• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mariah Carey

What Personality Type is Mariah Carey?

• INFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

• INTP

• INTJ

• ENTP

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w9

• 9w1

• Total voters

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mariah Carey
mariah-carey-rainbow.png

You Must Be Registered To Vote

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree with ESFP. The other three types I could see are ESTP, ENFJ, and ESFJ. But she doesn't strike me as a Thinking type.

I feel like the J-ness you could get from her workaholism and the amount of control she needs over her career, but I feel like that all stems from more of an Fi part of herself than Fe. I think she's more concerned with the essence of her music than the expression of it. Comparing her to Taylor Swift who also writes her own music (and who I believe has a preference for Fe/Ti over Fi/Te), I feel like Taylor prioritizes much more how her music impacts others. Also while Taylor slides between country and pop as two predefined genres, Mariah mixes together a unique sound of urban and pop music analogous to her mixed race heritage.

Her Enneagram is harder for me. I think you could strike off 1, 4, 5, and 8, leaving 2, 3, 6, 7, and 9. It's really hard to tell where she lies here. Here are some random qualities I got from her after watching The Lost Interview and her Homecoming Special:

- rule-breaking as a child; started a food fight in 8th grade, hosted a beer party to fund her prom dress, often skipped or was late to school, worked for various restaurants and usually got fired after two weeks, didn't go to college because she knew her path was going to be as a singer since she was very young
- one of the things she's had to work hardest for is her freedom to have more control over her career
- had a very disillusioned view of the world growing up, her grandparents disowned her mother for marrying a black man (thinking "what does that make me?") and knew what it was like to hear white people talk about black people when they're not in the room and vice versa
- she wanted to be crowned prom queen, but since her school didn't have the king/queen part of the dance she campaigned for votes herself and asked her friends to vote for her
- will sleep deprive herself to work on her music and promotions
- because she initially was always surrounded by CEOs and people within a corporate structure, she never got to enjoy the fruits of her labor and consequently felt like she had to keep overworking herself to maintain her level of success
- her remixes are very important to her because early on they served as an outlet for the urban/hip-hop side of herself that her management team had been suppressing, they also provide free-flow creativity
- sang showy notes and runs on the 2nd album because she felt like she had to prove something, will now restrain herself or do "vocal gymnastics" depending on where the emotions of the song take her

Some of her most personal lyrics:

Fly Like a Bird said:
Somehow I know that there's a place up above
With no more hurt and struggling
Free of all atrocities and suffering
Because I feel the unconditional love
From one who cares enough for me
To erase all my burdens and let me be free to
Fly like a bird, take to the sky
I need you now, Lord, carry me high
Don't let the world break me tonight
I need the strength of You by my side
Sometimes this life can be so cold
I pray You'll come and carry me home

Close My Eyes said:
I was a wayward child
With the weight of the world
That I held deep inside
Life was a winding road
And I learned many things
Little ones shouldn't know
But I closed my eyes
Steadied my feet on the ground
Raised my head to the sky
And though time's rolled by
Still I feel like that child
As I look at the moon
Maybe I grew up
A little too soon

Can't Take That Away (Mariah's Theme) said:
They can say,
Anything they want to say,
Try to bring me down,
But I will not allow anyone to succeed hanging clouds over me,
And they can try
How to make me feel that I,
Don't matter at all,
But I refuse to falter in what I believe or loose faith in my dreams
'Cause there's,
There's a light in me,
That shines brightly,
They can try,
But they can't take that away from me

Outside said:
It's hard to explain
Inherently it's just always been strange
Neither here nor there
Always somewhat out of place everywhere
Ambiguous
Without a sense of belonging to touch
Somewhere halfway
Feeling there's no one completely the same

Standing alone
Eager to just
Believe it's good enough to be what
You really are
But in your heart
Uncertainty forever lies
And you'll always be
Somewhere on the
Outside

Petals said:
I've often wondered if there's
Ever been a perfect family
I've always longed for undividedness
And sought stability
A flower taught me how to pray
But as I grew, that flower changed
She started failing in the wind
Like golden petals scattering
And I miss you dandelion
And even love you
And I wish there was a way
For me to trust you
But it hurts me every time
I try to touch you
But I miss you dandelion
And even love you

Anyone have any ideas from all this? :) I'm thinking maybe 6w7 but I'm not sure yet.

[MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=22109]Evee[/MENTION] [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] [MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION] [MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION] [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] If any of you guys have the time to look at this it'd mean a lot if you gave my girl a shot even though you guys don't regularly type celebrities. :blush:

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
I recently found out that her father is black. No wonder she can sing I thought. Never stopped to consider that perhaps she got her singing talents from her mother's side.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with ESFP. The other three types I could see are ESTP, ENFJ, and ESFJ. But she doesn't strike me as a Thinking type.

I feel like the J-ness you could get from her workaholism and the amount of control she needs over her career, but I feel like that all stems from more of an Fi part of herself than Fe. I think she's more concerned with the essence of her music than the expression of it. Comparing her to Taylor Swift who also writes her own music (and who I believe has a preference for Fe/Ti over Fi/Te), I feel like Taylor prioritizes much more how her music impacts others. Also while Taylor slides between country and pop as two predefined genres, Mariah mixes together a unique sound of urban and pop music analogous to her mixed race heritage.

