• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 5] Stackemup Enneagram Description For Enneatype V

Tomb1

Type Five

Fives are a shy, introverted, unconventional, and detached type. Their fixation is pitted in the head center where they spend an excessive amount of time in the mental realm out of a fear that they don't have enough inner resources to deal with the world. The five's main passion is avarice. Fives collect and withhold information and withhold themselves outwardly in order to focus their energy on building up and preserving their inner life, conserving their energy in the anticipation they will need it to confidently deal with fluke circumstances.

Fives are self-sufficient. They don’t like to be a burden on others and have little difficulty solving their own problems. Since fives don’t need to include other people into their problems, fives prefer that neither side intrude on the other. Some fives expect this to be intuitively understood and that others not need fives and the fives will take care of their own needs. Fives may like to be there in a way that family or friends want, but often find the demands too much. Fives just can’t deliver the relatability that people usually want from them. They often don't engage well in the give and take of relationships as a result of the fives' withholding.

Fives are indifferent. Fives can often be experienced by others as insensitive to relationships whereas the five simply doesn't gain much satisfaction from them due to the fives' inner absorption. Most often, fives will tell you just what they think and won't agree to agree. Fives may not be aware, or 'pressingly' aware of the importance they have to the people the five doesn't take much interest in, but fives have the observational abilities to become mentally aware of the importance they have to others. However, it wouldn't change much. Fives will still tend to fall back on their lack of interest in spite of their awareness.

Fives are asocial. They tend to lack the ability, desire or intent to relate and are often absorbed in nonsocial outlets. Hence, social detachment is a defining aspect of the five style. The five's social detachment is not due to any need or interpersonal sensitivity. It's simply a result of their natural place of comfort in the mind. Due to their self-sufficiency the intellect of this style isn't distorted in the service of needing to prove their intelligence. They always have credible sources to back up their assertions with. Characteristic for them, more simply, is to never say anything dumb, unintelligent, imprecise. Nevertheless when life throws curveballs at them the energy they suddenly have at their fingertips also spills into a more expressive, prosocial manner. For the moment they step into the action so as to see the resolution through before retreating back into the dark wilderness of their mind.

Fives are conceptualizers. Fives are often passively resistant, vague or day-dreamy when it comes to real life decisions, and seem to prefer spending time inside of their cerebral landscape. The fives' cerebral landscape is like a world of their own. Hence fives can have a certain obliviousness towards reality and a tendency to get lost in thought. They often have a life history of observing and collecting information that has little to no practical value.

Fives are distant. It's not important for fives that they be seen. Distance gives fives the capacity to observe their surroundings without the interference of feeling. Fives find more pleasure in their mind. To maintain this distance, fives stay detached and have an interest in avoiding intimacy with others. As a result, fives are outside the action and removed from others. The fives' preference for distance can also lead to the five experiencing a gulf between self and body. Fives are prone to a disembodied state.

Fives are apathetic. Emotions rarely run intense. Fives tend not to express any sort of strong emotion or anxiety, either positive or negative. An apathy shows up in the physiological stunting of coordination and vitality. As a result, fives can get clumsy, dry, boring, monotonous, stoic and unmoved by stuff that often ruffles others' feathers or has a big impact on the world outside the fives' mind. Likewise, Fives are hard to influence, are unaroused by rejection, and lack an ability to adapt or adjust with their surroundings. Fives may simply develop a formal and impersonal style of engagement with others, and they grow increasingly imperceptive when it comes to observing the world around them.

Unhealthy fives are schizoid. For all the knowledge they have gathered, they nevertheless wind up impoverished in feeling due to the tendency towards withholding and inability to relate. They have little experience or feeling to draw from. They also wind up impoverished in thought and have a difficulty making nuanced distinctions. They become "senile," seclusive, and unresponsive to others as well as unaffected by emotional stimulus. They only skim the surface of reality and very often miss important 'components' and tend to blur the lines of perception between different categories. This "dulled perception" can be characterized as a manifestation of nihilism. Fives are the true loners of the enneagram and the least healthiest fives often wind up living a shut-in existence on the fringes of society.

Healthier fives are better able to bridge the gap between themselves and others. They have an easier time giving time to the people they care about and receiving love from others. They also use their perceptive minds to make meaningful personal or intellectual contributions. Fives also just have a very sincere quality with little capacity for manipulation. They often act how they feel. When they act happy, they feel happy. When they act angry, they feel angry. If they don’t think they should be feeling a certain way, they can come down hard on themselves. But nevertheless they will feel it, and act it.

