• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Multiple Enneagram Subtypes/Instincts Enneagram Type 8 Instinctual Subtypes

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Posted with permission from Ocean Moonshine.

The Instinctual Stackings of Enneatype Eight

Each of the instincts of enneatype Eight are amplified and manifest without conflict with the main enneatype. The Eight is an instinctual type and the variants are instinctual energies. You see what you get. A self-pres Eight takes care of their self-pres needs. A social Eight is social and issues of control extend to their circle of influence. The sexual instinct gets amplified also. The lust of the Eight is best exemplified in the sexual Eight.

Self-pres/Social

Self-pres/soc Eights are very self reliant. They are frequently entrepreneurial; the self-preservational instinct combines with the social to make a subtype that is very focused on the external environment. Self-pres/social Eights are the least dramatic of type Eight. They are “no nonsense” types. They can be introverted, especially when the Nine wing is dominant. But, even though they are often quiet, they are very much in control of themselves and their direction in life. On the high side, they make great business owners. They show a sense of fairness and have an instinctual drive to do what needs to be done. They know how to make decisions and aren’t afraid to implement them. Because the sexual instinct is last, they can sometimes be seen as difficult to warm up to. They can be seen as “all business.”

This type has a tendency to see relationships as somehow “getting in the way.” While they may desire a close romantic relationship, they don’t want it if it is at the expense of their self-pres needs. They can appear Five-like in this way, as they are concerned about the demands a relationship might make on their time.

Self-pres/Sexual

This subtype is more fiery and impulsive. They still have the “no nonsense” approach to life, along with the “can do” attitude, but they exhibit more outward energy. Because the self-preservational instinct and the sexual instinct are in conflict, the one pulling in and the other pushing forward, they often have more of an on-off quality to them. But you will know where you stand with a self-pres/sexual Eight. Although their outward energy is in contrast to their inward self-pres energy, they have a very focused attitude in the areas of life in which the two energies coincide, such as the realm of family and close friendship, those things they are really passionate about. Their control over their intimate life will be noticeable. With the social instinct last in the instinctual stacking, this subtype can be blunt and confrontational with people who aren’t in their inner circle.

The self-pres/sexual Eight feels very independent. They feel as though they need no one outside of the few people they are close to. On the down side, they have a tendendcy to distrust people and tend to challenge them to see where they stand. When healthier, they realize there is sometimes a greater strength in adopting a softer approach.

Social/Self-pres

This subtype generally has a larger sphere of influence, although they might still be very entrepreneurial. They are likely to be more socially minded then the other subtypes of Eight. They are more aware of group dynamics. The social instinct, when combined with the type Eight fixation, causes an exagerrated awareness of whoever is in control. This often leads these Eights to get involved in politics, or to rise to levels of leadership within their place of business, or within their social organizations. They are also just as likely to oppose the group or the person in charge of it. The self-pres instinct combines with the social to give this subtype a “can do” approach to life, similar to that of the self-pres/soc. The difference is that their scope of interests extends further into the social arena. The soc/self-pres Eight, when unhealthy, can use their awareness of power realtions to abuse whatever power they might have.

Sexual/Self-pres

This subtype is a very charismatic. They have a very assertive energy and they demand attention. The lust of the Eight combines with the sexual instinct to make one of the most fiery of the combinations of all of the enneatypes, especially if Seven is the dominant wing. Sexual/self-pres Eights aren’t afraid to tell you what they think. The “can do” attitude that the other subtypes have is now intertwined with an outward passionate storm of energy. The sexual/self-pres Eight will be similar to the self-pres/sex Eight with respect to interests and attachment to close friends and family, but the intensity level is augmented. Since the sexual instinct is first, these Eights usually don’t let an opportunity pass by to connect with those they find interesting. They can sense the power in any situation and they like to challenge people. They can enjoy making others react to them, keeping others on their toes, to find out what makes them tick. They are likely to use humor to accomplish this. When sex/self-pres Eights are unbalanced, they are very quick to anger and have a difficult time controlling their impulses.

Social/Sexual

This subtype of Eight comes across a little softer then the sexual first subtypes. The social instinct combines with the sexual to make a subtype that is very aware of interpersonal dynamics. Like the social/self-pres Eight, they are less concerned with group dynamics. The social/sexual is more talkative, and if the Seven wing is dominant, may even be mistaken for a Seven. This subtype usually has a wide circle of friends. They can be very charismatic also, using humor to charm people. On the down side, they can use their interpersonal awareness to con people.

This subtype, largely because the self-preservational instinct is last, may be the least entrepreneurial of the instinctual subtypes of type Eight. The lust for life manifests through connection to others. On the high side, their awareness of the social dynamic makes them very charismatic. On the down side, it can make them overly aware of issues involving control. They are especially sensitive to any hint that others may be trying to control them, but they may misuse power themselves.

