• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bill Hicks

Libertine

Bill Hicks

You Must Be Registered To Vote

What do you think of his type? Personally I think his whole act is loads of both Ne and Fi, coupled with a Te that would be the most prominent when he's provoked or really lashing out in a tirade of hate and disgust against the government, the media, the audience and whatnot. I think he's ENFP.

What's his enneagram; 7w8? 8w9? 1w9? Sx/So?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
ENFP. He was very passionate, and his stand up was just a soap box to rile people up so they would get angry at the corruption around them.

Libertine

I say ENTP for sure. He was so into that "people suck" vibe that he'd make other anti-socials appear fluffy.
He was "hollow on the inside" - the crying entertainer. ENFPs are often "warm on the inside" -> Fi
I also think Hicks was very Ti-Fe.

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/entp.htm#Hicks
I disagree. He had a very humanistic philosophy and believed that everyone is good at heart, just that the people had been brainwashed by media and government into an apathetic state of mind. "Behind every cynic is a dissappointed idealist" is a quote that can be applied here. I'll show you some clips where I think he's displaying Fi, coupled with angry Te:

[YOUTUBE="cfkvpcjNk7c"]Artistic Roll Call[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="xRkA6zugNMQ"]Play From Your Fucking Heart[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="iMUiwTubYu0"]It's Just A Ride[/YOUTUBE]

Where do you pick up Ti? Can you give some examples?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
if he said that people could actually maintain some inner core of goodness and so on then i'd say fe for sure.

but lets take a look at the last clip. the last video you posted. he implies even that families is just "part of the ride" an illusion

angry te? dunno, wouldn't te acutally look for ways of altering something. concrete, applicaple, predictable? i see hicks wanting to open up to the unkown, to the empty slate. and thats very entp to me.

do you buy that enfp = the champion ? - the premise being that they often champion is tangliable concrete solution that they want people to support and often, enfps sell off the world as a better place *if only* this vision could be implemented. by contrast, i think that ENTPs hesitate to sell the world off as a better place, even if people would follow their ideas. to entps, the world tends to be "empty", even after they'd get their way.

for example, as you can see, i belive socrates and machiavelli to be entps. even as these people said alot about their ideal philosophies they still do it somewhat hesitantly.

anyway, these are not the best arguments I can come up with. but i know hick very well. maybe we dont have the same conception of ENTP/ENFP. here are some people that I believe to be ENFP:

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/enfp.htm

(yes i know that nader does not seem to be an enfp at first glance, but I do belive he uses ne-fi-te-si in that order)

Within

Permabanned
My guess would be ENTP/5. One thing I can't understand is why people laugh at his stand up routine. Once and a while he says something snicker-worthy yes, but usually he just delivered wisdom soaked in hate, which in it's own way deserve being lifted to the skies with awe.

Libertine

if he said that people could actually maintain some inner core of goodness and so on then i'd say fe for sure.

but lets take a look at the last clip. the last video you posted. he implies even that families is just "part of the ride" an illusion

angry te? dunno, wouldn't te acutally look for ways of altering something. concrete, applicaple, predictable? i see hicks wanting to open up to the unkown, to the empty slate. and thats very entp to me.

do you buy that enfp = the champion ? - the premise being that they often champion is tangliable concrete solution that they want people to support and often, enfps sell off the world as a better place *if only* this vision could be implemented. by contrast, i think that ENTPs hesitate to sell the world off as a better place, even if people would follow their ideas. to entps, the world tends to be "empty", even after they'd get their way.

for example, as you can see, i belive socrates and machiavelli to be entps. even as these people said alot about their ideal philosophies they still do it somewhat hesitantly.

anyway, these are not the best arguments I can come up with. but i know hick very well. maybe we dont have the same conception of ENTP/ENFP. here are some people that I believe to be ENFP:

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/enfp.htm

(yes i know that nader does not seem to be an enfp at first glance, but I do belive he uses ne-fi-te-si in that order)
Well, isn't that exactly what he did, trying to change the world into a better place? He championed his ideals quite brashly, and not "hesitantly". He even saw himself more as a preacher than a comedian. And I don't know about just ENTP's wanting to open up to the unknown, care to elaborate?

By the way is it your site?

Within said:
My guess would be ENTP. One thing I can't understand is why people laugh at his stand up routine. Once and a while he says something snicker-worthy yes, but usually he just delivered wisdom soaked in hate, which in it's own way deserve being lifted to the skies with awe.
I'm always laughing to the point of tears whenever I watch the clip where he's imitating a trailer trash mother giving birth to "little miracles".

"I'm going to call you Lorry Driver Jr!"

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Well, isn't that exactly what he did, trying to change the world into a better place? He championed his ideals quite brashly, and not "hesitantly". He even saw himself more as a preacher than a comedian. And I don't know about just ENTP's wanting to open up to the unknown, care to elaborate?

yes my arguments come out kind of muddled. what i alluded to wasn't his delivery which is brash enough for two. but rather, what does he promise us if we do his thing? can you set a finger on it? its all very vague to me

ill try to explain

nader (if we can belive him to be an enfp): what does nader want? he wants to ban the corvair
what will happen if we ban the corvair? well all be safer, the automobile industry will have to make better cars for us, the world will be a better place
its tangliable and concrete

socrates (if we can belive him to be an entp): what does socrates want?
he wants us to examine our arguments dialectically and remain intellectually honest while doing so
what does he promise us? well, uh, nothing really. he just has this idea that everything will be better if we use the dialectical method. we wants to open up the way we debate to allow for something greater what it is, he cant really say

machiavelli (if we can accept him as ENTP): what does he want?
he wants us to accept a form of goverment where factions are constantly vying for power against each other. not so controversial now, but try going back to the renaissance. everyone else wanted a strong monarch.
what does machiavelli promise us if we do what he says? well, uh, something vague about always being better and more flexible in a conflict.

