• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Show us your collections!

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Do you collect anything? Games, movies, books, figurines, mugs, lawn furniture from the 1960s? Show and tell us about it here!

----

Here's one of my collections--Animorphs books!

What is Animorphs? It's a children's series about a group of kids that are thrust into a war between several alien races, including the enslavement of their own. The main series is also well-known for their cover art always depicting a member of the Animorphs morphing into another creature, as well as the "flip book" morphing animation retained at the bottom of each page in the book.

Example cover:

They are very simple, quick reads. But I quite enjoyed them (read most of them as an adult) due to their large amount of world building and very dark themes. Hell, the ending was so depressing that I cried a LOT. I'd definitely recommend at least giving #1 - The Invasion a once over to see what it's all about. Realistically, you can start at almost any book because the first chapter is always an introduction meant for new readers...but there is a degree of story progression throughout the series, so it's best to read them in order if possible. And if anyone's interested in digital copies, rep me or shoot me a PM!

----

More about my collection:

I only owned a couple of these as a child. Believe it or not, I collected most of these during a short span of time in my undergrad years before stopping suddenly. A decent amount of these are just duplicates, unfortunately. Though I don't own all of them (I am missing around 25 books), I read all of them several years back in digital format.

Sadly, they sit packed away in a box for now, but I intend to put them all neatly on a bookshelf when I get a place all to myself in a few years. Perhaps one day I will resume collecting them and complete my collection too.

----

Some recommended reads:

----

Coolest cover art goes to...

Tomb1

I collect exemplars for each enneagram type, wing and stack and have done so for years now. At a later point, I expanded into socionics. I pull a lot from current events, art and entertainment, history, all genres of music, sports (even the obscure ones like professional arm wrestling), true crime...I've got a piece of just about every subculture and racket there is. Here are four recent additions to my list:

Frank Dux: SEE-Se 6w7 so/sp

Patrick Nee: ILI-Te 8w9 sp/sx

Mark "Jacko" Jackson: LSE-Si 6w5 so/sp

Kamala Harris: IEE-Ne 9w1 so/sp

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
I collect, bones, preserve dead things I find, I collect crystals, and other mineral specimens, plants, leaves, flowers, mosses, sea weed, etc. wild egg shells, old photographs I find discarded. books on folklore, mythology, spirituality, philosophy, the occult, art, other humanities, and the life sciences. I collect stories, love letters, and poems. I collect old bottles, and how to guides. I collect lore.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to collect pencils. It was kind of the perfect collectible in my eyes, small, inexpensive, didn’t take up much space and it’s sold everywhere.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to collect knitting and crocheting magazines/booklets. They are packed away at the moment, but here's a taste:

This is my favorite:
img107_small2.jpg

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a couple of collections at this point, though only one - a childhood one - was fully of my own doing.
Which is -- Sandylion brand fuzzy stickers!!!! And there are many more pages than these lovely specimans.

uLX0Qt6.jpg

And here's a brief step back into the first half of the 1980's and its amazing sticker offerings:
l7cICNC.jpg

Now onto more serious matters. I guess by now I have a 'bird collection', though a handful of these were gifted to me over the years, including the Black-throated Blue Warbler which was my favorite bird and what got me started into birding. The ones circled in aqua are most 'special' to me in that they're all from overseas. The purple circled ones were my grandfather's so I guess those are special in a different way.
rCMowXF.jpg

And then this one is now a collection but not at all of my own doing, I just happen to like it at this point. My mom started giving me little jewel boxes for xmas starting 10+ years ago and I've gotten one almost every year. Not something I ever would have bought on my own but I find it cute.
Fh58si0.jpg

/DG/

[MENTION=30038]Gentleman Jack[/MENTION] - Do you seriously collect bones and preserve dead things? I'd love to see pictures! (Hopefully that didn't sound too creepy of a request; it's a legitimate hobby...)
[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] - What made you collect these? I mean, I get that I'm sure they have neat ideas in them, but typically there's a bit more of a backstory involved in collections. Heh.
[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] - OMFG I am in LOVE with those little figurines in the last picture! Are they really all jewelry boxes? They seem a bit small for jewelry. Either way, they are absolutely adorable. :3

The Cat

Staff member
[MENTION=30038]Gentleman Jack[/MENTION] - Do you seriously collect bones and preserve dead things? I'd love to see pictures! (Hopefully that didn't sound too creepy of a request; it's a legitimate hobby...)

[MENTION=35566]Luminous[/MENTION] - What made you collect these? I mean, I get that I'm sure they have neat ideas in them, but typically there's a bit more of a backstory involved in collections. Heh.

