• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Marilyn Monroe

What Personality Type was Marilyn Monroe?

• Total voters

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP
Last edited by a moderator:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
INTP

"I'm trying to find myself as a person, sometimes that's not easy to do. Millions of people live their entire lives without finding themselves."

"Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer."

"It's better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone."

"A career is born in public -- talent in privacy."

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."

"Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered."

Monroe dabbled highly in metaphor/symbolism. Very intelligent woman. Undersold as a sex icon.

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP
Ive loved her since i was 10. Completely the opposite of the gold-digging dumb blonde she portrayed in her earlier films.

"I restore myself when i'm alone"
"My illusions didn't have anything to do with being a fine actress. I knew how third rate i was. I could actually feel my lack of talent, as if it were cheap clothes i was wearing inside. But, my God, how i wanted to learn, to change, to improve".
"My work is the only ground i've ever had to stand on. I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation--but i'm working on the foundation."

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Completely the opposite of the gold-digging dumb blonde she portrayed in her earlier films.

Her great tragedy was that she was marketed in a culture that cared less for her mind than her body.

It's clear that she wasn't happy being a sex icon. Depression and anxiety eventually drove her towards a lifestyle reliant on prescription drugs and alcohol. She became isolated and unreliable as an actress. Her stock fell. What happened next was exceptionally sad.

Ironic that her beauty ended up being her greatest obstacle to happiness.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
?
No way! Definitely an F - perhaps NF.
INTPs aren't overtly sensual. They are more subtle, e.g. Meryl Streep.

Marlyn may have been exploited, but as you say, she was an intelligent woman and she exploited her own sexuality too.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I could see INFP.

Initially, I debated over whether to apply INxP vs. INTP.

welshlass

MBTI Type
INTP
I came on to ask if she could be NF. Have you ever listened to The Last Interview? Does that give any indication, do you think? How about her acting method (pardon the pun) in her later movies? I guess you have to take into consideration her childhood & formative years with the orphanages & foster homes. And of course, her mentally unstable mother & grandmother.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I want to say xNTJ. That's the vibery she's giving me. Sweet, sweet vibery.

She's tough though, she's always acting.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Would INFP be miles out or even dare I say it INTP?? I am kinda sure about the P though..

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
I think she could have been an ISFP. I've read quite a lot about her, and find many things in common with her.
It's rare that people look beyond the surface, and are quick to assume, give labels. Most see what they want to see. It's sometimes a cause of hidden saddness in a lot of ISFP's. I think it was true for Marilyn too.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm watching a movie with her right now and it's very difficult not to mix her on-screen persona with her off-screen persona.

SuperFob

MBTI Type
INFJ
INTP

"I'm trying to find myself as a person, sometimes that's not easy to do. Millions of people live their entire lives without finding themselves."

"Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer."

"Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul."

"Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered."

Monroe dabbled highly in metaphor/symbolism. Very intelligent woman. Undersold as a sex icon.
Those quotes don't show any trace of her being a T- rather, as an NF. Emotionally complex, very smart, imaginative, metaphorical. INFP for sure.

"Dreaming about being an actress, is more exciting then being one."

"First, I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm a person. Then maybe I'll convince myself that I'm an actress."

"A sex symbol becomes a thing. I just hate to be a thing."

How exactly can someone like Marilyn Monroe so far removed from being a T actually get typed as one? She's an archetypal INFP.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Just read the new Marilyn biography. I'm going to say ENFJ for her, a very strong gut feeling.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would guess ISFP, but I don't know that much about her as a person ( she definitely had a public persona....). These quotes do sound very, very NF idealist, and heavy on the Fi. I can see INFP from them, maybe ENFP. Honestly, I just don't see INFPs being so overtly sexy, haha :D. I know it's partly an act, but she obviously exudes some natural sensuality.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
INTP

Correct. Very much so.