• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are there any gamers on the forum?

Lark

Are there any gamers on the forum? I know that there are some AD&D players but I was wondering about gamers in the broadest possible sense too, like consoles, PC gamer, micro-computers, retro or current, what's your favourite game? Do you follow any Twitch gamers or youtube gamers?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm one of the AD&D players, but I play the old-fashioned table-top version. Never did online gaming of any sort. I also enjoy board games like scrabble, pictionary, taboo, balderdash, etc.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I play WoW on and off. Haven't bought the new expansion or resubbed. SO is playing the new expansion.

SO and I play team Smash Bros a lot online. We also play most of the Zeldas, where he fights stuff and I figure out where to go next.

My favorite game experience ever is Zelda: Windwaker. There's just something about that graphics, the open seas, and the kiddy-ness of the thing. Plus, the excellent 'people' quests -- where you have go to talk to people and pay attention and not just 'A' through everything.

And, when I'm brain-dead I waste time swiping CandyCrush candies around like the rest of the world.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Regularly play tabletop RPGs (mostly 5e nowadays, although I played a lot of WoD, Aberrant, Pathfinder, AD&D, and occasionally a test run of a new game). I remember being enamored with TSR's "Top Secret" back in the early 80's.

I'm currently playing WoW online, but I've done extended stints on SWTOR, Rift, City of Heroes, The Secret World, and Tera.

Offline, I have played Civilization, Need for Speed, most Infocom text games, Walking Dead, Left for Dead, Doom, Quake, Hexen, Quest for Glory, Wizardry, Ultima, Grim Fandango, Kings Quest, Dragon Age series, Diablo, Black and White, etc.

I play Quiddler, Scattergories, Boggle, Monopoly, Risk, Stratego, Uno, RummyQ, and other similar board games.

I quit Candy Crush fairly quickly, it was too dangerous. :D One of my friends got sucked into that game and never came out!

Outdoors, I played tennis for a number of years. Also like Ultimate Frisbee and Frisbee golf. And Miniature golf.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Anymore I am loath to affiliate myself with the term but yes.

Lark

I'm one of the AD&D players, but I play the old-fashioned table-top version. Never did online gaming of any sort. I also enjoy board games like scrabble, pictionary, taboo, balderdash, etc.

Which edition? I've been collecting second edition for a while now, I really like them, I dont like some of the more recent editions.

What's your view about the changes in the character classes more recently which have the chaos and evil aligned and lawful and good aligned but doesnt permit lawful evil or chaotic good alignments? Also do you think its possible that Paladins can exist in anything other than lawful good class?

I got a copy of the 2nd edition Paladin book recently, there's a section on personality and I love the cynical or tormented personality types.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
What is ADnD?

I’ve played A LOT of DnD. I hate it except for 5th ed which is SO much fun.
Played GURPS I think was worse, but I only played ut once so it may have been the GM, and players.

I think my favorite system is something called F.A.T.E. It’s light in rules heavy on action and a lot of fun. Simetimes rediculous.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been playing video games since my grandfather introduced me to Super Mario Bros. on his NES. My two favorite games are Xenosaga Episode III and Final Fantasy IX. Other favorites of mine include Paper Mario, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy 1-10, Persona 3 & 4 & 5, Kingdom Hearts I & II, the entire Xenosaga series, Shin Megami Tensei II and III, the Dragon Quest series, EarthBound, Mother 3, and the main entries of the Pokemon series. In general, I like RPGs. I used to do tabletop RPGs, but my group fell apart.

Lark

What is ADnD?

I’ve played A LOT of DnD. I hate it except for 5th ed which is SO much fun.
Played GURPS I think was worse, but I only played ut once so it may have been the GM, and players.

I think my favorite system is something called F.A.T.E. It’s light in rules heavy on action and a lot of fun. Simetimes rediculous.

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, I hate the 5th ed, although I'll be honest that I'm a bigger fan of story telling and the earlier focus on that (or so I think) as opposed to numbers, number grids, all that sort of stuff.

I personally play fighting fantasy books more than DnD as it was kind of what was available in the UK, one of the principle authors of GURPS I think was one of the big FF authors, there were two, and one of them went on to create Warhammer, Warcraft, WoW, all of that, I think he may have sold his share in all of it now.

FF itself is a big collecting scene now and a lot of the books are ridiculously priced and difficult to get, I really wish they'd just republish all of them, it would have been bigger if it hadnt been for the fact that they launched their last big drive for sales simultaneous to NES becoming popular in the UK and console gaming making its own come back. Totally eclipsed reading.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is ADnD?

Not sure if poking fun at us oldbies or what, :D but...

When the game first released, there was D&D (which had the basic and expert boxed set) and then the hardcover version of the game which was called AD&D and is what the product most resembles now since it typically releases as hardcover books.

I guess when the 3rd edition came out they just reduced the name to D&D, but the old farts continue to interchangeably use AD&D since that's how we were introduced to the game.

I just played this game called "Monster of the Week" over the holiday, it's by the same company (evil Hat productions) that made FATE and was also pretty easy to play -- i really enjoyed it. You just get a character template that you can specialize a bit that determines your group role,and you only need to roll 2d6. Mechanics are very easy.

