason 6s may seem like such an all-encompassing type is that Western society (specifically America) values 6-like characteristics, such as being courageous, loyal, defying a flawed authority, desiring support, being security-conscious, etc. ((It's worth noting that American society also encourages 3-like characteristics))

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Truth be told, I suspect the OP was written tongue-in-cheek, pointing out all the flawed reasoning behind people typing each other as 6 on enneagram forums.

It would have been better to put this on Personality Café a few years ago.

I was one of the people who actually typed as 6, specifically for these reasons: I didn't know my type, which (in the minds of some) inherently makes you a 6. I didn't relate to existential anxiety, but not all 6s are aware of it. I felt angry a lot, so that was me reacting to the anxiety I didn't know I had. I couldn't "prove" I didn't have anxiety, and the need for "proof" proves you're a 6 anyway. (You literally can't argue your way out of it!!) I wasn't self-aware enough to be a 4, positive enough to be a 7, strong enough to be an 8...I was just stuck with what was left over: Type 6. Because, more than a courageous type that questions and doubts the nature of our existence, it was seen as some semi-formed "left-over" type that it was a disgrace to be.

Sure, 6 was an alright thing to consider, but what shocked me was how everyone just bought this line of reasoning wholesale, and when I finally told everyone it was a bunch of bull, they tried to insist I was just a 6 "who couldn't admit it". Despite the fact that I'd typed that way for about 18 months.

I didn't wanna be called a wannabe for expressing my innermost feelings. So I expended lots of words on superficial shit, and never once explained my inner workings. And it seemed like most people were too moronic to actually understand that. I got stupider on those forums. What a mindfuck. So I came here, and I don't regret that.

So, I appreciate the OP. It captures everything that's retarded about the online conception of 6.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate enneagram the way big 5 lovers hate mbti

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
#1 has been a troubling aspect of it for sure, the universality of phobic/counter-phobic is real

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Six isn't a "bullshit" type but I agree that it's silly that people who don't fit the profile would consider themselves Sixes.