• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bruce Lee

What Personality Type Is Bruce Lee?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• ENTJ

• ENFP

• ISTJ

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ESTJ

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w9

• 9w1

• Total voters

KDude

Wait, I don't even know where I read that. Just doing a quick googling now, but I keep seeing 8w9 instead.

wolfy

awsm
I can only find 8w9 too. I found this in one description...

Bruce Lee (8)

"From boyhood to adolescence, I presented myself as a trouble-maker and was greatly disapproved of by my elders. I was extremely mischievious, aggressive, hot-tempered, and fierce. Not only my "opponents" of more or less my age stayed out of my way, but even the adults sometimes gave in to my temper. I never knew what it was that made me so pugnacious. The first thought that came into my mind whenever I met somebody I disliked was "Challenge him!". Challenge him with what? The only concrete thing that I could think of were my fists."

Bruce Lee, quoted in a Taiwanese newspaper, ca. 1972

It said somewhere else that 9w8 is most highly correlated with istp.

KDude

^Well, fwiw, (and I'm not trying to say I'm just like Lee or so badass or whatnot), but I was not much different at the same age. I only mention it because I don't understand a lot about why I correlate with Fi now. Apparently, I'm not supposed to have any history of that, as if I'm supposed to take a lot of crap in life. :rolleyes: Some people might project an image on to me and say "Oh, you're just kidding.. I know you're a nice person.." Bullshit! :D I had 3 assault charges and time in juvenile detention before 17, my parents sent me to shrinks for anger problems, I screwed around with the gang thing.. etc.. and back then, I didn't "mediate" well. If someone pissed me off, I'd hit them. It was going to be a fight. I especially loved to do that to smug people who thought it couldn't happen. It took a lot of spiritual stuff to calm me down, I guess. Like him it seems. So, I don't know.. Sorry for the rant. It's funny how people can change.

edit: I voted in that recent poll elsewhere that I've somewhat given up on MBTI. I'm starting to think it doesn't answer all of these issues.

wolfy

awsm
I know. I didn't really post it for any reason other than it was interesting. It does show eight pretty strongly in why he did it.

I was looking at this other forum and they were claiming Bruce Lee as N because he talked about Taoism. I don't whether to laugh or cry.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
edit: I voted in that recent poll elsewhere that I've somewhat given up on MBTI. I'm starting to think it doesn't answer all of these issues.

It doesn't. I don't think it's supposed to. Sort of how therapists and psychoanalysts aren't designed to "fix" you.

I don't mean to put you on blast or anything because I like you (I think I told you that), I'm just trying to give a friendly warning to not put too much. ..stock into archetypes.

The rest of your post endeared you to me some more. Bruce Lee is one of my favorite people, ever. Mostly because I can relate to his struggle with the race/success issue, my zodiac is also Dragon and I was/am also the same way. I was such a nightmare for my poor Grandmother and just about everyone but my dad. I have a tendency to be aggressive, argumentative, challenging (I will literally challenge anything), vocal, strongly opinionated, trying, I'm also really blunt and I tend to get physical when I get mad and when I get mad I get really, really "call the cops" mad. Most of which people find adorable and don't take seriously at all because I am quite small.

I knew that somebody would mistakingly equate "hard ass" with "bad ass", that's why I specifically pointed out the difference between fighting abilities and personality, yet you jumped out to protect your "bad ass" honor anyway.

Like I said, don't read his prepared quotes. Read about his life.

What a person does or how a person lives sometimes does not equate what they really are. This is especially true if you live in a not-so-safe or not at all peaceful environment and learn from an early age, in the words of Bill Cosby (about the same words, anyway), that "if you were thoughtful, you were something to eat". I'll get personal, I grew up in the projects. It was so easy for the people in power (teachers, the law, parents) to write off most of the kids as nothing more than thugs incapable of what would be considered Fi, or Ti abilities but that's just a mask they had to wear to survive. I see this vulnerability (the need to protect oneself from outside forces that are very real, very dangerous and completely out of our control) in Bruce. Doesn't mean he had no desires for or thought so peace.

That "peace" (personal-inner and in the community) daydream is the most frequent daydream/longing of those who grew up where you could get jumped/killed/shot just for being smaller and/or alone.

It's easy to say someone who had aggressive or violent tendencies could not possibly be peaceful if you don't take into account that some people spent their formative years in places where they had to put on a mean face/demeanor in order to be safer, often over riding natural needs/responses because they're learned how to survive. That creates a pattern of behavior and feelings of vulnerability that are hard to break, even in adult hood. Doesn't mean the person doesn't want peace, doesn't think about peace or is incapable of peace.