5w6s are comprehensive. They want to acquire all the knowledge they can so that they can arrive at a more comprehensive theory about the world. They often delight in 'big ideas' and inventing concepts/interpretations that keep reality aligned with their mental landscape. 5w6s become passively unmoved by the parts of reality that don't conform to their ideas and theories. 5w6s start to treat the people in their lives like 'bulletin boards' for them to pin their ideas on. They get more pushy when it comes to their data collection. They cut off from their regular interactions with others in order to keep their collection in full swing. They are most often triggered by people who could get in the way of their ability to collect data. They start to interact with people as if reality conformed to the fives' ideas and the five was just there to enlighten others.

5w4s are antagonistic. They often know a lot more about stuff than most others and become strongly identified with their mind. They begin to act in a more condescending and dismissive way towards people who they disagree with, feel are just parroting ideas, committing logical fallacies, appealing to emotion, or not really putting much thought into their words. They get intellectually provocative and delight in demolishing conventionally held ideas even if they don't actually believe in their position. On the other hand, if the five feels that somebody is being abusive towards their environment, they won't hesitate to make that person look stupid. They have a “compulsion to disagree often” even before the five knows if they actually agree with their own opinion or not. Instead the five will hold their position or get the other person to talk more about their position while the five finds a fault in it.

Distinctions:

Fives are detached. Twos are emotionally expressive.

Threes like to be admired by others. Fives are okay with not even being seen. Threes collect data ultimately to accomplish something big. Fives collect data to more confidently prepare themselves for life. Threes cut more corners when it comes to collecting data. Fives get stuck in the collection phase.

Fours are more comfortable with their own emotions than fives.

Five autonomy is based in detachment. Six autonomy is based in distrust.

Fives can’t sustain an on the go pattern like a Seven can and are more precise in what they say than Sevens.

Both fives and eights are cunning. However, the cunning of fives utilizes better foresight than eights have and tries to exert power more through remote control. This difference boils down to the fact that fives are vulnerable to intimidation. Eights are not.

Fives are more certain. Nines doubtful.

Fives are dispassionate. Ones are passionate and use logic more to justify their convictions. Logical Ones turn logic into an ideal that they try to be perfect at, to be perfectly logical represents the idealism of type one more than it does the fixation of five. Furthermore, fives often collect information that has no real practical value in the outside world. Ones are more practical and achievement oriented in that regard, and conscientious about being productive.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've never seen Enneagram types represented with Roman numerals before, but I like the aesthetic of it. Nicely written description.

Karjakko

Enneagram
This is why I love the enneagram. Reading these descriptions, it's much easier to accept that being a five is not in itself a mental disorder; that this is a personality type among others, and I probably wouldn't be successful even if I tried to change. Such a comforting thought.

I'm not shy, and I don't really get why some fives don't like to express their emotions (if anything, the pleasant feeling of detachment makes showing strong emotion "safer" for me than it seems to be for some of those who are more committed to social situations), but everything else was spot on.

K..

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
These points click especially the autonomy, based in detachment, thank you, Tomb1. I am a 5w4, followed by 8, 3, 1, 6, 7, 9, 2. So it was not a surprise to get 548 for the Tritype. For Instinctual Variance, I'm an Sx/Sp stacking. Here's something I read on these combinations: "While social and self-preservation fives are more removed from their emotions, the sexual five is intense, romantic, and more emotionally sensitive. These five suffer more, resembles the four more, and have more overt desires. This is the countertype among the fives. While they can appear reserved or laconic on the outside, sexual fives have a vibrant internal life that is highly romantic. Trust is the basic issue with the sexual five. Fives tend to be private people, but this five have a great need for intimacy under the right circumstances- if they can find a person they can trust to love them despite their flaws. The sexual five's search for a high exemplar of connection is so exacting that it's hard to pass their test with consistency if you are the person in a relationship with them." I think an INTJ as myself, with a 5w4 sexual variance, ILI Socionic subtype, 458 The Scholar (alleged darkest) tritype, and a Choleric temperament, I am selective with logic and emotion due to my perception of time and judgment of trust. On people, my Choleric Temperament like, an ENTJ would push aside love or friendship bureaucratically, which contradicts or teases the sexual five's need for intimacy - so there's this opposition, plus there's the 8's fear of powerlessness.