Her Enneagram is harder for me. I think you could strike off 1, 4, 5, and 8, leaving 2, 3, 6, 7, and 9. It's really hard to tell where she lies here. Here are some random qualities I got from her after watching The Lost Interview and her Homecoming Special:

- rule-breaking as a child; started a food fight in 8th grade, hosted a beer party to fund her prom dress, often skipped or was late to school, worked for various restaurants and usually got fired after two weeks, didn't go to college because she knew her path was going to be as a singer since she was very young
- one of the things she's had to work hardest for is her freedom to have more control over her career
- had a very disillusioned view of the world growing up, her grandparents disowned her mother for marrying a black man (thinking "what does that make me?") and knew what it was like to hear white people talk about black people when they're not in the room and vice versa
- she wanted to be crowned prom queen, but since her school didn't have the king/queen part of the dance she campaigned for votes herself and asked her friends to vote for her
- will sleep deprive herself to work on her music and promotions
- because she initially was always surrounded by CEOs and people within a corporate structure, she never got to enjoy the fruits of her labor and consequently felt like she had to keep overworking herself to maintain her level of success
- her remixes are very important to her because early on they served as an outlet for the urban/hip-hop side of herself that her management team had been suppressing, they also provide free-flow creativity
- sang showy notes and runs on the 2nd album because she felt like she had to prove something, will now restrain herself or do "vocal gymnastics" depending on where the emotions of the song take her

Some of her most personal lyrics:

Anyone have any ideas from all this? :) I'm thinking maybe 6w7 but I'm not sure yet.

@<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/7991.html" target="_blank">chickpea</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/4945.html" target="_blank">EJCC</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/22109.html" target="_blank">Evee</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/20829.html" target="_blank">Hard</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/24824.html" target="_blank">Kas</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/23222.html" target="_blank">senza tema</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/17697.html" target="_blank">small.wonder</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/10082.html" target="_blank">Starry</a> @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/7254.html" target="_blank">Wind Up Rex</a> If any of you guys have the time to look at this it'd mean a lot if you gave my girl a shot even though you guys don't regularly type celebrities. :blush:

I'll put down for Mimi being 3w4 sx/so. The flawless shade game makes me think she's probably an Fe type.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'll put down for Mimi being 3w4 sx/so. The flawless shade game makes me think she's probably an Fe type.

I LOVE HER SHADE! I wish I was as good as it as she is. Why do you think sx/so? I'm all over the place with her instincts haha.

The J-Lo comment is one of my faves. An iconic moment in shade history. And the Christina Aguilera "no." omg :laugh:

I hope she and Nicki are friends again though. Up Out My Face was great. I mean Nicki says she was ready to make up and according to Mariah they did so hopefully it's all true.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION] Definite ExFx from what you said above, and from how flowery and sentimental her lyrics are. I don't usually type people by lyrics but I just don't see a Thinker making a career out of writing like that. And I also got strong 3w4 vibes (w4 because I don't see any 2, and because that could explain some of the stuff that seemed Fi to you).

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And I also got strong 3w4 vibes (w4 because I don't see any 2, and because that could explain some of the stuff that seemed Fi to you).

This is a good point. O: Maybe all the stuff I outlined could be 4 influence over Fi. I could see this quote she said from The Lost Interview as a little 2ish or 6ish or a heart typey:

"I think I have a little overblown insecure streak that runs through me, and sometimes it manifests as me being a workaholic ... I just work and I think it's because it felt like I had to always scramble and I didn't have any stability with what was going on in my life. I had the success but I never felt the euphoric 'fame' feeling - I never had the initial sensation of feeling famous."

Also I feel like this quote could point in a direction of maybe what kind of desires she has:

"I wanna have a fun New Year's Eve, I wanna be in a warm place, I wanna have a party, I wanna see fireworks, I wanna be with people that I love, I wanna not worry about what people think, I wanna not worry that there's 'secret people' out there trying to foil me - I just wanna detach for a minute."

Kas

Fabula rasa
ESFJ 3w4 sx first maybe. Definately a feeler, but rather Fe than Fi.

I haven't watched interviews with her before so it's practically based on parts of the videos you posted. More of the first impression really:)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Definite ExFx from what you said above, and from how flowery and sentimental her lyrics are. And I also got strong 3w4 vibes.

ESFJ 3w4 sx first maybe.

I just realized don't people usually type Whitney Houston the exact same way? :thinking: Maybe that could explain why they clicked so quickly.

When Mariah gets choked up at the end I just... :cry:

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
She does sound like a feeler, from what you've said.

"I think I have a little overblown insecure streak that runs through me, and sometimes it manifests as me being a workaholic ... I just work and I think it's because it felt like I had to always scramble and I didn't have any stability with what was going on in my life. I had the success but I never felt the euphoric 'fame' feeling - I never had the initial sensation of feeling famous."[/I]

The above (especially the bolded) sounds more 6 to me-- focus on security, and the anxious vibe (using the word "scramble" around the way she describes ensuring her stability. I don't think a 3 would describe their achieving this way at all, and would focus more on winning, being the best, etc.