Last edited:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'ld say isfp cause they are the ones, who next to intjs, entps and esfjs, just in a different form strike me with this unrestlessness seeker gene. While to an istp the quest for perfection would maybe be the goal, for a seeker its more the quest for a new quest and by all means whats the goal quest, which defines him.

Other than that he was one of the greatest artists I know and thats isfp to me.

wolfy

awsm
It seems that the early stuff with the gangs and fighting is pretty irrelevant. If you have someone that has that same experience and has studied type and has typed themselves as Fi then it becomes a moot point.

I think the quotes have some relevance as does the Taoist stuff. He studied philosophy in university and wrote about all the types of philosophy at one point or another. I think it has some relevance that he chose to express himself in that way. I do not think it was solely image.

What do you think of this that he wrote. It is on Pg 133 in The warrior Within.

I have said before 'Truth is nowhere to be found on a map' Your truth is different to mine. At first, you may think that this is a truth, but later you discover another truth and the former truth is denied - but you are closer to the truth.

I think the fact that he made a martial art that was solely for himself and that was designed specifically for him pushes me to Fi. An expression of self through the design of something.

I say isfp.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
he sounds isfp to me....i think it's just tricky to type people who use both fi and ti it's like they ti their fi...it's confusing as hell to people who are just fi or just ti but some do both.

wolfy

awsm
he sounds isfp to me....i think it's just tricky to type people who use both fi and ti it's like they ti their fi...it's confusing as hell to people who are just fi or just ti but some do both.

I know what you mean, just reading that sentence confused me and it makes perfect sense. I think I do both, I am pretty sure of it. I agree with Lenore Thomson on isfp using Ti as a back up. At least if I use myself as a case study.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
It seems that the early stuff with the gangs and fighting is pretty irrelevant.

That's what I said in way too many words.

If you have someone that has that same experience and has studied type and has typed themselves as Fi then it becomes a moot point.

You don't even have to know about MBTI to figure out that living in a jungle causes people to harden and may not actually reflect the humanity inside of them. Unless you're judgmental and also didn't take it into account.

But in regards to Fi and what it does, it's obvious that he would not be pretentious or dishonest about what made him tick solely to create an image. If anything he was typically fire dragon honest, blunt and transparent to a fault. He was more about getting people to accept him, not creating a false image or bending himself to be accepted? But at the same time mindful of what people want to see/believe in and what's so cool it turns you into a legend over night.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i know. i know both an enfp and an infp who seem to back their fi with ti...or they're intertwined and it looks like one function.

R

Riva

Didn't he kick some Chinese grand master for challenging him senseless in less than 2 minutes, followed him out of the ring & beat the crap out of his head till he pleaded with him to stop.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.... He sounds like a ISFP to me.

wolfy

awsm
Didn't he kick some Chinese grand master for challenging him senseless in less than 2 minutes, followed him out of the ring & beat the crap out of his head till he pleaded with him to stop.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh.... He sounds like a ISFP to me.

References please.

KDude

1 and half minutes, I think. He didn't beat the crap out of him though.

He was actually pissed at himself that it "took too long".. part of the fight he had to run and chase the guy as well.. he felt a little winded afterwards. These two things (speed and getting winded) is what prompted him to go crazy with his fitness routine..he didn't want it to happen again.

wolfy

awsm
1 and half minutes, I think. He didn't beat the crap out of him though.

He was actually pissed at himself that it "took too long".. part of the fight he had to run and chase the guy as well.. he felt a little winded afterwards. These two things (speed and getting winded) is what prompted him to go crazy with his fitness routine..he didn't want to happen again.

I remember that story. I remember it wasn't like it was played out in the movie though.

R

Riva

References please.

The challenger was a rival he had for teaching martial arts to westerners. The Asians wanted to prevent westerners from learning martial arts. Reference, you look it up. My nerdy boy days are over. ;)

wolfy

awsm
The challenger was a rival he had for teaching martial arts to westerners. The Asians wanted to prevent westerners from learning martial arts. Reference, you look it up. My nerdy boy days are over. ;)

I remember it, I don't see how it makes him not isfp.

KDude

You've got an Odo avatar. You're still a nerd!

I know who Odo is, so I'm a nerd as well. Don't feel bad :glasses:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that doesn't mean it's not fi curzon...i have superfast fighter instinct too....seriously...you do not want to jump out and scare me.

R

Riva

I remember it, I don't see how it makes him not isfp.

Well it is not that easy to explain. I could give examples & tell you that ISFPs wouldn't behave that way. But some know-it-all would jump in & say it's stereotyping. *Shrugs*

You've got an Odo avatar. You're still a nerd!

I know who Odo is, so I'm a nerd as well. Don't feel bad :glasses:

:cry:
Yeah who am I kdding. I wouldn't survive a day without reading something nerdy. :(

But hey, atleast I look good. :yes: