• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Louis CK

What Personality Type is Louis CK?

• INFJ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• INTJ

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w1

• Total voters

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]

Great clip! Yeah, I'm leaning towards INFP more and more.

My issue with INTP is how he focuses so much on emotions. ENTPs can emote and come across much more emotional than they really are, which is partially why I didn't eliminate ENTP, but it's harder for me to buy that an INTP would root so much of his life from an emotional, personal value driving core.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ithought he was ntp tho mostly because he doesn't have fi eyes....or that wounded soul vibe.

I noticed that, too. But watch his show... he NAILS the wounded soul vibe eyes there.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@Lady X

Great clip! Yeah, I'm leaning towards INFP more and more.

My issue with INTP is how he focuses so much on emotions. ENTPs can emote and come across much more emotional than they really are, which is partially why I didn't eliminate ENTP, but it's harder for me to buy that an INTP would root so much of his life from an emotional, personal value driving core.

right me too...and i think it's easy to misread his humor as being anti feeling...but he's just playing up the absurdity in that stance. and i mean it's just funny to say your kid's an asshole or you can beat up like 50 6 year olds etc

it's not non feelery to say that stuffs. it's ne fi twisty humor.

at least that's what it's feeling like to me.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I noticed that, too. But watch his show... he NAILS the wounded soul vibe eyes there.

i have watched it...i think i've seen all of them. if i'm talking about the same one. i know he's had a couple.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
all the nfp men i've known have been crass and enjoy gross/shocking things and can be very dark. [...]

That's not my experience of INFPs in general... going more for the quiet observational humor and cross-contextual silliness (often delivered in quiet asides). Still, there's a lot of variation among INFPs, no doubt.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]: "ne fi twisty humor". My favorite phrase of the day!

My humor gets pretty dark at times. I won't say that I've shocked my NTP friends, but they have approved. :D If I had the incentives that he does (people laughing and enjoying my thoughts), I could see myself developing that skill and focusing more on those types of thoughts.

That's not my experience of INFPs in general... going more for the quiet observational humor and cross-contextual silliness (often delivered in quiet asides). Still, there's a lot of variation among INFPs, no doubt.

INFPs tend to be very conscious of social appropriateness. Most people see my silly / observational side. I have to trust you to really let myself go dark. An old INTJ friend and I used to get into dark humor contests to see who could make the other flinch first.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't know what you mean necessarily by focusing on emotions. I know he can be really broody and self-loathing, but I don't think those are reserved for F types. Also, is it possible that a lot of what we see can just be the result of raising two daughters and what that does to one's priorities?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=5418]Lady X[/MENTION]: "ne fi twisty humor". My favorite phrase of the day!

My humor gets pretty dark at times. I won't say that I've shocked my NTP friends, but they have approved. :D If I had the incentives that he does (people laughing and enjoying my thoughts), I could see myself developing that skill and focusing more on those types of thoughts.

INFPs tend to be very conscious of social appropriateness. Most people see my silly / observational side. I have to trust you to really let myself go dark. An old INTJ friend and I used to get into dark humor contests to see who could make the other flinch first.

:laugh:

yeah i don't think it was comfortable for him to go there. like he said in the tribute to carlin video he did the same "jokey" act for 15 years before i decided to dig deep and talk about those hidden type thoughts that weren't pretty.

i mean infp artists will express all that inner pain and twistiness through their music, writing, painting etc

he does comedy....and it took awhile but he got really good when he started getting real.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know what you mean necessarily by focusing on emotions. I know he can be really broody and self-loathing, but I don't think those are reserved for F types. Also, is it possible that a lot of what we see can just be the result of raising two daughters and what that does to one's priorities?

Well, I can't eliminate INTP, I just don't think the case is as strong. He seems much more Fi and focused on internal values than he does at pointing out logical absurdities in the world. However, when he talks about his social obliviousness, it does remind me of some things INTPs have said.

The daughters definitely could make a difference. He already had one when he changed his style of standup to be focused more on the crazy stuff he feels ("My baby girl is an asshole").

One of his more famous routines, "Everything's amazing!" is far more Fi driven than Ti driven, IMO. It's a good example of a pattern that many of his routines take. Start with the value, expand to include all the absurd ways it plays out in the world.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Okay, I can admit to doing that personally... but that's kind of a rare suspension of normal filters. I do tend to be very grim/fatalistic in an upbeat kind of way, though, which amusingly throws my coworkers.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Louis doesn't seem like an T, in that he does not resemble other T comedians--he doesn't treat stand-up like an intellectual game. Demetri Martin is very detached, and his routine is full of graphs and absurd drawings. Ricky Gervais is another extremely intellectual comedian, who would often use slideshows and animal facts for laughs. Their work just has a different feel.

On the rare occasion Louis does venture out on a historical/factual limb, I notice he doesn't seem very interested in getting things right. I'm sure he could if he wanted to, but it's just not where he puts his value. He seems to lack respect for the facts. This doesn't seem very T-ish to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Louis stupid. He is absurd and clever and I love that. But what really makes Louis CK so interesting to me, isn't his intellectual curiousity, it's his moral curiosity. He confronts his assumptions, his unconscious impulses, and puts himself on trial for our comedic pleasure.

He does a great bit about giving soldiers his plane seat in first class.

