• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Maynard James Keenan (Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer)

What Personality Type is Maynard James Keenan (Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer)?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

• ENFJ

• ENTP

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• 9w1

• Total voters

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Maynard James Keenan

You Must Be Registered To Vote

Haven't seen a thread on him here, so I'm starting one. This guy is interesting.

I think he's actually an INFP. I see him typed as INTP a lot, and I can see why in some cases, but I don't see the inferior Fe in him, in fact, I see very little Fe! Based on what I've seen and heard from him I get a very inferior Te vibe: in interviews he judges human nature in a melancholy light, his sarcasm has a very biting cynic approach to it at times, sometimes he makes a few snap judgements; he accuses other bands in today's music scene having a tendency to steal from other bands, he talks about how the government never intended to educate humans since "society would be hard to control". Plus, a lot of his quotes about inspiration, and being authentic (like in this quote: "I would hope they would be our fellow artists, rather than trying to emulate or idolize clowns like us.") all point to hardcore Fi. If he had Fe, I don't think he would be really expecting or wanting anything from his fans other than just band support. The fact that he seems to create an ideal for how he wants his bands to be supported screams Fi to me.

Some more remarkable quotes:

"Yeah, because I think it's more important just to inspire people to wake up one day and pick up a book and start feeling it out for themselves."
"I'm a pessimist. But I'm a pessimist with a sense of responsibility."
When asked about how some of his fans may miss the "angry days" of Maynard leading Tool circa 90s: "The idea is, if I can't heal from my art, then how can you heal?"

As far as his enneagram goes: DEFINITELY a 5, just not sure which wing. He often seems one way or the other. Sx/sp for sure.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He's such an IxFP 5. I don't think the arguments you raise towards Fi really point towards Fi though. A sense of authenticity is a 4 thing, not Fi thing. With that said, his reasoning seems very Fi-heavy.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
He's such an IxFP 5. I don't think the arguments you raise towards Fi really point towards Fi though. A sense of authenticity is a 4 thing, not Fi thing. With that said, his reasoning seems very Fi-heavy.

What makes you think he could be a sensor?

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
The x in the IxFP clearly indicates that I think he could be either a sensor or an intuitive.

I meant what made you think he could possibly be one. I realized it was one way or the other. I should have been more specific.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I meant what made you think he could possibly be one. I realized it was one way or the other. I should have been more specific.

No, the problem wasn't that your question wasn't specific enough. It was it was phrased in the entirely wrong way. You asked me as if I assumed he was a sensor, not whether I think he could be one. I think he's Fi with Ni, but I can't say if that would be tertiary or auxiliary Ni.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Here's some old school footage from the making of "Undertow" circa 1992, Maynard showing his humorous side:

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
ENTP

He and I share a very similar history and way of thinking.

G

Ginkgo

Agree that he's 5. INTP or ENTP for MBTI typing. He's very detached and fairly confident expressing himself, albeit his level of privacy.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
He's very detached and fairly confident expressing himself, albeit his level of privacy.

Sure, INTP makes sense based on this, but can't an INFP do this as well, especially a head-triad one? I myself am one, and I can do this pretty well. And one thing INFPs (or any Fi-dominant type) are really good at (so I've heard) are detaching from their emotions or suppressing their emotions explaining something or going into detail about something that overwhelms them emotionally. I don't know for sure, but I get the vibe that Maynard is like this, judging from his interviews.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Sure, INTP makes sense based on this, but can't an INFP do this as well, especially a head-triad one? I myself am one, and I can do this pretty well. And one thing INFPs (or any Fi-dominant type) are really good at (so I've heard) are detaching from their emotions or suppressing their emotions explaining something or going into detail about something that overwhelms them emotionally. I don't know for sure, but I get the vibe that Maynard is like this, judging from his interviews.

bolded for hilarious joke

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
When INFP's are emotional, it clouds their judgement until I ask them questions that transfer their cognition to their temporal lobe, thus ending a recursive emotional state. They have NEVER been able to do this on their own. Even the ones I've met who are aware of typology and the inner workings of their mind.

Now if you're talking about INFJ's, who have tertiary Ti, that's another thing entirely. They're usually stuck in an Ni-Ti loop and emotion comes secondary to them once they externalize.

G

Ginkgo

In theory. I see no reason for Fi>Ti, though. He just seems well versed in his particular area of interest.

louiesgonnadie

undergoing self-analysis
Whether he's INTP or INFP, that's not going to be obvious. He's a bit too mired in his work to exhibit the Fe of an ENTP.

I meant by more of an inferior Fe standpoint, I wasn't really picking up one of those vibes watching his interviews. Then again, I might not know much about it, so maybe I'm wrong.

Do you see any inferior Fe?

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni primary is clear. I type him as INTJ. Could possibly be INFJ, but I'm reasonably confident in INTJ.