• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Heathers (2018)

ThoughtBubbles

Pansexual Primadonna
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heathers.

I can't tell if it's genuinely making fun of third wave feminism only, if it's making fun of everyone and everything, or if it has a legit identity crisis.

All I know is I keep picking it back up because it's pretty. It's so fucking over the top that I still love it despite that I'm very much a SJW lol.

wat u guys think?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I didn't see it nor did I hear about it before it aired (weirdly enough); and now from what I read the whole production was fraught with peril, from episodes getting reduced / trimmed & merged, or not airing at all.

The wiki on it isn't too glowing:

The series was met with a negative response from critics both upon the initial release of the pilot episode as well as the official premiere of the series. On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds a 30% approval rating with an average rating of 5.38 out of 10 based on 20 reviews. The website's critical consensus reads, "Despite promising performers, Heathers' aspirational angst is let down by its blunt, misguided attempts at social commentary."[43] Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned the series a score of 40 out of 100 based on 9 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews."[44]

In a negative review, Daniel Fienberg of The Hollywood Reporter described the series as "a pale imitation" of the 1988 film, and went on to say that, "Having the high school tyranny associated with a gang of students who, in a different era, might have been marginalized produces a dark and almost reactionary undercurrent in which the disenfranchised aren't being bullied, but rather are wielding identity politics and political correctness as weapons".[45]

Leigh Monson of Birth.Movies.Death was similarly negative saying that she saw in the show's dynamics "a longing for the good old days when non-whites and queers knew their place." Monson concluded, "Heathers is a hateful, bigoted exercise in regression hiding behind the guise of dark comedy, and I can only hope it doesn't gain the Trumpian audience it so clearly craves."[46]

Samantha Allen of The Daily Beast panned the series saying, "If you believe that kids these days are fragile "snowflakes," that political correctness is running amok, and that LGBT people are now society's true bullies, this new Heathers is the show for you. The premiere of the rebooted cult classic, now airing for free online, takes place in a universe — clearly a fictional one—where the football team is oppressed and yesteryear's fat, queer, and black victims now rule the school with manicured fists. The show feels like it was written for aging Fox News viewers who get angry about people's gender pronouns — which is odd because it's clearly being marketed to a young and therefore progressive-leaning audience who may not remember the ... original."[47]

Series creator Jason Micallef responded to Allen's review on Twitter, in a since-deleted post, criticizing her review as a 'dumb hot take' and asserting that the audience was supposed to view the adults in the series as 'idiots'.[48]

The adults in the original were also clearly viewed as idiots, though (or at least way out of touch and/or unconcerned with the daily experience of teenagers). Is that actually the problem with the show? Maybe I'll watch an episode at some point, just to get a feel for it. It sounds like they flipped the roles around, but it's unclear whether it was meant to sarcastic and creative or actual social commentary. Because the reality is very different, in terms of who is in charge in school socially among the kids.

Anyway, I am a big fan of the original (and of the musical, which embodied the spirit of the movie) -- that film was one of the most representative of my generation, I think. It's quirky-funny-weird and also tries to find some level of moderation by the end... what it's like to wither under the bristle and glare of the popular kids when you're a no-name nobody nor involved in the high-profile programs like athletics (and it really was that way at the time), yet Heathers shows what happens when you flip the other way and go for straight-out vengeance or a little bit of pragmatic power redistribution. Somehow you have to find a middle road involving courage, decency, and backbone, rather than violence ... even if none of that would have been possible to start with without the removal of queen bee Heather Chandler. The movie is beautifully sarcastic, though, throughout.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a musical?! That's hilarious.

I was a big fan of the original too. The humor was refreshingly dark (without being so dark as to be vulgar) for the time.

If memory serves, even the original was a sort of parody/remake of a 70s slasher movie (Friday the 13th caliber) called Massacre at Central High.

ETA: The latter^ gave me nightmares when I was little.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's a musical?! That's hilarious.

yeah, it's actually got some funny stuff in it. Not quite in the range of Hamilton and The Book of Mormon, it's a little more conventional (weirdly) but fairly solid in spots. What's awesome on the recording is that the Veronica lead is dead-on for Winona Ryder, you'd honestly think it was her. The JD guy isn't bad, there are moments when he sounds just like Christian Slater.

Heathers: The Musical - Wikipedia

It actually follows the movie pretty closely, with some minor alterations (like consolidating Martha and Betty Ford into one character, or having JD fight Kurt and Ram (rather than pulling a gun on them) in school ... although the gun is used later as per the movie).

it's kind of fun to see what ideas/things got translated into song. One or two don't hit as much, but there's a few really great ones... sometimes funny, sometimes a bit haunting.

I picked up a copy of the script book off Amazon just to see the dialogue, Spotify has the soundtrack for stream.

I was a big fan of the original too. The humor was refreshingly dark (without being so dark as to be vulgar) for the time.

If memory serves, even the original was a sort of parody/remake of a 70s slasher movie (Friday the 13th caliber) called Massacre at Central High.

ETA: The latter^ gave me nightmares when I was little.

hahaha! I had no idea about Massacre at Central High. Now I want to check it out.

They originally were not going to cast Winona Ryder (they wanted -- get this -- either Justine Bateman or Jennifer Connelly) but I'm glad they got her, the others just weren't really suited for the role. No knock against either of them.

tumblr_mna08f0wZj1r5eeoto1_500.png

gawd I love Corn Nuts. I just don't eat them much cuz of the calories packed in such a small bag.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
220px-Massacre_at_Central_High_FilmPoster.jpeg

The imdb synopsis:

A high school transfer student, pushed to the edge by a trio of brutal bullies, resorts to murder to reclaim the school from oppression, and later turns against the students wanting to fill the vacuum of their oppressors.​

They originally were not going to cast Winona Ryder (they wanted -- get this -- either Justine Bateman or Jennifer Connelly) but I'm glad they got her, the others just weren't really suited for the role. No knock against either of them.

I like both of those actresses, but Ryder was kinda perfect for that role. It would not have been the same movie without her.