• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Captain Marvel (MCU)

Oberon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
*NT*
The minuscule amount of calcium in the pasteurized cheese technically makes it a vegetable, right?

*proceeds to eat an entire log of velvetta cheese in one sitting*

So you think Chris is hot too huh. Well he's a hack actor so enjoy it while it lasts.

BAHHHH-humbug.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
M

I've seen reviews that were too hard of Larson -- saying she seemed bored. I thought it more reasonable to think of her as a strong willed character who doesn't have any of her memories, so she remains light on the surface, mostly bravado and deflecting inquiries with humor, to hide from the inner doubt. She seems more comfortable in her own skin once she starts to remember herself.

I watched this a month or two ago. I thought she gave an enjoyable swagger, but then, I watched the wrong version of Battlestar Galactica. You also can't go wrong with a ginger tabby as one of your stars.

I also liked the fact that the Kree seemed to be more of a culture than a species (that's correct, right? I mean, some of them are blue, and others look like regular humans).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The Kree are supposed to be a race in the comics and there was an offshoot of their race that appeared more like smaller pink humans.

I was amused by the eyepatch and the post credit sequence.

Overall, the movie didn't resonate much emotionally with me. it had its fun moments.

They still don't quite know how to define what Captain Marvel can do, why she seems more powerful than other Kree (is she?), and how to control her, storywise. THey basically just locked her out of the Avengers storyline as much as possible because she was too overpowered, until Thanos finally showed up. ("The rest of the universe has problems too, and I can't do everything.")

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
The Kree are supposed to be a race in the comics and there was an offshoot of their race that appeared more like smaller pink humans.

I was amused by the eyepatch and the post credit sequence.

Overall, the movie didn't resonate much emotionally with me. it had its fun moments.

They still don't quite know how to define what Captain Marvel can do, why she seems more powerful than other Kree (is she?), and how to control her, storywise. THey basically just locked her out of the Avengers storyline as much as possible because she was too overpowered, until Thanos finally showed up. ("The rest of the universe has problems too, and I can't do everything.")

She feels a bit like a Deus Ex Machina.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
She feels a bit like a Deus Ex Machina.

Essentially, yeah -- they made her so superpowered that only Thanos really had a chance against her.

I mean, some of this is sourced from the comic, but for some reason you can get away with it easier on the page than on screen -- and typically she was in a space environment and in her Binary incarnation (like when she was punching holes through ships, it was something I think she and Phoenix could do). She does it in Endgame and basically disables Thanos so much he has only one shot left. As soon as she shows up, what was a pitched battle becomes extremely lopsided.

so yeah, I see more as a writing/plot strategy than a person per se. I did like that it wasn't clear who would win when she fought Thanos one on one. That went pretty believably, they are both wielding cosmic power and pretty much everyone else is mostly a bystander, lol.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Oh, I see.

It did everything I wanted it to do, but I don't really have any prior familiarity with the character. Hell, I got her confused with the DC Captain Marvel, which I mostly knew about because I read a novel where it was a motif.
They still don't quite know how to define what Captain Marvel can do, why she seems more powerful than other Kree (is she?), and how to control her, storywise.

Didn't it have something to do with the technology Annette Benning was working on? The ship crashed and she got caught in the energy that resulted.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, I see.

It did everything I wanted it to do, but I don't really have any prior familiarity with the character. Hell, I got her confused with the DC Captain Marvel, which I mostly knew about because I read a novel where it was a motif.

I kind of lost track of her in the last 20-30 years, but back when I was a more avid reader: SHe originally started as Captain Marvel with her Kree stuff. Then Rogue -- before she joined the X-Men, Mystique was her "adopted mom" and she became a de facto new recruit for the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, gotta love these names -- ended up blindsiding her and stealing her powers... but she stayed in contact far too long and basically absorbed not only Carol's powers but also memories permanently. So a lot of Rogue's backstory (and the reason she even went to Xavier for help in the first place) was because she had two minds in one body and couldn't sort it out, it was driving her insane. THe X-Men were not too keen on Rogue for a long while and believed it was all a trick; she proved herself over time by being willing to die to save other X-Men (Wolverine voluntarily gives her temporary access to his healing power at one point, to save her I think after a battle with Viper and Silver Samurai, due to normally fatal damage she took).

Anyway Carol has to rebuild her life as a "normal woman". She also is briefly taken away to another realm as supposedly Marcus' "willing" wife/concubine after giving birth to him -- long story, we have discussed elsewhere on this forum as one of the big story flubs Marvel has made over the years where a woman gives birth to a guy who ends up being her sexual assailant and the Avengers do nothing, thinking she is choosing all this by free will, Chris Clarement actually incorporates a huge corrective scene in the same Avengers that Rogue steals Captain Marvel's powers, where she lashes out at them for not standing up for her and how they failed her. [THe penciling and inking is great in that issue btw too -- I think it is by Michael GOlden and Terry Austin.]

Anyway, she ends up in space with the X-Men a few years later during the main Brood storyline (it might be issue #164) and basically she still has power lurking in her and her Binary persona emerges, where she can channel star energy.

I lost track of her for most of the remaining years so I'm not sure of what or who she is at the moment.

Didn't it have something to do with the technology Annette Benning was working on? The ship crashed and she got caught in the energy that resulted.

Oh. Yeah. She had Kree blood from transfusion but the mumbo-jumbo warpy drive thing blew up and instead of scattering her atoms all over or giving her cancer, she got more supahpowuhz.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why did the tesseract supercharge her but zap red skull to another dimension?