• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite 2018 Films

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
black panther was good, not quite as good as some the hype would suggest, but maybe I'd enjoy it more if I had been up to date on the MCU. It just feels like homework to get caught up on those films though.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only 2018 movies I've seen (I think) are Winchester and Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Winchester was okay, but nowhere near as good a ghost story as (for example) The Others or The Devil's Backbone.

And I 100% loved Tom Waits' vignette in Buster Scruggs ("It went straight through and didn't cause any significant damage!"), and "meal ticket" was okay, but the rest of it didn't do much for me. I didn't even finish watching it. It felt like mostly icing (the Coen Bros' style, which I've seen enough that it no longer holds me enthrall on its own) on little cake. I typically like the Coen Bros and I think maybe with the short stories there wasn't really much time to unpack any of the characters enough to relate to them.

VILLANELLE

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!, A Simple Favor, Oceans 8, A Star is Born and Crazy Rich Asians did it for me this year.
i Also saw Mission Impossible and it was fucking fun!

Tomb1

The fight/action scenes in Mission Impossible were actually really good....not quite on par with the violence of John Wick 2 (2017) or the hard-boiled realism of Red Sparrow but much better than, say, the Fast and Furious (Fate of the Furious actually put me to sleep). Equalizer 2 and Deadpool 2 cleaned things up too much for my liking....both characters killed with more ruthlessness in the originals.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Movies in the cinema in my place are often a few months later and so I liked this year the most two 2017 films "I, Tonya" and "The Disaster Artist".

But about 2018 films I liked the most "A star is born". Number two would be "Roma". I enjoyed also watching "Bohemian Rhapsody", new "Avengers" and "First man" (although I had a feeling authors were playing on my emotions with too much of premeditation in this last one). I am disappointed with "Cold war"- it's well made , but I don't really understand the enthusiastic response it got, I think that previous movie"Ida" was better.

I cried watching A Star Is Born Normally I don't like sad moviea.

Me too. And it made me slightly uncomfortable because I don't like crying in front of people.
I liked it a lot despite it's a melodrama. Music is very good and there was good chemistry between main characters. For the debut bravo to Bradley Cooper

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Movies in the cinema in my place are often a few months later and so I liked this year the most two 2017 films "I, Tonya" and "The Disaster Artist".

But about 2018 films I liked the most "A star is born". Number two would be "Roma". I enjoyed also watching "Bohemian Rhapsody", new "Avengers" and "First man" (although I had a feeling authors were playing on my emotions with too much of premeditation in this last one). I am disappointed with "Cold war"- it's well made , but I don't really understand the enthusiastic response it got, I think that previous movie"Ida" was better.

Me too. And it made me slightly uncomfortable because I don't like crying in front of people.
I liked it a lot despite it's a melodrama. Music is very good and there was good chemistry between main characters. For the debut bravo to Bradley Cooper

I liked First Man and I, Tonya as well.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
eighth grade was probably my favorite, i saw it in theaters twice!
i loved hereditary, blackkklansman, sorry to bother you, blindspotting. i watched isle of dogs the other night and liked it a lot. a star is born was corny, but good.

next on my list that i haven't seen is roma.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
next on my list that i haven't seen is roma.

I started to watch this a week ago and got bored out of my mind with the artsy photography at the beginning, so I stopped watching it

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ready Player One is probably my favorite film of 2018 followed closely by Peppermint.

2nd Tier: The Incredibles 2, Ralph Breaks the Internet, and Spiderman were all enjoyable.

3rd Tier: Infinity War and Dead Pool 2 were entertaining but slightly disappointing because of high expectations.

4th Tier: A Star is Born wasn't a complete waste of time, but it was depressing.

