User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your Primary Attribute when you play RPGs?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strength

1 14.29%
  • Dexterity

2 28.57%
  • Constitution

0 0%
  • Intelligence

2 28.57%
  • Wisdom

0 0%
  • Charisma

2 28.57%

Weaver of Worlds... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Default Roll for stats....

Do you play Table Top or Video Game Role Playing Games?

If you're a Knight of Pen and Paper or a Video Gaming Techno Mage....

Let's talk about stats, style of play, and how we incorporate it across platforms and properties.

to Begin, consider answering the Pole, what's your prime attribute at level 1 and beyond?

Do you like playing a specific role for your party? Or do you favor a more balanced character?

Why do you play? What do you like to play? And what do you like your game sessions to include?

So...Roll for Initiative...
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

Disaster's snapping at my heels and it's time that I was somewhere far away. It's all up to me again, ennit? Somehow, I've got to stay ahead and get some new aces up my sleeve. But right now, all I really need's a smoke.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Like anyone who has been roleplaying for multiple decades, my characters have varied a lot. I think in many ways, it would be more telling to consider the types of characters I've never bothered with. I don't recall ever trying to play a charmer or trickster type (though I have played character with forceful personalities). Indeed, social characters seem to be largely absent from my repertoire. I once played a rather dumb character, who acted even more stupid than he really was so people would underestimate him, but that's about as close as I get.

I don't tend to play Paladin types either. I find them rather tedious. The most interesting characters tend to be in the middle of the spectrum somewhere.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

Weaver of Worlds... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

I enjoy playing the party face, negotiating contracts, deals for supplies, research, typically I've played rogues, rangers, and druids the most in VG. I'm quite enjoying playing a warlock in D&D 5th edition TT
    With all due respect,
    -Jack.

Disaster's snapping at my heels and it's time that I was somewhere far away. It's all up to me again, ennit? Somehow, I've got to stay ahead and get some new aces up my sleeve. But right now, all I really need's a smoke.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

To clarify my answer, in older computer games I typically preferred fast and mobile characters above strength if I had a choice. (Even in arcade games, for Gauntlet for example, I was prone to playing the elf, not the barbarian or the slower wizard.) in SWTOR, I played more mobile jedi's. When I did play tabletop WoD, I played a celerity vampire who could do parkour and rode a motorcycle... not very strong but very fast and also charismatic.

I am typically thinking in terms of class and character concept, not a stat per se. For example, in WoW, I typically play a pally or priest but am working on playing various classes to expand my knowledge of the game. Pally can frustrate me a bit only in that she's slower than other classes, so I actually like to acquire items to boost her speed and make her more mobile. But in the last 6 years of tabletop gaming, I've played a human barb, an aasimar paladin/oracle, a sylph rogue/wizard, a halfling monk/barb, a flying blaster hero, a shadow sorcerer/bard, a 2-weapon fighter, and a cryptic/thrallherd lich.

So there's some stretch there where I am trying new things (I've got a bunch of premade character concepts I might like to try at some point), although fastness and face seem to fit well. I sometimes spend building points in areas to make the character more interesting rather than being the best mechanically. My sorc/bard has no extra points in Wis (because she's kind of gullible IMO) but I gave her higher intelligence because she's an anthropologist and collects information, even if stat-wise I guess it would have been better to dump it in DEX, CON, or CHR if possible.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

My spiritually attracted to the types people say are bad, or difficult in games. Which is usually ranged, or dexterous classes. I just love the challenge, and as long as that character has potential for being good/glass nuke yeah im gonna play it.

Ive never played tabletop games, but understand the mechanics somewhat.
    Nohari, Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I've played both table top and pc rpgs. I tend to prefer intelligent characters. I will play different classes though. In 2nd edition D&D my favorite character was a ranger. In 3rd I had a really versatile monk/psychic warrior. In video games I usually like a character that can combine combat skills with magic, as well as some solid crafting ability. In Torment: Tides of Numenerra I had a really cool Nano (tech wizard) who was telepathic. I beat that game with that character, and with his skill set I only actually had to fight twice.
    The strong manly ones in life are those who understand the meaning of the word patience. Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, adoration, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient. I am not as strong as I might be, but I have long known and practiced patience. And if my descendants wish to be as I am, they must study patience.

Ieyasu Tokugawa