• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Golden Globes 2019

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, here's this:
Golden Globes 2019: The full list of nominees

Surprised by some of the nominations...or at least what is missing. Some of the list seems to just be the popularized choices, although I'm glad to see "The Favourite" has a number of noms. There were great films + performances that didn't get any attention, and others that just seem surprising (like Vice). Makes you wonder how hard the choosers tried to see a good cross-section of films. I feel like I still have about 10-15 films I want to see from this year, some of which are just coming out.

Golden Globes 2019: The biggest snubs and surprises in film | EW.com

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
10 movies that don't deserve their Golden Globe nominations this year — sorry

Interesting.
CHANGE MY MIND

I definitely want to see the Melissa McCarthy role people are talking about, but Toni Collette really did go way above and beyond in Hereditary. Great actress.

----

I haven't seen all the films mentioned yet, but I was a little "eh" on this year's overlooked vs what was picked.

Even "Best Picture" as a category has unclear criteria, honestly. Are we shooting for the highest-quality film, or a film that lots of people have seen and enjoyed even if not at the pinnacle of filmmaking, or some combination thereof? I was kind of surprised to see Bohemian Rhapsody in this list, for example -- I will see it at some point, but the consensus (without much argument) is that Rami Malek nailed this role and deserves a nod, but the film itself isn't in the top releases of the year.

But sometimes we then get films that seem to be more esoteric than appreciated. Like when "The Artist" black and white won the 2011 Oscar. Who the hell even saw that, and does anyone even want to? It's like "Hugo" -- one of the most appropriate 3D films out there (out of all the films released on 3D), great performances, etc., but I was mostly untouched by it and don't really care to rewatch.

Releasing films at the latest part of the year isn't great either, as far as these "assessments" go. People end up voting only on films they've seen. How do they scale this stuff? I know the press screens films early, sure, but a straight vote count should really be filtered through some kind of composite rating, you'd think. Some films don't get the love they deserve, other films get too much attention and it's also all tied into marketing + the studio's push for awards season.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
That's Hollywoo for you...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
10 movies that don't deserve their Golden Globe nominations this year — sorry

Interesting.
CHANGE MY MIND

I definitely want to see the Melissa McCarthy role people are talking about, but Toni Collette really did go way above and beyond in Hereditary. Great actress.

----

I haven't seen all the films mentioned yet, but I was a little "eh" on this year's overlooked vs what was picked.

Even "Best Picture" as a category has unclear criteria, honestly. Are we shooting for the highest-quality film, or a film that lots of people have seen and enjoyed even if not at the pinnacle of filmmaking, or some combination thereof? I was kind of surprised to see Bohemian Rhapsody in this list, for example -- I will see it at some point, but the consensus (without much argument) is that Rami Malek nailed this role and deserves a nod, but the film itself isn't in the top releases of the year.

But sometimes we then get films that seem to be more esoteric than appreciated. Like when "The Artist" black and white won the 2011 Oscar. Who the hell even saw that, and does anyone even want to? It's like "Hugo" -- one of the most appropriate 3D films out there (out of all the films released on 3D), great performances, etc., but I was mostly untouched by it and don't really care to rewatch.

Releasing films at the latest part of the year isn't great either, as far as these "assessments" go. People end up voting only on films they've seen. How do they scale this stuff? I know the press screens films early, sure, but a straight vote count should really be filtered through some kind of composite rating, you'd think. Some films don't get the love they deserve, other films get too much attention and it's also all tied into marketing + the studio's push for awards season.

I'm going to see Can You Ever Forgive Me this weekend but as far as best actress in a drama, I didn't see Destroyer but I saw all the others. I don't think Glen Close actually deserved it. She was good but not that good. Rosamund Pike actually was that good, amazing but the movie itself wasn't as much as it could have been.

I don't like the push at the end of the year - like were idiots and can't remember a good movie/role 5 months down the road. And marketing is a huge thing. I remember Black Snake Moan. Good move with horrible marketing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
weird outcomes.

Some of them were totally expected. Others were frankly unexpected and seemingly misguided, they're kind of left-field. (of course, I was feeling like some of the nominations were also a little weird.) The Kominsky Method?