Sexual/Social

This subtype of Eight manifests as the alpha male and alpha female. They demand everyone’s attention, and usually get it. They can be very charismatic. The assertive energy of the Eight combines with the assertive energy of the sexual instinct. With the self-preservational instinct least developed, this subtype has a lot of extroverted energy. This type isn’t afraid to go after what they want in life. The fixation on lust and the emphasis on control combine with great intensisty. At times, it’s almost as if their energy gets ahead of them, which can cause problems. They often have a vision of the future, but they have their blind spots too. They can harness a tremendous amount of energy for change, but at the same time be unaware of the fallout they might encounter because of their sometimes excessive self-assertion.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Really awesome post.. I've been a bit confused about this aspect of things.. Definitely a sp/sx now that I read a collection of clear descriptions. :laugh:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I would also agree that I'm sp/sx after reading this. Especially the tendency to distrust, which I certainly have.

Aha

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My subtype is Sx/so (100% definite)

These descriptions of so/sx and sx/sp easily apply to me as well

Overall: sx/so > so/sx = sx/sp >>> sp/sx >>> so/sp >>>>>> sp/so

As for the instincts weight in me, considering sx=1, so would = 0.8 and sp = 0.3

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eh, I know for a fact I'm sx/so but this is so vague you may as well be reading a horoscope description. I get zip information from this.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Could somebody describe the differences and similarities between 8w7 sx/so and 8w7 sx/sp?

SiriuslyMcGonagall

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
if it still needs to be explained. I am sx/so. the sx/so is more social the sp makes it so the 8 want to control their environment or future. Think Trump. Anyone with sp is probably slightly more independent. and worries about self control. I would say that sx/so and so/sx is more social control. I can let the sp stuff slide, I delegate tasks or that's how I think of it. I am still a Bit SP even if it's only a little. I care much less about independence relatively as social independence. I am okay with being a broke college student and living at home. I don't think an SP would like that very much, again, think trump. I don't like it either, but on the importance side of things relatively unimportant. I usually get what I want to get seriously, it's kind of neat. A majority of people like me, I usually get everyone to talk to me. Unlike so/sx I enjoy more direct individualized conversations. I am good at group dynamics usually, but that's not always my focus. I don't host big events at all. I do on occasion, but I like going to other peoples' events, I focus on just if possible, inviting everyone to tea/coffee or a few smaller groups. Even if I was to host big events I'd approach it from individual time. The SX/SP wouldn't be that great at social stuff. or working with groups. I think the sp 8 would be more business like which I am horrible about! don't ask me, I can socialize and sell stuff but to run a business, no, not me! I am 25 and it's my 7th year in college. I've changed my major 4 maybe 5 times. I think I finally figured it out! I let social influences take over there and with my sp side I can be a bit easy to influence or was. I realized I was doing things based on what people said I should do or was good at for the exception of one thing. I know what I want to do in a sense every time, but it's not the highest priority. social kind of reigns for me. I've always been in to group and individual planning, giving speeches, debating, social interaction, ETC.... Sx/sp would not be so much like that.

so I am 8w7 3w2 and 6w7 for my tritype, sx/so . ESTJ TE subtype for my MBTI.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
if it still needs to be explained. I am sx/so. the sx/so is more social the sp makes it so the 8 want to control their environment or future. Think Trump. Anyone with sp is probably slightly more independent. and worries about self control. I would say that sx/so and so/sx is more social control. I can let the sp stuff slide, I delegate tasks or that's how I think of it. I am still a Bit SP even if it's only a little. I care much less about independence relatively as social independence. I am okay with being a broke college student and living at home. I don't think an SP would like that very much, again, think trump. I don't like it either, but on the importance side of things relatively unimportant. I usually get what I want to get seriously, it's kind of neat. A majority of people like me, I usually get everyone to talk to me. Unlike so/sx I enjoy more direct individualized conversations. I am good at group dynamics usually, but that's not always my focus. I don't host big events at all. I do on occasion, but I like going to other peoples' events, I focus on just if possible, inviting everyone to tea/coffee or a few smaller groups. Even if I was to host big events I'd approach it from individual time. The SX/SP wouldn't be that great at social stuff. or working with groups. I think the sp 8 would be more business like which I am horrible about! don't ask me, I can socialize and sell stuff but to run a business, no, not me! I am 25 and it's my 7th year in college. I've changed my major 4 maybe 5 times. I think I finally figured it out! I let social influences take over there and with my sp side I can be a bit easy to influence or was. I realized I was doing things based on what people said I should do or was good at for the exception of one thing. I know what I want to do in a sense every time, but it's not the highest priority. social kind of reigns for me. I've always been in to group and individual planning, giving speeches, debating, social interaction, ETC.... Sx/sp would not be so much like that.

so I am 8w7 3w2 and 6w7 for my tritype, sx/so . ESTJ TE subtype for my MBTI.

well done, Mr. McGonagall ;)