• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Viola Davis

What Personality Type is Viola Davis?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFJ

• ENFP

• INTP

• ENTP

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 9w8

• 9w1

• Total voters

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Viola Davis

You Must Be Registered To Vote

I watched an interview she did on Tavis Smiley a week ago about her recent Oscar nomination and I got a heavy INFJ vibe from her. Maybe 1w2, but I need to see her in more stuff. What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thunderbringer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
I love Viola Davis! Not sure of her type, but I really wanna know!

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Say it with me, people...ESFJ. ESFJ. ESFJ. ESFJ.

ESFJ.

Cloud of Thunder

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Having seen her in more interviews, I'm pretty confident she's an ENFJ 3w4 So/Sp.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
wuhhh?? no. she is incredibly cerebral...
Yes she is, however this isn't an argument against being a xSFJ (still not certain on the Introversion/Extroversion)

There's so much Si in the way she speaks. It's weighty, but with a strong sense of precedence and keen awareness for detail. She often has an eye on the past and where everything lies within the context of who and what has come before. She very comparative when she speaks, which is often a sign of Si-Ne (or Ne-Si).

Some examples from this interview:

‘I told Richard LaGravenese [the director] that I don’t want to clean houses in this movie. I don’t want to have a sponge in my hand and I don’t want to wear an apron.

'I feel that African-Americans in any story are defined too often as housekeepers and facilitators.’

In the past Davis has accepted whatever role she has been given without trying to tamper with it.

‘Putting my foot down is a progression for me,’ she says. ‘I’ve always been an actor for hire and to some extent I still am. But I knew I did not want to play a housekeeper.’

‘When I see myself as a little girl in a rat-infested, condemned building in Central Falls, rummaging for food, it’s absolutely unbelievable that I’ve come this far.'

Davis is proud of her solid background in the profession. ‘The reason why I went to Juilliard, the reason why I got a degree in acting, is that I wanted people to understand that I could be technically proficient as an actor, that I’m not just up there flying by the seat of my pants.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes she is, however this isn't an argument against being a xSFJ (still not certain on the Introversion/Extroversion)

There's so much Si in the way she speaks. It's weighty, but with a strong sense of precedence and keen awareness for detail. She often has an eye on the past and where everything lies within the context of who and what has come before. She very comparative when she speaks, which is often a sign of Si-Ne (or Ne-Si).

ehh i think you're missing the forest for the trees. first off, i'm sure that if i were famous and someone analyzed my quotes, they could find a lot of Fe or something. because viola had such a rough upbringing, of course she's keenly aware of the past and how it made her who she is. i don't think that's clearly strong Si as much as... common sense? something she's in awe of because her background is so traumatic and it's unbelievable she made it this far? she's also verrrryyy into metaphors... i was watching an interview awhile ago and she was talking about how she had to run this race against this bully, and she didn't wear any shoes and it was a metaphor for how in life, you have to run the same race regardless of what you're equipped with. also, when you're a black woman in hollywood, you're very aware of the past and how things have changed and how they haven't. because that's very much a part of your day to day reality. she feels like she has a responsibility to make her black background known and understood, and she has said repeatedly that she wants to get ahead so she can bring other black actors up with her. she shares her story so that in hollywood, which is obviously incredibly white, her story and the black story is heard. sometimes, in typing, it's not what someone says, but how and why.

fact of the matter is, she's an incredibly cerebral, introspective, intense and insightful woman. she's an abstract thinker as well. i cannot possibly imagine her as ESFJ... i know this sounds ridiculous, but i'm almost always accurate at typing people. i've typed my friends, family, strangers correctly. different types just have a different energy to them. viola is wayyyy too introspective and profound in a larger sense to be ESFJ. nothing against ESFJs... they just don't have that deep gravitas and human insight like viola does. li understand why the taking quotes out of interviews is done, but it can be kinda like cherrypicking + the reason for the interview and the questions she was asked that prompted the answers etc largely go unconsidered. just watching her over the years, i get a really strong sense she's INFJ. she operates similarly to meryl, who is profound and meticulous yet intuitive in the same way, and is also INFJ. there are many many INFJ actors (in fact, the most lauded actors do tend to be INFJ) and they all have that similar emotionally intense yet guarded in a professional way, and kind of cultivated persona, not totally raw and off in their own worlds like many INFPs. she has stated that she can get pretty cynical, as well.

again, i don't think those quotes, considering her background, her mission, and what she's constantly asked in interviews, indicate a preference for certain functions over others. the quote about going to juilliard coujld also be Fe, because she needs to feel accepted as an actor within the acting community. the discussion of her background is not necessarily ESFJ Si because she is constantly asked about it in basically every interview, feels a need to tell her story to share and not tone down her black experience for hollywood, for the benefit of all black actors. i think INFJs are still quite aware of trauma in their background and how it affects them... it's not like they're blind to it + never consider the past. and the housekeeper line doesn't really tell anything to me... i don't think any introspective black actor wants to play the same diminuitive and stereotypical roles over and over again---especially someone who wants all black actors to have a shot at playing non-stereotypical, regular, complex human beings. for people to type others well, there needs to be this perceptive ability to understand the larger picture of the person... and so often i see people analyze someone from a few quotes and read one function so much into it. by telling her story, she engages others; we have to bear witness to the stories of people who didn't have shoes, you know?