Lark

Anyone who has an Amazon Prime account I highly recommend you check out Indie Game: The Movie, its really good so far, I'll update with news of any other good gaming documentaries I find. Its going to be my thing for the next while I've decided.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which edition? I've been collecting second edition for a while now, I really like them, I dont like some of the more recent editions.

What's your view about the changes in the character classes more recently which have the chaos and evil aligned and lawful and good aligned but doesnt permit lawful evil or chaotic good alignments? Also do you think its possible that Paladins can exist in anything other than lawful good class?

I got a copy of the 2nd edition Paladin book recently, there's a section on personality and I love the cynical or tormented personality types.
My husband acts as our DM, and has done quite a bit of customizing over the years. We started with 2nd ed, then he incorporated some but not all of 3rd ed plus some of the "player option" additions. We use a game world of his own creation. I am unaware of the class changes you noted above. We have been on hiatus for awhile due to turnover in players, so I haven't kept track of the updates, though he probably has. We have kept things simple class-wise, excluding dual-class characters and new classes like psionicists. I suppose we might reconsider that when we eventually start up again.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am a casual gamer. I rarely ever finish any games as my attention span is terrible.

I've watched a lot of gamers like Pewdiepie, Jackcepticeye, Markiplier, xChaseMoney2, and Callmekevin and I wanna stream games like they do!

It would give me incentive to finish all the games I want to play. As I'd love to entertain many playing games on Twitch/Youtube for example. :) It's a goal I have

Problem is I have no internet speed, but getting an update soon. So it might be good enough, if not I'm gonna have to move somewhere else JUST to start it. Because here in Utah our internet is comparable to Australia, which is insanely bad.

staticundertones

MBTI Type
INFJ
The first game I ever played was Pong on Atari. Something about the simplicity of that, it was pretty hypnotic. After that it was Space Invaders and Donkey Kong. Then came Nintendo, and I played the usual games, Super Mario Bros., Tetris, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, Double Dragon, Ninja Turtles, Adventure Island, World Games, F1 Pole Position. The game that really opened a new world to me was Dragon Warrior. Once I started playing that, I think I was about ten years old, I was very much locked into the RPG world, looking for more. Super Nintendo brought some awesome options. Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6(3), Evo, Harvest Moon, Illusion of Gaia, Secret of Mana. I think RPGs really came alive when Playstation came out, with FF7, FF8, FF9 (didn't like 10), Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Mana, Chrono Cross, Legend of Legaia, Tales of Destiny. I'm sure there are a lot of games I'm missing. I loved Zelda: Ocarina of Time on N64. I've always loved playing in the arcade too, and I can't forget about Mortal Kombat. YOU LOSE. Haha..
Now I play a lot of games on my pc, but nothing too involved really unless I know I have time to devote to it. I have a lot of emulators also. "To the Moon" is an amazing indie rpg, that's one I've played through in the last few years. I do play casual games too. I'd probably try more types of games if I thought my computer could handle it.

Oh yeah, I also like to do logic grids online, or Einstein's Riddle on my phone, or escape the room games online. Usually logic puzzles appeals to me with flash games.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to consider myself a gamer, but lately (last couple of years, say last five years) I have barely played any game and even when I did because a game came out that interested me, I usually only play them a couple of hours at most...

I am deeply concerned.

Gaming used to be the medium I could always rely on to kill some time with. But now I find myself having nothing interesting to do more and more often. I read a lot, but even that is kind of a deep pit for me. Only rarely do I really engross myself with a book. Most of the times I plow through like a machine hoping I'll end up enjoying it.

I played a little bit of Ark a couple of months ago. I think that was the only game I played actively (for more than just a couple of hours) in 2018. And even that I was sick of after a week or two.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the broad, modern sense of it (meaning any game at all, on any platform), I think I'd call myself a very casual gamer.
I've never gotten really sucked into gaming much as a teen (which made me feel a bit weird) and whatever games I do play, I play rather casually.

I don't follow any game developments, nor do I follow any Youtuber/Twitch LP runs/streams.

rav3n

Single player RPG and strategy games are my thing. But...I deliberately take month(s) and year(s) break since once hooked, it can get obsessive. No, I don't follow any gamers since I'd rather play my way than watch popular, usually jerkish gamers play. I enjoy watching my husband play. He's phenomenally good.

ducks

Permabanned
I used too. But now I mostly watch other people play. I've gotten a little bored with games nowadays, unless they are Indie games, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of creativity like there was 20 years ago.

I'm really getting to the point where I'd like to make games though, or at least one game that takes me many years to do, even if it doesn't sell well. I'd like to make something along the lines of "Observer", cyber-punky, but a lot less linear, something where the player explores concepts of the world and themselves and seeks out what draws them in. Something where the player has to constantly question everything about their reality and slowly build up an understanding of various aspects of it. And hopefully by the end of the game, the player has learned something specific to them and not just ran around shooting people, solving random puzzles, or following a pre-scripted interactive story.

I also realize how ambitious that is to do well though.

Madboot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a gamer. I've played 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition AD&D. I'm usually willing to play about any tabletop game or board game. I've played many PC games, with a heavy focus on RPG's. Some of my favorites are The Witcher series, The Gothic Series, Ultima Series, Wizardry Series, Quest for Glory series, all of the old "Gold Box" AD&D video games. Also a big fan of Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Star War Knights of the Old republic. One thing I haven't gotten into is MMO's.