• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vintage Clothes

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone else enjoy vintage clothes? Partly because I shop mostly at thrift/antique stores, and partly because I'm oblivious to linear time, I have accidentally ended up with a really fun vintage clothing collection. I was wondering if anyone else relates! We can post pics and such.

I could be a 60's rocker if I wanted to, but I end up not wearing my stuff as much as I'd like because I just teach piano lessons and don't get to do much else that's interesting enough.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I dress anywhere from 1840's style - 1930's mostly, with a few modern touches. A lady friend once coined my style as Time Lord Chic...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here are some of mine...

Attachments

• Vintage Blue Dress.jpg
    Vintage Blue Dress.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 118

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I was inspired by a friend's recent artistic photoshoot upload. I've been wanting to get into artistic photography modeling for ages and have a few ideas spinning around. I think it's time to look in new places for old things.

I got this cropped lace blouse from an antique store for $12 and I love it over a simple black tank.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I absolutely love the aesthetic of the 1950s and some 1940s. I don't have any vintage pieces, though that isn't because I never looked, but because what's out there that I tend to want is too small. I do have a collection (in storage) of knitting/crochet patterns from then, and have made myself and others items from the 40s - 60s.

Pics of what I've made from older patterns:

View attachment 20951
View attachment 20952
View attachment 20953
View attachment 20954
View attachment 20955
View attachment 20956
View attachment 20957

Cloaks, dusters, military frock coats, a nice black leather trench coat. A silver pocket watch (not clothing but I love antique pocket watches and I am a much bigger fan of silver than gold). Various hats and all manner of boots. Absolutely. I’d probably be dressing in clothes from any century but this one. People used to have such style!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone else enjoy vintage clothes? Partly because I shop mostly at thrift/antique stores, and partly because I'm oblivious to linear time, I have accidentally ended up with a really fun vintage clothing collection. I was wondering if anyone else relates! We can post pics and such.

I could be a 60's rocker if I wanted to, but I end up not wearing my stuff as much as I'd like because I just teach piano lessons and don't get to do much else that's interesting enough.
I get most of my clothes in thrift stores, too, mostly because the styles I like are hard to find in regular stores, or expensive. None of this is particularly interesting, though. Mostly cotton turtlenecks, cardigan and pullover sweaters, corduroy pants. I seldom wear skirts or dresses, but when I do I like them at least mid-calf length and not cut narrow, because I take long steps and I like to keep my legs warm and won't wear tights/stockings. This rules out most of what is in stores now, plus the fabrics are so flimsy and uncomfortable. I have made myself dresses in this style when I cannot find them to buy:
dr2503v1%2060s%20baby%20blue%20semi%20sheer%20shirtwaist%20dress-%20eyelet%20bodice.jpg

I suppose this is as close to true vintage as I get.

The Cat

Staff member
One of many...

Shoes:

Socks:

Jeans:

under shirt:

Over shirt:

Vest:

Tie:

Coat:

Hat:

Glasses:

The Cat

Staff member
Cloaks, dusters, military frock coats, a nice black leather trench coat. A silver pocket watch (not clothing but I love antique pocket watches and I am a much bigger fan of silver than gold). Various hats and all manner of boots. Absolutely. I’d probably be dressing in clothes from any century but this one. People used to have such style!

This guy gets it!

rav3n

The closest I get to vintage clothing is a few formal cheongsam dresses that used to be my mother's. They're custom tailored and hand sewn. An example is one that's handmade lace shot with silver thread, over a silk shift. They're reserved for more formal occasions.

Neal Caffreynated

Artist/Playboy/Traveller
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like buying clothes in vintage stores especially jackets (like army, leather, bomber or suit jackets) :smoke:

Its really cool because you can find high quality clothes or expensive brands at a reasonable price and you won’t end up with the same clothes than everybody else.

I also bought 1930s clothes for a Prohibition-era party once, it was fun ;)

My favorite era of vintage clothing is from the late '60s to mid-'70s. I also have a thing for UK '80s indie and the general '90s alternative. Plus vintage band tees. I don't necessarily go out of my way to look out for specifics from those decades, but I do have a preference to dress with a modicum of those eras stylistically. However, my sister jokes that I look like a walking stereotype from the '90s, and at other times, a '70s male rock star. Not sure if the '90s counts as totally vintage though, especially since the style seems very prevalent in today's youth. If I had to pick a few fashion idols of mine, I'd say Patti Smith and Stevie Nicks would be who I look up to the most stylistically. I don't dress exactly like them, but I model little tidbits here and there that make up who they are as a person, I guess. More bohemian and witchy with some added punk and glam elements. But there are days I'm lazy and just wear whatever too, usually when I'm going through a period of low spirits.

A few examples of my favorite clothing items:

This is one my favorite items that I own. It's what I deem my “1970s black magician/rock star" kimono. (Also, the model in the pic is not me. :p)

And I have a few awesome '90s/'70s styled platform boots, one in particular is a vintage gothy black velvet boot from the '90s. They're these bad boys:

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Vintage clothes are my favorite, though most of the stuff I own are modern reproductions of vintage styles. I do own a few truly vintage items though.

Hellena Handbasket

Daywalker
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a lot of 30s, 40s and 50s inspired clothes. Some ive bought, some ive had made. Vintage stores and places like ModCloth and Shabby Apple are good places to find stuff.
I love victorian clothing but it isn't practical. But I do love a pair of lace gloves.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I like Gothic Victorian inspired looks, Renaissance style (Ren Fair style to be exact, not the true renaissance timeframe), and Edwardian, Victorian, and early 1900's styles. I also like vintage Japanese Kimonos and newer Yukatas.

I have amassed a humble collection of these items, less of the Victorian inspired ones than I'd like though to be honest.

I have some vintage pajamas that I wear when I travel, because they're warm, comfy, and fully covering. I wear a nightcap here out of practicality people seem to love when they see it.
I have some vintage-knock-off dresses that I got really cheap.
I buy fur coats second hand which takes any outfit up a notch.
I usually wear kimonos and yukatas around the house. Robes are so comfy for lounging in, and the silk keeps you so warm and soft in the winter. Etsy has an amazing store in Japan selling 60's and 70's coats, kimonos, and obis for cheap as can be. I got an entire outfit for $20 that cannot be beat.