• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robert Downey Jr.

What Personality Type Is Robert Downey Jr.?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFJ

• ENFJ

• INTP

• INTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• 9w1

• Total voters

Psychdigg

Robert Downey jr's Somatotype is: Endomorph: 4.5 Mesomorph: 4 Ectomorph: 3

According to the chart below he would be at 4,4,3 and therefore and ENFP but also some ENFJ

wpad5994d6_05.jpg

Last edited:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since there have recently been lots of talk about the Holmes movie I thought i'd make a thread about Robert Downey Jr.

What type do you reckon he is?

I've only seen him in the Soloist, Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes and Tropic Thunder and all his characters seem to be ENTP based or atleast main ENTP qualities seem to be emphasised. So I'm guessing he may be an ENTP but I don't know much about the man himslef so...
Downey strikes me as ENFP, although he certainly does tend to play ENTPs.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFP

I adore this guy and have read and seen many interviews with him. If you go to this website (Downey Unlimited) and scroll down to the Friends and Colleagues section you get a pretty good impression of how others perceive him.

Thank you for the good source.

I don't see ENFP (think Robbie Williams).

Damaged ENTP because usually ENFPs sacrifice a lot to be liked while ENTPs usually destroy their careers/lives because of their big mouths.

Also cold irony and cruel humor is not xNFPs forte (Fi), it's xNTP (Ti).

"Robert is very cynical and sardonic", Ben Stiller (probably ENTJ)

"Every day he rewrites his script, every single day. We have great writers, but every day he would sit there and spend the first hour and a half", Terrence Howard (xNFPs to my experience avoid creating such opportunities to offend people and cause trouble. Constantly reworking things instead of settling down with the final decision is a common ENTP weakness)

"And he's so smart that, when he talks, I don't even understand what he's saying. Nobody does!", Halle Berry
NT trait. An ENFP would probably try to avoid this at all costs as it doesn't help being liked.

OR he could be a fucked up (drugs) ENFP. That would be interesting, such a weird ENFP.

EDIT: Seth MacFarlane strikes me as a more sardonic ENFP. It might be useful to compare those two to see why I don't think Robert is Fi.

ENTP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byj-wKxtN70

What about his wife's type?

Last edited:

Lightyear

What about his wife's type?

Am now thinking he is an ENTP as well. :) So I changed my mind.

Concerning his wife Susan, she is a tough producer and worked her way up the career ladder pretty quickly and at a young age. RDJ once remarked how he loves her competence and her ability to multitask.

She once said that there can only be one rockstar in a relationship and that is certainly not her, so that makes me think she is an introvert (or an extrovert who doesn't need outside approval)

She straightened RDJ out when he was still trying to get over the drugs and put him in his place if necessary, setting some clear boundaries. He credits her for being the major influence that made him get his life and career back on track.

She comes from a pretty normal background, before she met Robert she never had to deal with drug-related stuff and she wasn't sure what her parents would say about her bringing home a divorced ex-drug addict, former convict and Hollywood actor but her parents where pretty sure she would make the right decision, which she did. (They really seem to be made for each other, RDJ once said that they are the perfect fusion of gifts and character traits. Awww! :wubbie:)

So my guess is xxTJ, leaning towards introvert.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
So my guess is xxTJ, leaning towards introvert.

This is also what I was thinking. Te is there and it seems mature (dom or aux) ... Tert Fi when they hug and kiss in public (he opens with the Fe, she follows).

But I really suck at recognizing Ni and Si.

She seems more comfortable with change (during interviews), etc. thus I lean towards Ni.

INTJ but I would not bet any money on that. ISTJ seems very possible.

I wish there was some useful guide on recognizing the functions and their archetypes.

Ti, Te, Fi, Fe are much easier for me. Ne kind of shines through after a while talking.

I kind of get Se mostly with clothes and personal grooming/accessories/clothing choices (I am a big fan of ISTPs' Se).

Ni and Si are very hard for me. Takes me much longer to notice them because they are both perceiving (harder than judging to notice) AND introverted. So I usually guess these last and don't trust those guesses much.

Edit: [MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

I watched your videos.

It sounds like you know what you are talking about (or I am biased).

Could you help me learn how to recognize introverted perceiving functions. They give me hell.

I find myself struggling to guess them using the other functions to guess the person's whole type and I don't like that one bit.

What do you see in his wife?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP

I adore this guy and have read and seen many interviews with him. If you go to this website (Downey Unlimited) and scroll down to the Friends and Colleagues section you get a pretty good impression of how others perceive him.