Every time I see a soldier on a plane, I always think: ‘You know what? I should give him my seat [in first class]. It would be the right thing to do, it would be easy to do, and it would mean a lot to him…I should trade with him.’ I never have, let me make that clear. I’ve never done it once. I’ve had sooo many opportunities. I never even really seriously came close. And here’s the worst part: I still just enjoy the fantasy – for myself to enjoy. I was actually proud of myself…for having thought of it! I was proud! ‘Oh, I am such a sweet man. That is so nice of me! To think of doing that, and then totally never do it.’

I know it's awful to transcribe comedy like that, but I can't find the clip. Louis is brutally self-aware. He captures the ugliest, most pathetic parts of our self, and helps us come to terms with those parts through laughter.

This strikes me as a Ne-Fi/Fi-Ne thing. If you pressed me I would argue he's an ENFP, because I don't think an INFP could laugh about disregarding his values so frequently. I'm not saying ENFP's are morally bankrupt, but I think they would be less loathe to admit their transgressions, especially in the name of performing.

Another reason I suspect he is an ENFP is from watching his evolution as a stand-up. Louis was always very silly, creative and emotional. If you look at his old stand-up bits, they're zany, but they have no teeth. As he got older and accumulated more experience, and (in my mind) became more aware of his auxilary Fi, his humour began to become more personal, darker, more viscerally real. He starts talking about values, family, the foibles of humanity, etc. He went deeper. That's the Louis CK we know and love today. People forget the goofy redhead from the 90s shouting about his peach.

INFP's on the other hand, get broader, and lighter over time. They learn to adapt more, and aren't so annoyingly stubborn when confronted with reality.

I also have always fancied the idea that neurotic/unbalanced N-doms tend to have really gross manifestations of their inferior S. If this were true than Louis' crude, gross-out humour, anxious overeating, impulse shopping, and his slovenly behaviour (I remember Marc Maron interviewing CK on a podcast and they talked about how disgusting Louis's apartment was) would fit.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
TV Show Louie. Keep in mind he wrote, directed, edited all of this.

R

Riva

I can't see the link right now. Anyway quite recently I watched a few of his videos and did find him funny. He has a frustrated with the rest but does not give a depressed vibe that I like. Comedians usually choose a character and create their joke around that character. So yes I like his character and his jokes. However I find russel peters much better and I was probably making a comparison when I made that comment. Then again I probably haven't seen his best material; being limited to you tube videos.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Louis doesn't seem like an T, in that he does not resemble other T comedians--he doesn't treat stand-up like an intellectual game. Demetri Martin is very detached, and his routine is full of graphs and absurd drawings. Ricky Gervais is another extremely intellectual comedian, who would often use slideshows and animal facts for laughs. Their work just has a different feel.

On the rare occasion Louis does venture out on a historical/factual limb, I notice he doesn't seem very interested in getting things right. I'm sure he could if he wanted to, but it's just not where he puts his value. He seems to lack respect for the facts. This doesn't seem very T-ish to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Louis stupid. He is absurd and clever and I love that. But what really makes Louis CK so interesting to me, isn't his intellectual curiousity, it's his moral curiosity. He confronts his assumptions, his unconscious impulses, and puts himself on trial for our comedic pleasure.

He does a great bit about giving soldiers his plane seat in first class.

I know it's awful to transcribe comedy like that, but I can't find the clip. Louis is brutally self-aware. He captures the ugliest, most pathetic parts of our self, and helps us come to terms with those parts through laughter.

This strikes me as a Ne-Fi/Fi-Ne thing. If you pressed me I would argue he's an ENFP, because I don't think an INFP could laugh about disregarding his values so frequently. I'm not saying ENFP's are morally bankrupt, but I think they would be less loathe to admit their transgressions, especially in the name of performing.

Another reason I suspect he is an ENFP is from watching his evolution as a stand-up. Louis was always very silly, creative and emotional. If you look at his old stand-up bits, they're zany, but they have no teeth. As he got older and accumulated more experience, and (in my mind) became more aware of his auxilary Fi, his humour began to become more personal, darker, more viscerally real. He starts talking about values, family, the foibles of humanity, etc. He went deeper. That's the Louis CK we know and love today. People forget the goofy redhead from the 90s shouting about his peach.

INFP's on the other hand, get broader, and lighter over time. They learn to adapt more.

I also have always fancied the idea that neurotic N-doms tend to have really gross manifestations of their inferior S. If this were true than Louis' crude, gross-out humour, anxious overeating, impulse shopping, and his slovenly behaviour (I remember Marc Maron interviewing CK on a podcast and they talked about how disgusting Louis's apartment was) would fit.

yeah i've seen that one too! (your quote)
and this clip haha love it :laugh:

will think more on what you wrote and come back just wanted to share that.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
yeah i've seen that one too! (your quote)
and this clip haha love it :laugh:

will think more on what you wrote and come back just wanted to share that.

Of Course But Maybe is definitely the highlight of his last special! Thanks for posting it :D

That Louie moment is my life. UGH, that episode crushed me.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That Louie moment is my life. UGH, that episode crushed me.

Same here. Actually, I saw that clip first, and it's what led to me marathoning the first 3 seasons of the show.

Also, good thoughts on him being ENFP. I can definitely see that.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

omg i know! fj this crushed my whole world too!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
think he would be a 6w5 enfp?

or 4w5 enfp?

if he's infp i don't think he's a 4 tho.