again, im pretty scatter brained here. what i am getting at, is that the ENTPs are sort of an abstract designer. they're not champions like ENFPs.

lets say we have the classic political conflict of the orders: people / aristocracy / monarch - ENFPs would typically champion one of those. thus we have a concrete tangliable goal and a concrete tangliable outcome.

on the other hand, analytical ENTPs would typically look for a way for design "the rules of the game" so that each order contributes the most to the whole and dis-contributes the least. socrates dialectic is also just rules for having a conversation

i once wrote somewhere:
Fe is World-then-ego
Fi is Ego-then-world

what does hicks promise us if we something manage to connect with our inner cosmic light and love all people? again, something pretty vague.

an analytic ENTP sort of designs how to make the game fair
a champion ENFP just wants his side to win

IMHO

By the way is it your site?

yes

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I disagree. He had a very humanistic philosophy and believed that everyone is good at heart, just that the people had been brainwashed by media and government into an apathetic state of mind. "Behind every cynic is a dissappointed idealist" is a quote that can be applied here. I'll show you some clips where I think he's displaying Fi, coupled with angry Te:

[YOUTUBE="cfkvpcjNk7c"]Artistic Roll Call[/YOUTUBE]

That's what convinced me of ENFP. He takes Leno's selling out almost as an act of betrayal. The way he calls him a "fucking whore" and acts as though he's a sort of moral authority on the matter. I know it's for the sake of comedy (and Hicks' schtick was that of a curmudgeon) but still, I don't see an ENTP (or any NT) fixating on it in this way.

Also, ENTPs typically keep their audience "in" on the joke. Compare Ricky Gervais or Eddie Izzard; They always have this more amiable demeanor, even when riffing on taboo subjects. They may as well be saying "You think that was good? Here's another one. I know, I'm hilarious". To me, that's an indication of Ti-Fe. Te humor is more blunt, more abrasive. It's basically " This is how it is, don't argue with me... now suck my dick". That's Hicks.

Libertine

That's what convinced me of ENFP. He takes Leno's selling out almost as an act of betrayal. The way he calls him a "fucking whore" and acts as though he's a sort of moral authority on the matter. I know it's for the sake of comedy (and Hicks' schtick was that of a curmudgeon) but still, I don't see an ENTP (or any NT) fixating on it in this way.

Also, ENTPs typically keep their audience "in" on the joke. Compare Ricky Gervais or Eddie Izzard; They always have this more amiable demeanor, even when riffing on taboo subjects. They may as well be saying "You think that was good? Here's another one. I know, I'm hilarious". To me, that's an indication of Ti-Fe. Te humor is more blunt, more abrasive. It's basically " This is how it is, don't argue with me... now suck my dick". That's Hicks.
Yes! How he goes about everyone who ever does a commercial for money is of the artistic roll call, the hatred and bashing of the one who did (especially since Bill had looked up to Leno in the beginning of his career), I think that all screams Fi.

Libertine

ENTP 4w5 or 5w4
Why 4w5/5w4? He was never quiet or introverted, he was an entertainer and a rebel from an early age and not detached in any sort of way.
I could possibly see him as a 4w3, but I think 7 or somewhere in the gut triad would be more accurate. Lot of rage in that man.

Fan.of.Devin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
The 4 and 5 enneagram descriptions don't really indicate any huge amount of introversion or extroversion, I don't think (I actually don't think any of the enneagram descriptions do very explicitly).
Maybe 4s are arguably portrayed as introverts, I guess.

I saw him as very cerebral(5), individualistic(4/8), and opinionated(5/4?), but also very detached and uninterested in dealing with most other people (let alone controlling them, which rules out the possibility of 8).
In other words, more content to just do his own thing and tell others to go screw.

I also saw him as somewhat extroverted, and very misanthropic and content with solitude.

dsilva

MBTI Type
IXXX
he was both

NT's don't sing songs about love:

watch?v=pd6_IUbBsiM

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
cp6w5 (sx/so, probably), not 4 or 5. After reading American Scream (which is a pretty good bio) I think he was ENtP instead of ENfP like I previously thought. I might come back later and make my case for Ne/Ti/Fe over Ne/Fi/Te.

Jmm124567

lets say we have the classic political conflict of the orders: people / aristocracy / monarch - ENFPs would typically champion one of those. thus we have a concrete tangliable goal and a concrete tangliable outcome.

on the other hand, analytical ENTPs would typically look for a way for design "the rules of the game" so that each order contributes the most to the whole and dis-contributes the least. socrates dialectic is also just rules for having a conversation

i once wrote somewhere:
Fe is World-then-ego
Fi is Ego-then-world

what does hicks promise us if we something manage to connect with our inner cosmic light and love all people? again, something pretty vague.

an analytic ENTP sort of designs how to make the game fair
a champion ENFP just wants his side to win

IMHO

From what I have seen this is true. ENFP's seem to tend more towards far-left political ideologies like communism. The group they champion is the working class and they want the working class to take over the ruling class from the rich. ENTP's I would guess are more moderated less radical.

Hicks may be an ENFP. I have always been under the assumption that he was far-left, a radical. He once said that he is "Noam Chomsky with dick jokes." I see a decent amount of Fi in his comedy act. Also he was really into spirituality and Eastern Philosophy which I see as more NF oriented. His worldview had kind of a hippie bent to it which I see as more NF.