Most people who meet him love him and even while he was battling with drugs people were rooting for him simply because he is such a likeable guy (seems very ENFP to me). No way he is an introvert, he loves the limelight and blossoms when he is the centre of attention, his wife once said something along the lines that there can only be one rockstar in a relationship and it most certainly isn't her. A lot of his quotes and interviews are brilliant because his is so intuitive, his Ne is all over the place and I often understand only about 20 percent of what he is saying but what I understand is brilliant and very quoteable (here are some of his quotes: Downey Unlimited)

Aww, I :wubbie: him very much.
His quotes definitely seem enfp. I don't think entps enjoy other people in the same way enfps do.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Edit: [MENTION=14757]Doctorjuice[/MENTION]

I watched your videos.

It sounds like you know what you are talking about (or I am biased).

Could you help me learn how to recognize introverted perceiving functions. They give me hell.

I find myself struggling to guess them using the other functions to guess the person's whole type and I don't like that one bit.

What do you see in his wife?

I don't know anything about Robert Downey Jr or his wife except that I've seen him in the Avengers. The character he is portraying is definitely ENTP, Ne and Fe all over the place, though I'm not sure if that's his actual type.

Yeah, differentiating between Si and Ni can be difficult. I eventually want to do an Si vs Ni video sometime. The introverted perceiving functions are sometimes kind of invisible. They both rely on associations, I would say, Si looking at how certain physical experiences look or feel similar (For instance I've been to this same restaurant before and it had the same smell) and Ni looking at how certain conceptual experiences are similar (This city is conceptually the same as the forest in that both have complex individual processes that contribute to the whole). Make sense?

Both Si and Ni will appear deliberate and focused. They may look like they are digging back into their brains in order to actually perceive something.

Also, if you know what extraverted perception function someone is using then you also know what introverted perception function they are using.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTP, I thought it was obvious.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know anything about Robert Downey Jr or his wife except that I've seen him in the Avengers. The character he is portraying is definitely ENTP, Ne and Fe all over the place, though I'm not sure if that's his actual type.

Yeah, differentiating between Si and Ni can be difficult. I eventually want to do an Si vs Ni video sometime. The introverted perceiving functions are sometimes kind of invisible. They both rely on associations, I would say, Si looking at how certain physical experiences look or feel similar (For instance I've been to this same restaurant before and it had the same smell) and Ni looking at how certain conceptual experiences are similar (This city is conceptually the same as the forest in that both have complex individual processes that contribute to the whole). Make sense?

Both Si and Ni will appear deliberate and focused. They may look like they are digging back into their brains in order to actually perceive something.

Also, if you know what extraverted perception function someone is using then you also know what introverted perception function they are using.

Thanks.

I am surprised. I thought it convenient to do celebrities - plenty of video material and also work approaches are highly visible.

I hope you make the video soon.

P-functions are tougher on me and I am better at Ne with xSxJs (worry much?).

And I've seen clean Ni in a visible way. I guess I'll keep practicing.

Good sources?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
Robert Downey jr's Somatotype is: Endomorph: 4.5 Mesomorph: 4 Ectomorph: 3

According to the chart below he would be at 4,4,3 and therefore and ENFP but also some ENFJ

wpad5994d6_05.jpg

You are typing based on body type? Can you even do that?

S

Stansmith

ENTP 7w8

Seems too cheeky and poised for ENFP. Dude looks like he's patiently analyzing the semantics of what he's being asked whenever he's interviewed.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
Also if I remember right, his Fb page isn't controlled by him. I could be wrong though.

Where did you get that? I know a lot of celebs pay people to manage their sites, but I honestly don't believe that the stuff on the site isn't posted by RDJ. It could be that he tells the sitemanager what he should post, so he doesn't have to spend time on it. Haha, what a genius Ne. :D

DoctorCroupy#9

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where did you get that? I know a lot of celebs pay people to manage their sites, but I honestly don't believe that the stuff on the site isn't posted by RDJ. It could be that he tells the sitemanager what he should post, so he doesn't have to spend time on it. Haha, what a genius Ne. :D

I can't remember where I heard it, but I feel like it was from the man himself in some interview xD If I remember right, he said something to the effect of "...Heck, I don't even manage my own social media!" It sounds like something he might say, but who knows haha I can't give a source and my memory's fuzzy.

Shudder

MBTI Type
INTJ
Call me crazy, but I could see him being ENTJ.

ENTP and ENFP are both possibilities though, as well.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think make enfps of that age look enfp/entp/entj quite often haha

I still don't know if I think enfp or entp tho

Honor

girl with a pretty smile
MBTI Type
?