• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite 2018 Films

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What movies have I seen in theaters this year?

Black Panther
Red Sparrow
Solo
En El Septimo Dia
Vice
The Favourite

I feel like there must be others, although I can't remember. I liked all of them. Too lazy to rank them or assign them points on the scale. I will say that I thought Rogue One and The Last Jedi were better than Solo.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched First Man. Liked it, dunno if I'd watch it again. It's a bit more introspective than Apollo 13 (for example) and has a lot of cuts across from incident to incident. There's some pathos early on, but it's still always powerful when they're approaching the moon and preparing to land. I feel more from just thinking about the moon program, realizing how many accidents/injuries/deaths there were, seeing how the culture reacted and how some people and those in congress were opposed to it as a waste or misprioritization of money... and yet somehow we still managed to proceed and actually accomplish it on technology that was so less advanced than today's -- I mean, they didn't KNOW they would succeed if they just persevered, so it was always risky, although a lot of the various stages were tested before Apollo 11 touched down (I mean, I think it was Apollo 8 or 9 where they actually did some orbits around the moon.... so it wasn't like they did the whole leap over to the moon and landed in one shot, each stage was tested.) Ultimately, the whole thing is just amazing. Although, like I said, the film is more confused on Armstrong and his personal concerns with family and friends.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw "Boy Erased" this weekend, it's out on Redbox.

I was kinda disappointed, honestly. It's an okay watch (although it might feel a bit bewildering and incomprehensible to those not familiar with Baptist/evangelical subculture and these kinds of reparative ministries -- maybe LIA as portrayed has a few extreme moments in the film but it all actually falls within realistic parameters for how these ministries operate), the problem is that as a film it feels more like it's got a message that dominates rather than being a story. IOW, the whole point of the film is to tell kids it's okay to figure out what your sexuality is without guilt, tell parents that your kids are more important than your ideology and if you don't embrace that you could lose them, and that reparative therapy for minors is abusive and should be banned. In the process, it takes itself very seriously and tries to become awards bait. It wants to win over the mainstream.

These aren't bad things, but I'll say I also saw "The Miseducation of Cameron Post" and prefer it as a film at least in terms of nuance of character, willingness to embrace ambiguity, and feel like I was watching real live people figure out their lives. "Boy Erased" is more of a morality play of sorts, even if I happen to agree with the ideas presented.

Another oddity is that the only homosexual act shown on screen essentially

I'll contrast that to Cameron Post, where the film literally opens with Cameron having a mutual encounter with her girlfriend that feels MUCH different (it feels positive and evokes the same feelings regardless of same-sex or opposite-sex, it feels "normal"), which leads to her betting busted. So Cameron never dealt with that aspect, she knows who and what she is, but she's trying to simply survive the facility her parents have dumped her in.

There's one other past "love" of Jarrod's that is shown -- Xavier -- and

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm adding "Eighth Grade" to the list. I saw it on DVD with the Director's commentary. It's a character driven film about a nerdy INTP eighth grader trying to fit in. There is much humor in the awkward situations. The actress did an amazing job in this.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw Widows over the weekend. Interestingly, I think the only review I had skimmed was kind of critical of this film -- and when I saw it, I really liked it, and then I saw many of the reviews were actually more positive (so I'm not sure what this reviewer was upset about).

Basic gist (not much of a spoiler) is that a thief gang is all wiped up during a heist-gone-bad. The widow of the leader is left on the hook (underground) for the money not received. She pulls together the other widows and they decide to run a heist themselves to get the money AND cover their own futures. While this sounds like "girls stealing stuff" along the Ocean 8 theme, it's definitely not like that film at all in terms of tone -- these are women who are NOT experienced robbers, and the film is a drama/thriller, and it's more about their moxie and self-determination than a cool fun caper they're pulling off. There's also some really dark violent moments in the film, there's a lot that can leave you on edge.

Viola Davis as the "head widow" has the most dramatic moments, and there's some good ones here -- it's clear why she got cast, she can nail these parts and sell the film. But really interesting in terms of all the other women, especially Elizabeth Debicki (maybe you'll recognize her from playing the golden Princess Ayeshi in GotG vol 2 -- she's model-gorgeous and stunningly tall ... 6'3"). Cynthia Erivo is pretty new to films I think, but boy was she fierce and her body pumped.. she's got an impressive, compact physique and could be scary in a fight. During the film they are each given particular challenges to overcome, and while not having much skill, they quickly learn to use what they DO have to pull things off as best as they can. I love how they are each different body shapes, sizes, and capabilities. There were also moments I was like, "but what about..." and then the film answered my question in some way; I appreciate that level of thoughtfulness in a script.

I think the film can confuse people looking for a clear genre / through-path. Is it a crime drama? is it a heist / caper film? Is it a sadistic gang film? political thriller? I couldn't really place a genre on it myself per se, and I think that is Steve McQueen branding right there... he's fine with mixing various genres together or doing things "off template." What I think it comes down to in the end is about women taking care of the messes they are left with and finding ways to support each other even when they're at odds, as much as possible... the women don't necessarily get along very well nor are they connected over the long term, but they are each looking for a way to clean up their own individual messes their dead husbands left them with and they create a "professional" relationship with each other, although personal drama can sometimes creep back in. I really didn't know how the movie would end or who would be where by the story's completion, which I think is a good thing. There's a lot of injustice in the system, though, and it feels like if these women don't take care of themselves, no one will -- no one gives a shit about them otherwise.

