• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robin Williams

What Personality Type Was Robin Williams?

• Total voters

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He doesn't seem to get that. Nor does he understand the concept of compensatory extraversion.

Exactly. I know there is more to extraversion/introversion (in Jungian typology), than measuring shyness and sociability, but one can't look at a man as painfully shy and guarded as Williams and possibly rule out I. He was a master actor and impersonator. Of course he's going to look like an Exxx on the surface.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mal, you once posted that if someone misses their exit on a highway due to being lost in thought, that means the person is an N. Really, just give it up. Try knitting. Basket weaving. Try anything, but give up typology. And most of all, don't ask others "Why N?" when you don't even know what it is. Robin Williams ESTP? What exactly have you been smoking? Lol.

What do you think of Robin Williams' type?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because why? Because we're trying to type a man who did boatloads of cocaine (among other drugs) and presented a public persona completely different from his private life?

Cool, good luck with that.

No. But thanks for demonstrating your inability to read my mind.

In this analysis it is necessary to seek out the preponderance of evidence. Robin Williams is happier with people around him and draws his energy from them. Extrovert. Robin Williams is exciting, entertaining, and even in his introspective moments demonstrates a lot of spontaneity and enthusiasm. Perceptive.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. But thanks for demonstrating your inability to read my mind.

In this analysis it is necessary to seek out the preponderance of evidence. Robin Williams is happier with people around him and draws his energy from them. Extrovert. Robin Williams is exciting, entertaining, and even in his introspective moments demonstrates a lot of spontaneity and enthusiasm. Perceptive.

Boatloads of cocaine and alcohol can do that for the most introverted individuals.

He spent a good deal of his professional life under the influence.

Even many introverted celebrities who never take drugs have made an art of appearing more extraverted and energized by people. Maybe they are really energized by people, to an extent, as I am sure was the case with Robin Williams, but once the camera is off, you will often see a very different individual, as was also the case with Williams.

Trying to type him (and many celebrities, for that matter) is a pointless endeavour, as you will be typing the public image, not the actual person. You might think you've got it down to a science, and you might think you're 100% spot on, but you'll probably be wrong.

So as I said before, good luck with that.

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

His style of comedy seems more typical of an Ne-dom than an Se-dom.
From what I've seen, he had a pretty amazing talent for improv and making imaginative connections on the fly. The "grand gestures"/showmanship/"sensory flash" that the ESTP description mentions was just the surface of his act; I think his huge imagination was what made it remarkable. Se-doms can have quick and vivid imaginations as well, but from what I've noticed Se-dom comedians rely on it less and stick more to retelling what's already happened in a humorous way.

Ne-doms can be quite socially introverted, so if he actually was reserved in his private life like someone mentioned, I don't think that necessarily means he was an introvert in MBTI terms.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The type who suffered greatly from a disease of the brain and tried to hide it, the best he knew how.

If you don't have an opinion to offer as to his MBTI, then don't criticize others for offering their own.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I've seen, he had a pretty amazing talent for improv and making imaginative connections on the fly. The "grand gestures"/showmanship/"sensory flash" that the ESTP description mentions was just the surface of his act; I think his huge imagination was what made it remarkable. Se-doms can have quick and vivid imaginations as well, but from what I've noticed Se-dom comedians rely on it less and stick more to retelling what's already happened in a humorous way.

The N/S question for me is not so much imagination (as Se-doms, you would agree, definitely have vivid imaginations and can throw out some very rapid associations), but whether his view of life, society, himself, and others, was global or particular, figurative or concrete.

Ne-doms can be quite socially introverted, so if he actually was reserved in his private life like someone mentioned, I don't think that necessarily means he was an introvert in MBTI terms.

Right. People can "vibe" as introverted while being extroverts.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Let's compromise and agree on ESFP.

Jaguar

If you don't have an opinion to offer as to his MBTI, then don't criticize others for offering their own.

If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. But I will post my opinion whether you like it or not.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you don't like my opinion, ignore it. But I will post my opinion whether you like it or not.

A TOPICAL opinion. You know, like when you post something ON TOPIC to other forums such as the kind of crappy music you listen to.

Jaguar

A TOPICAL opinion. You know, like when you post something ON TOPIC to other forums such as the kind of crappy music you listen to.

DID I HURT YOUR FEELINGS? IS THAT WHAT THE CAPITAL LETTERS ARE FOR?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

ohhhhhhhh

Starry

ENTPs don't make "mother russia" jokes ad nauseum unless they are doing it ironically.

Robin Williams was an ESFJ with a cocaine problem.

I saw this over a week ago but wasn't in a position where I could respond (then it took me a while to find it again) so I'm coming into this way late but I was so happy to see this and agree wholeheartedly. I've always believed he was ESFJ but doubt I would have said it unless you had because it becomes tiring for me to go up against all the stereotypes. He's a perfect/extreme example of why we have so many mistyped ESFJs.

What I had never even secretly thought to challenge until a couple of days ago though (okay, I had never considered it before) is I don't think he was an e7 either omfg. After watching so many of these interviews and really hearing what he had to say...I now 100% believe the e7 poster child was in reality an e6w7 ( [MENTION=5418]Lady_X[/MENTION] ). This is for many reasons including he claimed in more than one interview that he didn't become the "crazy funny improv" individual until age 18 or so...that he had always been a sad, lonely child and then something clicked in him (e7 generally have the exact opposite experience of being the happy, optimistic child and paranoia/fear sets in around 18.)

^^they say that e6w7 is where most celebrities/actors fall. Sensitive...realistic child...with a connection to e3 image and image generation...once that e7 wing hits they can become whomever they wish to be to insure they are "loved and admired."

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay wow ima have to sit with that

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay wow ima have to sit with that

"I've always believed he was ESFJ but doubt I would have said it unless you had because it becomes tiring for me to go up against all the stereotypes." Since my first week on this forum, I've been witness to a conflict between those who trust "vibes" and those who use their intellects to sort out types.

Those who use their intellect are sometimes accused of stereotyping simply for bringing up behavior as typological evidence. On the other hand, those who use "vibes" offer no evidence but their vibes.