[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] - OMFG I am in LOVE with those little figurines in the last picture! Are they really all jewelry boxes? They seem a bit small for jewelry. Either way, they are absolutely adorable. :3

Sure thing ^_^ it's in pieces and parts , but expect what I can pull out of storage in a few days or so. There's nothing super fancy mind you, and its very out of date due to the dwindling access to nature, but in time I hope to remedy that. Fantastic thread DG

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish I collected things, it looks cool. Sadly I am a boring man who hates clutter.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I collect, bones, preserve dead things I find, I collect crystals, and other mineral specimens, plants, leaves, flowers, mosses, sea weed, etc. wild egg shells, old photographs I find discarded. books on folklore, mythology, spirituality, philosophy, the occult, art, other humanities, and the life sciences. I collect stories, love letters, and poems. I collect old bottles, and how to guides. I collect lore.

This is wild. On second thought I think I would also collect cystals and minerals given the chance, that's something I could see hoarding.

Does it not end up as clutter, though? Do you ever throw anything away after some time?

The Cat

Staff member
This is wild. On second thought I think I would also collect cystals and minerals given the chance, that's something I could see hoarding.

Does it not end up as clutter, though? Do you ever throw anything away after some time?

If it deteriorates. Which does happen from time to time, especially with the climate; I have the potential for a lot of shelf space, and a cabinet of curiosities; I'm looking for a roller top desk and some apothecary drawers and old card catalogues for better access and organization. I imagine if I were to take all the books and display the collection how I want it would look like I lived in a wizards tower or a haunted curiosity shop.:rly???:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I now have a thing about clutter myself... so most of my collections are digital. ;)

Why did I collect the booklets/magazines? Largely I love the aesthetics, some of the photography is beautiful, a lot of it is kitschy. And, of course, there are patterns I want/wanted to make. I have made a few items from them. I also collected some vintage yarn, particularly narrow ribbon yarn, which is not made nowadays.

/DG/

Heh. Speaking of which...I've always wanted to own a human skeleton...but then my professor informed me that it was illegal...

The only reason why my university had real human bones was because they are incredibly incredibly old...before people frowned upon such things. :p

The Cat

Staff member
Heh. Speaking of which...I've always wanted to own a human skeleton...but then my professor informed me that it was illegal...

The only reason why my university had real human bones was because they are incredibly incredibly old...before people frowned upon such things. :p

I've actually considered looking for work as a cemetary care taker in a small rural town somewhere with 4 seasons. It would be kind of a dream job.

And the things that are illegal can be ridiculous. I'm bequeathing my skull to my favorite child. Unless I do the urban legend thing when I die...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:) Thanks! Aren't they the best? And yeah, I think they're called 'jewel boxes' but yes they are very small - each one has a little compartment inside and they could hold a few pieces of jewelry at the most, assuming not giant jewelry.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Interesting. When younger I went through a period where I was interested in rocks and minerals, and I still have some favorites that I had found as a kid. I also remember buying, when at Yellowstone Natl Park, a bag of 50 labelled minerals, which I thought was so cool. I think I still have those as well, in one of my few 'kid boxes' that I kept. I also got one of those rock tumbler things for xmas one year that I thought was super cool, and so it was powered on for months while the rocks were tumbled.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It just occurred to me that one of my 'collections' is actually what I consider to be beautiful scarves, runners, tapestries, etc, that are more unique and not mass produced in the sense of finding them at target or costco. I drape what were intended to be scarves over end tables. I got all of these items in different countries, as they are much cheaper than they'd ever be if sold in a boutique store in the u.s. (some of the scarves were between 5 and 10 dollars a piece, the long greenish table runner was maybe 20 bucks, etc). I definitely have a soft spot for these kinds of things.

OpJYOaf.jpg

2BilDvm.jpg

YafJuOI.jpg

Metis

LOL I have a box with some shells and bones I found in the Persian Gulf once on a trip there. I half want to throw it out because it's useless, but I'm afraid I'd miss it, so I'm hoarding it.

I found a dragonfly corpse a month or so ago. It was one of the large, turquoise ones. I planned on going to get some gloves and a paper cup or something to transport it in, but then I decided it was better to leave it outside to the wind, the earth, and the crows, rather than to have it clutter up my house.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I collect two things. The first thing is books. It's very specific though. I have a collection of typology books. I also have a collection of book from some specific authors - Brandon Sanderson, Joan Vinge and Lois McMaster Bujold.

The second thing I collect is wine. I don't have a way to provide a photo. It's in offsite storage an hour from my house and I only go there a few times a year, but I do keep an inventory of the wines in a program that continuously assesses valuation based on auction results. Mostly, I'm adding things to the collection. Once in a while I'll drink a few bottles.

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. When younger I went through a period where I was interested in rocks and minerals, and I still have some favorites that I had found as a kid. I also remember buying, when at Yellowstone Natl Park, a bag of 50 labelled minerals, which I thought was so cool. I think I still have those as well, in one of my few 'kid boxes' that I kept. I also got one of those rock tumbler things for xmas one year that I thought was super cool, and so it was powered on for months while the rocks were tumbled.

I did a bit of that when I was a kid. I was also into collecting coins.