Ready Player One and Incredibles 2 were awesome. I forgot about those.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I started to watch this a week ago and got bored out of my mind with the artsy photography at the beginning, so I stopped watching it

i enjoy art, so that shouldn't be a problem for me :alttongue:

Kas

Fabula rasa

There is little of action in Roma. Cuaron before tried to put emphasis on photography and atmosphere (though unsuccessfully imo) in Gravity. In Roma I see rather influences of Bergman.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Some of my favorites this year were probably "Thoroughbreds" and "Isle Of Dogs". I'm not a fan of movies, but I'm actually tempted to add Isle Of Dogs to my collection. I think "Liz and The Bluebird" might have also come out this year? Don't know if I'd call it my favorite movie, but it's soundtrack was gorgeous.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did finish Into the Spider-verse -- I think it was definitely a breath of fresh air, innovative, meaningful, enjoyable. But it didn't really emotionally resonate afterwards with me. Like, I'd watch it again with friends and maybe on occasion as something with cool animation and because it wasn't vapid; it's just not in that list of films that I will regularly rewatch because I feel it is connecting me to or engulfing me in something huge/powerful.

i had one reviewer I respect name it his favorite movie of the year, which I don't get, even if it's one of the better things I've seen this year. I'll read his review again later.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been starved for good movies. I have seen plenty that felt satisfying enough to not deem them wastes of time, but none that made any lasting impact on me.

But I just watched Alpha.

I loved it, and not just because it's about a wolf.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just watched "A Star is Born." I also learned that this is the fourth iteration of the concept w/ same title. (I was only aware of the 70's version.)

I actually liked it, although the funny thing -- there were enough jumps in the timeline that I had trouble feeling a gradual emotional arc, instead certain scenes were just powerful. But despite that, the last 15 minutes actually left me crying, which I didn't expect. It was more bittersweet/sad to me, not depressing... well, aside from some of the impact scenes from substance abuse, because of the issues with my father growing up.

I have read about all the folks who might have directed and/or starred in this latest version over the last eight years, and I think we got one of the best worlds out of this remake -- some of the others would have been unmemorable at best and godawful at worst; there was some real pathos here, and while there weren't any moments where you think "OMG the directing is so amazing," the reality is that the scenes all do breathe effortlessly, so a nice first movie by Bradley Cooper. I liked his persona as an actor here too, the way he changes how he moves and his voice tone. And he did a decent enough singing job. (That's another one of my issues with "musical" movies -- sometimes, like in LaLa Land, the singers can't sing or at least not enough to create the emotion the movie pretends they are generating; the music here was enjoyable / heartfelt.)

rav3n

Didn't bother with many movies last year but of the few, these were enjoyable:

Ready Player One (it was surprisingly appealing)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Rami Malik was outstanding as Mercury)
Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther (it was entertaining as a fun adventure but after all the hype about how it addresses social issues, that aspect was a shallow take)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Saw Disobedience today, based on a book from 2006. It was decent (with Weisz, McAdams, and I think the guy's last name is Nicola -- hilariously, the last time I saw him was in a very different role in Face/Off, that might have been his first film; I actually recognized him) in terms of acting and dramatic arc, although it's underplayed for most of it. Most people probably focus on the same-sex relationship but that's not really the focus of the film -- I saw it more based on trying to find oneself within a rigid worldview, and perils/problems involved with that, leading to some really big decisions by at least two of the characters. I liked how the film treated everyone kindly even if it did lean in a particular direction, but coming from my religious background it was particularly resonant (not to mention dealing with the death of an estranged father and whether you can ever find some peace / was there ever any unspoken reconciliation on its way?)

Hoping to see First Man here + some of the others I mentioned. It's taking forever to slog through the films that released late in the year, since some aren't really out on home video yet.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched Blindspotting last night. Damn.

One nice thing -- it's a cool and breezy 95 minutes (compared to some of these 2+ hour flicks I still need to watch).

I forgot that Daveed Diggs originated Lafayette and Jefferson in the Broadway "Hamilton" -- eventually his voice clicked for you.

This movie jerked me straight into it and is one of those rare films that can shift from hilarious to nerve-wrackingly serious in the space of a few seconds, then back again, pretty effortlessly. I seriously was laughing out loud throughout this entire movie -- and then I would get bitchslapped by one of the deathly serious moments that is capable of arresting one's heart in mid-track. It has a great way to dropping you into the shoes of the protagonists and get a feel for how on edge and even hopeless certain situations can feel. As a commentary involving race, it felt more honed and "to the point" than "sorry to bother you" (which has its moments too but felt a little ambling).

It's also a film that demands repeated viewings to pick up all the banter, there's a lot of lines (most funny) that you might miss if you are not locked into the viewing.

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
This year with 2018 production a few movies get a score 10/10 from me.

Ant-Man and the Wasp
The Meg
Hurricane Heist
The Avengers: Infinite War