• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Albert Einstein

What Personality Type was Albert Einstein?

• ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 9w8

• Total voters

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm 5w6 INFP, which is odd. If you want an example of 5w6, go look through my posts. I quite often go through Descartes logic, spewing it in large paragraphs. Einstein seems to be 5w4. While he uses Ne as well, he doesn't seem to go into Descartes type logic as much, instead using the math his primary tool. The reason I've come up with for why other 5w6s this isn't the case is because they don't have Ne.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm perfectly willing to concede INTP - it's pretty likely. But when you sit down and read "The World as I See It" which is much closer to a personal expository of "the real Einstein" than his work on physics, I end with questioning whether or not he was a mathematical INFP. I'm INFP, very INFP, I've tested this way for a decade. However, I also have aced every math and physics course I've ever taken through Differential Equations, Multivariable Calc, Linear Algebra, etc. I haven't taken VERY advanced physics courses, but the idea that INFPs cannot have logical aptitude is simply inaccurate. So when I stumble across Einstein's writings of a personal nature, I find him more affected with an aversion to conflict, a strong sense of empathy, and an idealism that is even beyond my capacity - such as the belief that military could be abolished. This makes me sit back a little and question how much of an INTP he really was...

e.g. "I maintain that cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest incitement to scientific research." - Albert Einstein

So, here are some more quotes from "The World as I See It" by Einstein that put him more in the idealist camp than INTP:

"The ideals which have lighted me on my way and time after time given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Truth, Goodness, and Beauty. Without the sense of fellowship with men of like mind, of preoccupation with the objective, the eternally unattainable in the field of art and scientific research, life would have seemed to me empty. The ordinary objects of human endeavour—property, outward success, luxury— have always seemed to me contemptible."

"This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of the herd nature, the military system, which I abhor. That a man can take pleasure in marching in formation to the strains of a band is enough to make me despise him. He has only been given his big brain by mistake; a backbone was all he needed. This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed."

"The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious."

"Enough for me the mystery of the eternity of life, and the inkling of the marvellous structure of reality, together with the single-hearted endeavour to comprehend a portion, be it never so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature."

"To-day also there is an urge towards social progress, towards tolerance and freedom of thought, towards a larger political unity, which we to-day call Europe. But the students at our universities have ceased as completely as their teachers to enshrine the hopes and ideals of the nation. Anyone who looks at our times coolly and dispassionately must admit this."

"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained to liberation from the self."

"The lack of outstanding figures is particularly striking in the domain of art. Painting and music have definitely degenerated and largely lost their popular appeal. In politics not only are leaders lacking, but the independence of spent and the sense of justice of the citizen have to a great extent declined. The democratic, parliamentarian regime, which is based on such independence, has in many places been shaken, dictatorships have sprung up and are tolerated, because men's sense of the dignity and the rights of the individual is no longer strong enough. In two weeks the sheep-like masses can be worked up by the newspapers into such a state of excited fury that the men are prepared to put on uniform and kill and be billed, for the sake of the worthless aims of a few interested parties."

"it is precisely among the heretics of every age that we find men who were filled with the highest kind of religious feeling and were in many cases regarded by their contemporaries as Atheists, sometimes also as saints. Looked at in this light, men like Democritus, Francis of Assisi, and Spinoza are closely akin to one another. How can cosmic religious feeling be communicated from one person to another, if it can give rise to no definite notion of a God and no theology? In my view, it is the most important function of art and science to awaken this feeling and keep it alive in those who are capable of it. Only those who realize the immense efforts and, above all, the devotion which pioneer work in theoretical science demands, can grasp the strength of the emotion out of which alone such work, remote as it is from the immediate realities of life, can issue. "

"But the pursuit of scientific truth, detached from the practical interests of everyday life, ought to be treated as sacred by every Government"

"Communities tend to be less guided than individuals by conscience and a sense of responsibility. What a fruitful source of suffering to mankind this fact is! It is the cause of wars and every kind of oppression, which fill the earth with pain, sighs, and bitterness."

"To see with one's own eyes, to feel and judge without succumbing to the suggestive power of the fashion of the day, to be able to express what one has seen and felt in a snappy sentence or even in a cunningly wrought word—is that not glorious? Is it not a proper subject for congratulation?"

I don't know, I may be looking at him in a biased way. He says some things I find very illogical and poorly thought out in his sociological and political views - as if he's got some deep emotional impulse pushing him to say what he wants to be true as opposed to what he knows is true.

I just don't see his personality as a quaternary Fe, he seems to have a major Fi in him... Or maybe I just see whatever precisely my own "Ne" is in his "Ne." I don't really believe the MBTI categories are as rigid as it would lead one to believe. But, they are a fun categorization tool.

INTPhonetics

MBTI Type
INTP
Like another poster said, he's essentially the "poster child" for INTPs. Also for lefties. I'm both, aren't I special [insert sarcastic tone here]? Lol.
Regardless of that ridiculous attempt I made at dry humor, I do believe he was a solid INTP. I don't have a firm enough grasp on enneagrams to vote in that case, though. I'm still looking into it as I type.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He's an INTP. Really, there's no doubt in my mind about it. Much of what he says above, as mentioned by @blahblahbob I happen to agree with. It makes a great deal of sense to me. And I almost always test as an INTP.

The thoughts that he isn't is based on the fact that he has strong feelings about things rather than neutrality. But all the descriptions point to INTP's being stubborn about principles. Moreover, a trademark of the Enneagram 5 type is withdrawing from the world to avoid being overwhelmed by it.

Piercie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP (Could be a J) with a 5w4 enneagram

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In a system where E merely means how sociable you are, I can see how Albert Einstein would end up typed as an Introvert. However, his expansive and more impulsive approach to working out his ideas and theories suggest someone who was Ne Leading and Ti Creative.

I could vote ENTP, but I prefer to emphasise that ILE is a more meaningful typing for Einstein.

and yes, his romanticised language is actually rather common for ILE who has Mobilising Fe. A lot more apparent than the suggestive Fe of LII.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
What was his tri-type? I think he was a 5w4-4w5-1w9.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Like another poster said, he's essentially the "poster child" for INTPs. Also for lefties. I'm both, aren't I special [insert sarcastic tone here]? Lol.
Regardless of that ridiculous attempt I made at dry humor, I do believe he was a solid INTP. I don't have a firm enough grasp on enneagrams to vote in that case, though. I'm still looking into it as I type.
What particularly stood out, or personified him as a "leftie" ?

I read a part of a book based off some of his memoirs, and letters he wrote; and he was actually quite the bleeding heart idealist.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What particularly stood out, or personified him as a "leftie" ?

I read a part of a book based off some of his memoirs, and letters he wrote; and he was actually quite the bleeding heart idealist.

He was indeed a leftie.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He was indeed a leftie.

I know, I am just curious for others thoughts and views on why, or how he was considered that. Was it just purely his idealism? I suppose his values, yeah. Forward looking, kind of eccentric, believed in equality.

His views on women, though, ha ha.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know, I am just curious for others thoughts and views on why, or how he was considered that. Was it just purely his idealism? I suppose his values, yeah. Forward looking, kind of eccentric, believed in equality.

His views on women, though, ha ha.

I think it was influenced by other aspects of himself as well as the time and places he lived in. I think he saw the political stuff as ways of "fixing" certain problems that plagued him.

I don't really know how he viewed women. Could you explain that?