It's important to remember that 6 and 3 are connected though, so it wouldn't be surprising to see a bit of both. She sounds more like a Loyalist who is achieving under stress in order to feel secure, than a healthy 3 to me. Even your tidbits from her young life seem much more 6 (indecision, fear) than 3 (succeed at whatever cost, deception)-- things like not maintains a job for very long, and gaining support for her Prom queen campaign through the loyalty of her friends (not through deception or acheiving). Or so it seems to me. I do see those glimpses of 3 under stress though.

"I wanna have a fun New Year's Eve, I wanna be in a warm place, I wanna have a party, I wanna see fireworks, I wanna be with people that I love, I wanna not worry about what people think, I wanna not worry that there's 'secret people' out there trying to foil me - I just wanna detach for a minute."

This bit is a little ambiguous, except for the end which is pretty 6. Almost every 6+7 combo person I've ever interviewed has spoken to thoughts of "what if they don't really like me? What are my friends doing (having fun?) when they aren't with me? Is that person really loyal to me, or do they mean me harm?"

My two cents anyway. ;)

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My two cents anyway. ;)

Yes, you outlined exactly why I was thinking 6w7 for her when I made that post! I see the 3 where everyone is coming from, but I also feel like that connection stems from 6-related anxiety (especially since she's in an industry where she's basically required market herself). I was thinking that maybe her physical & mental breakdown back in 2001 could be explained by 6 leaning too heavily on their connection to 3 that it began to break her.

What would you say for her instincts? It's still hard for me to figure hers out. People have said sx-dom, which I could see for both 3 and just as a standalone type, but combining that with 6 just seems iffy to me because she's not as classically counterphobic as your usual sexual 6.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
More random quotes from that hour long video:

"I was very upset by certain things that were written in the press like 'Another White Girl Trying to Sound Black' and things like that. When I had a luncheon at one point with a lot of R&B press I addressed those issues with those people. And I mean, it got written about a little bit but, you know, when you're dealing within a corporate structure and you're basically a teenage girl starting out surrounded by a lot of powerful people you are not at the helm of how you are perceived."

"I'm a musical person - I grew up with a multitude of influences and I enjoy that as a writer. And see the thing about it is that people know that and people especially back then were like 'look, write us a big ballad where you're singing long notes.' And I know how to do that. That might not be necessarily what's the most stimulating creatively for me, but I know how to do it."

"Anyone who heard 'Fantasy' with Ol' Dirty Bastard in 1995 knew that that was what I was into and that shocked a lot of people. But for the most part the masses didn't hear it, which is why I put it on that #1s record."

"To me, the most important accomplishment that I've made - or contribution - is when I read a card or a letter from a kid from Queens or wherever that says 'thank you for giving me a role model as a mixed person because before you I never knew that it was okay to be who I am. I never knew that I could make it and I could achieve what you achieved.' I didn't have that role model. Like when I was a little kid I didn't have the person out there who I identified with completely who made me feel like it's okay to be me."

Starry

[MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] [MENTION=22109]Evee[/MENTION] [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] [MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION] [MENTION=23222]senza tema[/MENTION] [MENTION=17697]small.wonder[/MENTION] [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION] [MENTION=7254]Wind Up Rex[/MENTION] If any of you guys have the time to look at this it'd mean a lot if you gave my girl a shot even though you guys don't regularly type celebrities. :blush:

I hardly know a thing about Mariah Carey in spite of her overwhelming(?) popularity for the last couple of decades. The only thing I can contribute with a sense of confidence is that she seems quite obviously e3. I'm not ready to write off a 2 wing...still I'm thinking Rex probably got it right with 3w4. For MBTI, she's always given me an ESFJ feel.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hardly know a thing about Mariah Carey in spite of her overwhelming(?) popularity for the last couple of decades.

I gotta say that, although I love her, 2008-the present has not been kind to her. Touch My Body was her last #1 so it's almost coming to a full decade without a hit single. Meanwhile from 1990-2000 she had a #1 or more for every single year in the decade. The Emancipation of Mimi was her last great piece of work. But she's still had some bops here and there.

I really want her to get 21 #1 singles so she can finally dethrone The Beatles from that spot. I like some of their songs but they're so overrated and I'd love to see an artist like Mariah beat their record and piss off a bunch of fans lol.

The only thing I can contribute with a sense of confidence is that she seems quite obviously e3. I'm not ready to write off a 2 wing...still I'm thinking Rex probably got it right with 3w4. For MBTI, she's always given me an ESFJ feel.

I made some points earlier about e6 for her, but just to keep this balanced I will say every single look in this video is 3w4 as hell.

Also...I miss when Pharrell didn't wear that stupid hat. He looked so hot and smooth back then. :cry:

Are you getting ESFJ 3w4 from vibes?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

i'm going to watch her cribs episode and ponder her type... please hold.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going with ESFJ 3w4

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type