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gIwKLPnm7w

does she really strike you as an ESFJ? her intensity and insight into human behavior is so INFJ. the emotion is so strong but there's something very performative in how she speaks. i cannot see her being a sensor... she's all about the big picture of humanity and what it MEANS to act and human behavior and where everyone fits.

atlascatcher

MBTI Type
NiFe
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah...she isn't INFJ. ;)

I got 5 minutes into the DP/30 interview and it's like every time she opens her mouth Si pours out: First she describes exactly what was on her plate in the awards show, then she says she felt she HAD to do Meryl Streep's acceptance speech for her, next she talks about how she felt like she couldn't eat because she had to give a speech, then she describes her memory of her family and specifically her mother's reaction to her character on Law and Order, and then she talks about how she used to have big giant hair and describes the details of how she achieved it.

I vote ISFJ. No idea on enneagram but leaning towards 6w5. If she's a heart type she's probably a 2w1. I agree with her being so/sp.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
her intensity and insight into human behavior is so INFJ.

Many INFJs can have really inaccurate and emotionally distant "insights" into human behavior. As for intensity...I would just look at Tyra Banks.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Many INFJs can have really inaccurate and emotionally distant "insights" into human behavior. As for intensity...I would just look at Tyra Banks.

lol i'm not referring to that kind of intensity. tyra's a little unhinged + everything is all about Her.

i'm talking about passion for ideas and insights about human feelings and group dynamics... the point is that this seems to be viola's main area of interest + is a discussion that really makes her come alive.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
ehh i think you're missing the forest for the trees. first off, i'm sure that if i were famous and someone analyzed my quotes, they could find a lot of Fe or something. because viola had such a rough upbringing, of course she's keenly aware of the past and how it made her who she is. i don't think that's clearly strong Si as much as... common sense? something she's in awe of because her background is so traumatic and it's unbelievable she made it this far?
I agree that this is often what happens in interviews: people are encouraged to survey where they've come from to get where they are. However, I wasn't merely suggesting that talking about your past = Si. I was showing how connected she is to what has been established and gone before - it is something very present in her mind.

she's also verrrryyy into metaphors... i was watching an interview awhile ago and she was talking about how she had to run this race against this bully, and she didn't wear any shoes and it was a metaphor for how in life, you have to run the same race regardless of what you're equipped with.
Sensors are more than capable of using metaphors.

also, when you're a black woman in hollywood, you're very aware of the past and how things have changed and how they haven't. because that's very much a part of your day to day reality. she feels like she has a responsibility to make her black background known and understood, and she has said repeatedly that she wants to get ahead so she can bring other black actors up with her. she shares her story so that in hollywood, which is obviously incredibly white, her story and the black story is heard. sometimes, in typing, it's not what someone says, but how and why.
I agree and am well aware of this.

fact of the matter is, she's an incredibly cerebral, introspective, intense and insightful woman. she's an abstract thinker as well. i cannot possibly imagine her as ESFJ... i know this sounds ridiculous, but i'm almost always accurate at typing people. i've typed my friends, family, strangers correctly. different types just have a different energy to them. viola is wayyyy too introspective and profound in a larger sense to be ESFJ. nothing against ESFJs... they just don't have that deep gravitas and human insight like viola does.
I think we can agree Viola is a very intelligent, erudite, insightful and philosophical woman. This doesn't preclude her from being a xSFJ - whatever you say. I get the sense that you are biased against SJs and this makes it very hard to take your arguments seriously.

li understand why the taking quotes out of interviews is done, but it can be kinda like cherrypicking + the reason for the interview and the questions she was asked that prompted the answers etc largely go unconsidered. just watching her over the years, i get a really strong sense she's INFJ. she operates similarly to meryl, who is profound and meticulous yet intuitive in the same way, and is also INFJ. there are many many INFJ actors (in fact, the most lauded actors do tend to be INFJ) and they all have that similar emotionally intense yet guarded in a professional way, and kind of cultivated persona, not totally raw and off in their own worlds like many INFPs. she has stated that she can get pretty cynical, as well.
I just picked the first straight-forward article I could find on her (ie. not about the recent racism issues), and the point of it was to back up what I was saying with some evidence - there are probably plenty of other interviews that demonstrate her Si even better. Nor am I saying that it's 100% that she's a xSFJ; it's just that it makes sense if you listen to the way she talks. I don't see any Ni in her.