Does anyone know who votes on these? I don't feel like Googling around, I need to go to bed. But just wondering how the decisions were made.

I will say I did get to see about 20 minutes of "Roma" today and only stopped because I just wasn't in the mood for another 2 hours of a drama movie, with other things to do today. But damn, it's lovely -- filmed in black and white, and Cuaron just takes his time (which is why the movie is so damn long, lol) in panning the camera, letting scenes breathe, etc. There's this slow pan of the patio where clothes are being hung to dry, and one of the pairs of socks is occasionally dripping during the slow pan. It's so beautiful and the film seems rife with this kind of organic detail, but it's also emphasizing the lives of the hired help and the labor of their efforts... So I am happy to watch the rest of the film. it's got that level of detail and craftsmanship he showed in "Gravity" among other things. I really feel like I am watching real people in their real lives, invisibly.

I'm also glad that "Incredibles 2" did not win best animated feature, because frankly it wasn't nearly as good as Ralph 2 or Spiderman (although I'm only partway through Spidey right now).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
weird outcomes.

Some of them were totally expected. Others were frankly unexpected and seemingly misguided, they're kind of left-field. (of course, I was feeling like some of the nominations were also a little weird.) The Kominsky Method?

Does anyone know who votes on these? I don't feel like Googling around, I need to go to bed. But just wondering how the decisions were made.

I will say I did get to see about 20 minutes of "Roma" today and only stopped because I just wasn't in the mood for another 2 hours of a drama movie, with other things to do today. But damn, it's lovely -- filmed in black and white, and Cuaron just takes his time (which is why the movie is so damn long, lol) in panning the camera, letting scenes breathe, etc. There's this slow pan of the patio where clothes are being hung to dry, and one of the pairs of socks is occasionally dripping during the slow pan. It's so beautiful and the film seems rife with this kind of organic detail, but it's also emphasizing the lives of the hired help and the labor of their efforts... So I am happy to watch the rest of the film. it's got that level of detail and craftsmanship he showed in "Gravity" among other things. I really feel like I am watching real people in their real lives, invisibly.

I'm also glad that "Incredibles 2" did not win best animated feature, because frankly it wasn't nearly as good as Ralph 2 or Spiderman (although I'm only partway through Spidey right now).

It was weird, I kept saying that throughout. Not necessarily in a bad way, some of it was weirdly great. I always liked the far less formal vibe the GG has vs the Oscars anyway. The GG winners are chosen by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. I was also happy to hear they are granting $1 million each to Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and one million to InsideClimate News (ICN). They absolutely should be supporting investigative journalism, especially legal assistance to journalist anywhere in the world.

Sandra Oh. Her opening speech was fantastic. More of this please, give the current environment and attempts at suppression of women, POC and anyone outside of "normal" no quarter. And winning a globe for Killing Eve wasn't bad either.

Glen Close. I watched The Wife on a flight, half going, half on the way home. Although I thought a couple roles were better, I was good with her winning. I was very good with what she had to say as a woman and actor.

Christian Bale. :happy0065: I expected him to win. I wasn't sure that he would say anything like what he said. Beautiful.

Mahershala Ali. I didn't see Green Book and I'm not sure what the controversy is but I thought his speech towards the family of Don Shirley was quite sensitive. As far as what the film portrayed, I don't think people are very quick to whitewash what the south was and still is to a degree so that argument will quickly fizzle. And we get to see him in True Detective very soon.

Netflix, FX, Showtime, HBO. I loved The Assassination of Gianni Versace, Escape at Dannemora and Sharp Objects. I want more and wins help guarantee it.

Olivia Colman. This is a great actress I have seen in a gazillion things and loved that she views all of this as a fun journey.

A Star Is Born, BlacKkKlansman, Black Panther - I'm hoping these do better at the Oscars.

Roma: Have watched about 15 minutes. Will finish this week.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, I heard Glenn Close gave a really great bang-up speech regardless of her surprise victory. It also seemed to be a big night for Oh, both in her award plus her comments.

Can't wait to see Ali in TD Season 3.

I finished half of Sharp Objects and keep getting distracted by other shows, but I really need to finish it.