The film has great editing in its first ten minutes, I love the cuts. Also, this film might have one of the best explosions i think I've seen in a film in recent years.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Saw Widows over the weekend. Interestingly, I think the only review I had skimmed was kind of critical of this film -- and when I saw it, I really liked it, and then I saw many of the reviews were actually more positive (so I'm not sure what this reviewer was upset about).

Basic gist (not much of a spoiler) is that a thief gang is all wiped up during a heist-gone-bad. The widow of the leader is left on the hook (underground) for the money not received. She pulls together the other widows and they decide to run a heist themselves to get the money AND cover their own futures. While this sounds like "girls stealing stuff" along the Ocean 8 theme, it's definitely not like that film at all in terms of tone -- these are women who are NOT experienced robbers, and the film is a drama/thriller, and it's more about their moxie and self-determination than a cool fun caper they're pulling off. There's also some really dark violent moments in the film, there's a lot that can leave you on edge.

Viola Davis as the "head widow" has the most dramatic moments, and there's some good ones here -- it's clear why she got cast, she can nail these parts and sell the film. But really interesting in terms of all the other women, especially Elizabeth Debicki (maybe you'll recognize her from playing the golden Princess Ayeshi in GotG vol 2 -- she's model-gorgeous and stunningly tall ... 6'3"). Cynthia Erivo is pretty new to films I think, but boy was she fierce and her body pumped.. she's got an impressive, compact physique and could be scary in a fight. During the film they are each given particular challenges to overcome, and while not having much skill, they quickly learn to use what they DO have to pull things off as best as they can. I love how they are each different body shapes, sizes, and capabilities. There were also moments I was like, "but what about..." and then the film answered my question in some way; I appreciate that level of thoughtfulness in a script.

I think the film can confuse people looking for a clear genre / through-path. Is it a crime drama? is it a heist / caper film? Is it a sadistic gang film? political thriller? I couldn't really place a genre on it myself per se, and I think that is Steve McQueen branding right there... he's fine with mixing various genres together or doing things "off template." What I think it comes down to in the end is about women taking care of the messes they are left with and finding ways to support each other even when they're at odds, as much as possible... the women don't necessarily get along very well nor are they connected over the long term, but they are each looking for a way to clean up their own individual messes their dead husbands left them with and they create a "professional" relationship with each other, although personal drama can sometimes creep back in. I really didn't know how the movie would end or who would be where by the story's completion, which I think is a good thing. There's a lot of injustice in the system, though, and it feels like if these women don't take care of themselves, no one will -- no one gives a shit about them otherwise.

The film has great editing in its first ten minutes, I love the cuts. Also, this film might have one of the best explosions i think I've seen in a film in recent years.

This movie could easily be dismissed as a "female" reboot of a heist/caper film but I'm happy that more and more people are finding out it isn't. Viola Davis can lead a film as well as anyone but I like her specifically because her versatility isn't limited - she can be the stereotypical housekeeper in the Jim Crow south, she isn't shying away from doing films about women and strong black women. I'm interested in her newest - The Woman King about the African kingdom of Dahomey - too.

Generally the same people complaining about female reboots, also assume to be an authority on how many black stories should be made into films but I think those voices are losing their volume as well.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Not a big fan of horror but Hereditary was wild as hell and I enjoyed it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Did anyone see Truth or Dare? Surprised it's not on this list, lol.

By the way, Greta looks like the Truth or Dare of 2019. (That, or Alita: Battle Angel.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Buster Scruggs was a damn lot of fun.

I second this. :cowboy:

What was your favorite segment? I think I liked Tom Waits as a prospector the best, followed by "The Gal Who Got Rattled."

I liked the mortal remains and the artist. They were all so good. Its hard to pick favorites but those are my averaged top two. Your selections are fantastic as well.

"Meal Ticket"

That was definitely a gut punch.

I've watched the first three.

Beautiful cinematography and yes, very much fun.

I think i liked Meal Ticket the most so far but it was the closest to an actual dramatic arc so far; still not sure how I feel about the ending, which is more like a shock ending, versus the style of the rest of the bit that actually had dramatic texture to it. It will probably keep crawling back into my brain though.

THe bit with James Franco as the bank robber? It felt like it should have been twice as long -- I would have liked to see another iteration or two, just to elevate it to zany new heights, and then with a real ending of some kind. ;)

---

Update: Finished it all.

Most of it felt more like "snapshots" and "scenes" rather than stories per se. I guess a few of the vignettes are based on actual published short stories (like by Jack London). Meal Ticket was probably the most self-contained actual story -- it actually followed through its theme to the end and was cohesive. While I enjoyed the interactions in some of the others (including mortal remains and girl who got rattled), they did not feel like self-contained stories ... things just happened but there didn't seem to be an overarcing through-plot so everything felt satisfyingly concluded, it was just "stuff that happened" and then the vignette just ends.

Last edited:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i really enjoyed the movie as a whole, but when i saw this ending in theaters it left me shaking and crying. i had the same reaction to when the levees broke. spike lee can be hit or miss, but he really has a gift for documentary film.
*spoilers*

Jaguar

Finally saw Green Book. Loved it. That more quality films are not being made is disappointing but 2018 was better than usual.