She does vibe like Meryl Streep but that's probably because they're both FJs and 1w2s, as well as both being professionally trained at prestigious acting schools.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree that this is often what happens in interviews: people are encouraged to survey where they've come from to get where they are. However, I wasn't merely suggesting that talking about your past = Si. I was showing how connected she is to what has been established and gone before - it is something very present in her mind.

Sensors are more than capable of using metaphors.

I agree and am well aware of this.

I think we can agree Viola is a very intelligent, erudite, insightful and philosophical woman. This doesn't preclude her from being a xSFJ - whatever you say. I get the sense that you are biased against SJs and this makes it very hard to take your arguments seriously.

I just picked the first straight-forward article I could find on her (ie. not about the recent racism issues), and the point of it was to back up what I was saying with some evidence - there are probably plenty of other interviews that demonstrate her Si even better. Nor am I saying that it's 100% that she's a xSFJ; it's just that it makes sense if you listen to the way she talks. I don't see any Ni in her.

She does vibe like Meryl Streep but that's probably because they're both FJs and 1w2s, as well as both being professionally trained at prestigious acting schools.

ehh if an ESFJ is constantly speaking in metaphors and far more into larger concepts over the day-to-day details and whatnot, they aren't a sensor. how is it biased to essentially rehash what the critical differences are between sensors and iNtuitives?? i know quite a few ESFJs (there are a whole bunch in my family, actually), and they simply aren't as concerned with being super introspective and reflective in the way iNtuitives are. there is a BIG difference in how they communicate/what they communicate about. no judgment at all. just what i've witnessed + what's reflected in what you see irl, online, in type profiles, etc. you're the one who has projected that i somehow think it's worse to be less concerned with big ideas. there are wonderful things about ESFJs and INFJs. they, however, are driven by very different things, occupied by very different things + have very different kinds of presences.

viola tends to get asked the same kinds of questions, so it's possible there isn't really an opportunity for her Ni to spring forth. i, and i think most people, would admit they don't have an excellent grasp on Ni.... i maybe have a rudimentary understanding but i'm not even sure i can 'see' that much Ni in my INFJ friends' writing. i often see INFJs say that they don't fully understand what's Ni and what isn't, and to what extent they're throwin' it out there. i will say, however, that as i've stated, i know quite a few ESFJs and they operate soooo differently from Viola. i love them, it's not a judgment thing at all. they are just undeniably similar to eachother in many ways, and very different from viola. it's on a whole different level. they're just on entirely different planes of being, not better or worse, just so so different. viola's intensity when she talks about community and the conceptual pinnacle of what acting should be remind me a LOT of my INFJ friends. there is so much passion there for bigger ideas about how to come together and perfect the craft. viola is clearly interested in IDEALS. she is captivated by the notion of how acting should be like a cathedral, meticulously constructed and when people are inside, they are enveloped in awe and that shared experience. she is captivated by the human psyche and understanding it to the fullest extent she can. THESE appear to be her motivations/great loves.

Viola is almost exclusively interested in the bigger picture, and communicating really complex ideas about community and her role in the industry + her responsibility as a black woman, paying it forward. as i've said before, her past is critical in getting other people to understand why the black community + she need to fight to establish respectable places for themselves in hollywood. that interview you dredged up is pretty useless in understanding what she's like. you don't see any of the questions the interviewer asked her and you don't see HOW she answered the questions, and what lit her up inside. she is asked about her past almost constantly, and being a storyteller, she weaves it into the tale of her life, and more importantly to her, the lives of black women today.

of course she has detailed memories. you know, many INFJs do when it's relevant to how they see themselves, especially in the context of a certain community. but predominantly, she is into those bigger ideas, and into interconnectivity among groups + establishing identity in deep ways. i think you could go into an interview withut knowing any of the questions and determine a whole bunch of varying MBTI types for a person. that's really missing the larger scope of that person and what makes them tick.

atlascatcher

MBTI Type
NiFe
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really am not seeing where you are getting INFJ from, even with the given explanations. Although this is highly subjective, this woman is unlike any INFJ's presence I have ever met or seen in an interview scenario. She may be interested in big ideas and interconnectivity but that doesn't necessarily mean she uses Ni as her primary mode of cognition. Most of what she speaks about seems to be drawn from her past experiences in living life as well as her schooling.

Some other DP/30 interviews of female INFJs:
Carey Mulligan - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQrztVmiS4
Zoe Saldana - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIsQlZISDM
Tilda Swinton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv1hGY2A7xM

I haven't been able to ultimately deduce a type but I'm fairly confident in saying she doesn't get an Ni-dom badge.

Last edited: