• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Maynard James Keenan (Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer)

What Personality Type is Maynard James Keenan (Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer)?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP

• ENFJ

• ENTP

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• 9w1

• Total voters

Sunny Ghost

Sure, INTP makes sense based on this, but can't an INFP do this as well, especially a head-triad one? I myself am one, and I can do this pretty well. And one thing INFPs (or any Fi-dominant type) are really good at (so I've heard) are detaching from their emotions or suppressing their emotions explaining something or going into detail about something that overwhelms them emotionally. I don't know for sure, but I get the vibe that Maynard is like this, judging from his interviews.

Agreed. I can be seen as cold at times. That inferior Te kicking in.

For Maynard... I can't decide. I keep thinking INTJ or ISFP (e6), though INFP is possible. Definitely feel a more Fi/Te and Ni vibe, though not sure which is more prominent. He has these moments of playfulness, which make me think more ISFP. But other than that, I don't see a whole lot of Se.

I've always been a fan of Tool, but never really looked into Maynard until now. Interesting background: military, art school, comedy, wine making, martial arts.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Bump.

This dude is so hard to type. If you read the previous comments you'll see what I mean.
My best guess : INxP.

If you look at the cycles of the moon, it starts as a thin
crescent and then gradually waxes and becomes full; then it
gradually wanes back into another crescent and then is gone.
The moon reflects sunlight like humans reflect information.

We wax and wane and when we become full moons, our ego's are full. We think we have this knowledge when in fact, the information we have his pure. And it reflects or shines off of us, is something we take credit for as though the moon could take credit for the light it reflects from the sun. We have to understand that we are ego-less just as the moon is without light. It and we, are simply reflectors. The ego is not responsible for the information."

Who the fuck comes up with this ? Brilliant.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bump.

This dude is so hard to type. If you read the previous comments you'll see what I mean.
My best guess : INxP.

Who the fuck comes up with this ? Brilliant.

Someone that's done a LOT of drugs, has been involved in the Occult, trains Jiu Jitsu with the Gracies, has been to West Point Academy, makes his own wine from his own freaking winery AND vineyard, and is generally a fucking freak of nature, in the most awesome possible way.

And that's a pretty Zen/Buddhist thing to say. The band is definitely into buddhism, they even have a book recommendation on their site (even though it's mostly Occult books, including obscure Aleister Crowley ones). It's like a Satanic Buddhist blend, ha.

But yeah, I don't know what type he is, definitely introverted. His insane amount of productivity could place him as an xxxJ but maybe West Point just taught him discipline. I'm also leaning towards xNxx. Definitely more of a visionary.

He's also tricky because he's so damn private, although he's been hanging out on Joe Rogan's podcast a lot recently.

Either way, Keenan is the fucking man, seen Tool live 3 times.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Someone that's done a LOT of drugs, has been involved in the Occult, ...

Either way, Keenan is the fucking man, seen Tool live 3 times.

Yeah pretty much sums up my sentiments.

A few things I might add :
-I've seen them live twice in 2006 (indoors and festival). The best live band I've ever seen. A wall of sound !
-Intellectual metal : metal with meaningful lyrics. That was totally new when they started. (plus playing progressive music and being popular is rare)
-One of the only bands still alive & kicking (sort of, haven't seen a record in 8 years, which is long, even to their standards) from the early 90ties.
-I doubt he has done THAT much drugs : he once stated that you should try a certain drug for the perception it creates, and then spend the next 10 years to get their naturally. But obviously the band has experience with hallucinogens. you just never know from them when it's tongue in cheek.
-When I was struggling in 2000, the lateralus album came out and it blew my mind and helped me cope with stuff. He has very soothing, universal lyrics. My favorite album of all time.
-Never really liked Puscifer though. But APC was amazing.
-I find the other band members to be quite enigmatic as well. I suspect their bassist Justin to be an INFJ. He wrote the lyrics to the lateralus title song. "withering my intuition, missing opportunities" Sounds like stuff Jung could have written.

He's also tricky because he's so damn private, although he's been hanging out on Joe Rogan's podcast a lot recently.

yeah I saw that partly on youtube.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Listen to his interview with Marc Maron if you want a deeper look into him. (Still not that deep -- he's very reserved.)

I'm pretty sure he's an INTP 5.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah pretty much sums up my sentiments.

A few things I might add :
-I've seen them live twice in 2006 (indoors and festival). The best live band I've ever seen. A wall of sound !
-Intellectual metal : metal with meaningful lyrics. That was totally new when they started. (plus playing progressive music and being popular is rare)
-One of the only bands still alive & kicking (sort of, haven't seen a record in 8 years, which is long, even to their standards) from the early 90ties.
-I doubt he has done THAT much drugs : he once stated that you should try a certain drug for the perception it creates, and then spend the next 10 years to get their naturally. But obviously the band has experience with hallucinogens. you just never know from them when it's tongue in cheek.
-When I was struggling in 2000, the lateralus album came out and it blew my mind and helped me cope with stuff. He has very soothing, universal lyrics. My favorite album of all time.
-Never really liked Puscifer though. But APC was amazing.
-I find the other band members to be quite enigmatic as well. I suspect their bassist Justin to be an INFJ. He wrote the lyrics to the lateralus title song. "withering my intuition, missing opportunities" Sounds like stuff Jung could have written.

Yeah, I recall that quote about doing drugs, then getting there naturally 10 years later, but that doesn't mean they haven't done a shitload, I could write 5 paragraphs on why I think so but keenan (probably the whole band) just strikes me as someone that's done a shit load. Their sound is metal, but it's also been described as Pink Floydish (psychedelic), and I tend to agree. If you've ever done a lot of drugs (like me) you recognize art that could ONLY have been created by experimenting with psychedelics. So many examples, like the song Rosetta Stoned can pretty much be interpreted as a super intense trip.

And I guess that's what I mean, they've done a lot of psychoactive drugs, and probably, with their occult interests, under ritualistic settings. I don't think they mess with much of anything else. In fact, I worked for an ex-army ranger that use to set up concert rigs for bands, and he said Tool was one of the few that DIDN'T do drugs (specifically mentioned coke) before a show. They'd play basketball or do martial arts.

Not sure if lyrics indicate personality, especially with tool, as they don't write about personal things, just truths about humanity, IMO (although Maynard breaks this rule in 10,000 days about his mom). But yeah, they all have their minds and hands on everything, it seems.

They're all freakishly talented. Adam Jones was a special effects guy and set designer for Jurassic Park AND Terminator 2. (Pretty sure he makes most of the videos too). Then he decides to be lead guitarist in a band that is a living legend (I personally think they're up there with Led Zeppelin). Like, c'mon! So cool all these guys got together somehow.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION]

There's even more about his mom in his work with A Perfect Circle:

Also I agree re: songs and MBTI. Although I think songs like "Ticks and Leeches" (Tool), "Vicarious" (Tool), "The Outsider" (A Perfect Circle), and many others, sound very clearly 5.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20955]johnnyyukon[/MENTION]

There's even more about his mom in his work with A Perfect Circle:

Also I agree re: songs and MBTI. Although I think songs like "Ticks and Leeches" (Tool), "Vicarious" (Tool), "The Outsider" (A Perfect Circle), and many others, sound very clearly 5.

Interesting, never made that connection. Do love some perfect circle too.

I think they probably have a song for every type and enneagram, haha.

Hush from Opiate, and Hooker with a Penis= EIGHT. Ha. His voice is so primal and guttural, makes my skin crawl, in a good way.

"All you know about me is what I've sold you,
Dumb fuck.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
I'm the man,
If I'm the fuckin' man
Then you're the fuckin' man as well
So you can
Point that fuckin' finger up your ass!"

Oh man, I still love that song.

I have seen people type him as an ISFP, but I just don't see it. He seems like an INxx of some sort. Maybe INTJ.

erg

MBTI Type
None
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know for sure what type he is, only that he has a ton of Ni, as evidenced by this song:

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
My instinct was INTJ, because his sarcasm and quick reflexes (that part where he hipthrows a fan) says high Te, but not Te dom. Self-depreciation and sarcasm doesn't necessarily say whether one's Ti or Te, but the nature of impatience associated with high Te and quickness of judgment, the mercilessness of execution really just seems like high Te.

Hard to say because all we know is what is being sold to us, and I pretty much never cared for Puscifer, so there's that.

"If you're gonna play Monopoly, you're in it all the way," he told Rolling Stone of his guiding philosophy in a recent conversation. "No matter where you land. It doesn't matter if you don't own Park Place. If you decided to play, you're gonna play it better than you did yesterday and better than the person next to you."​
...That Te/Fi work ethic.

I also definitely think he's done a TON of drugs. The way he put it, it sounds cautionary to me. Like "sure, you can do this, but if you don't do this this will happen, and trust me i know"

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he's a five, at least Tool is a very 5w4 band.

He seems reclusive too, which adds to my suspicion of him being a five.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I think he's a five, at least Tool is a very 5w4 band.

He seems reclusive too, which adds to my suspicion of him being a five.

APC is a little more varied; there's more political stuff and specific sentiments of specific situations, individuals, or moments, but that really doesn't contradict the possibility that he's a five. Fuck, his saltiness about LA in Aenima... Hohohoho. So annoyed with all those trivial, hypocritical shit. I love this salty old man.

The disintegration towards 7 ... Given songs like H., Sober, The Hollow, etc, it points towards 5. The River in Puscifer seems to reflect that holy idea that a spiritual 5 would represent, too, it's also present in The Reflection, Lateralus, Parabol/Parabola, etc etc.

I really wonder what picture his autobiography gives, but I'm not gonna buy it because I'm broke.

Someone do us a big favour and buy that book.